Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics To Battle!: Hell's Crusade - satirical medieval turn-based tactics

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

I just finished this tactical indie game:

Build an army from 3 different kinds of heavy infantry, 2 kinds of archers, scouts, cavalry and ballistas for 8 distinct unit types in total. All very usable. Also a perk based progression system, like Warbanners but with a bit more depth.
16 Missions 11-12 hours of game time.
Really high difficulty, later missions in the Adventure Campaign and most missions in the Tactical Campaign took me multiple attempts.
The game was frustrating at times, as it liberally features turn timers, sometimes combined with Xcom 2 style pods of enemies which activate when you move into their vision range. Also some units are really squishy, and having your Lord oneshot for an instant gameover after a 45 minute map is borderline ragequit inducing.
Still when its good its really good. It has been a while since I had a headache from the final fight of a tactical game, very satisfying conclusion. Almost as good as Warbanners if you take the sheer quality of tactical gameplay, with very high lethality and no healing.
Has nothing to offer beyond a nice aesthetic and deep combat, as the writing is violently unfunny, but does a game need more than good combat?
Check it out, it deserves a bit more attention.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Has nothing to offer beyond a nice aesthetic and deep combat, as the writing is violently unfunny, but does a game need more than good combat?
Check it out, it deserves a bit more attention.

If you liked that aesthetic, check out Wartile.
It's a RTwP though. Or more precisely RT with Time-Slowdown.

It even had a DLC called "Hel's Nightmare", which can't be just a coincidence considering how both games look.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you liked that aesthetic, check out Wartile.

Already did. I liked it somewhat, but Hells Crusade is better. Both are pretty short and somewhat buggy, but pure tb is better than rtwp for a combat based game like this, and the customisation in Hells Crusade felt a bit more meaningfull.
Also Wartile crashed on me once and ate an hour of progress, as the game does not have autosaves at the end of missions, so that left a grudge within me.
Maybe I will give it another shot when I get over that grudge, as Wartile is genuinly gorgeous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom