Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Todd Howard Appreciation Thread

what do you think of Todd?

• i like him and i like bethesda

• he's a nice guy but i'm not getting scammed again

• i'd play bethesda games, don't care about todd tho

• i don't like him, i don't like bethesda games, and i only play turn-based games

• who is todd? (kc)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gargaune

Magister
Eh, I like Todd, he comes across as a personable chap. As for Bethesda in general, sure, they keep making the same game with the same flaws and a giant "SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED" sticker, but I still have fun with it for longer than I care to admit.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
At least he doesn't seem to be WOKE, spend too much time on social media or have his games revolve around romances.
So that makes him better than most modern game designers, I'd think.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Eh, I like Todd, he comes across as a personable chap. As for Bethesda in general, sure, they keep making the same game with the same flaws and a giant "SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED" sticker, but I still have fun with it for longer than I care to admit.
An old History teacher of mine said if it isn't broke don't fix it. In some cases that is sort of true with Elder Scrolls. I'm damn glad there are modders for the various games. Maybe even Redguard and Battlespire will get something of a fix.... maybe.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
An old History teacher of mine said if it isn't broke don't fix it.

This is one of those Americanisms that really triggers me.

You simply can't fix something that that isn't broken.

It's impossible.

edit: incurable
crazyrobot.gif
americans checking in: 1 Gregz

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Fuck this midget clown. He is the epitome of greedy corpo.

How stupid do you have to be to cheer for this lying piece of shit. He was a fucking game tester who somehow climbed to the top. How the fuck do incompetent people who don't know shit about coding end up at the top of an gaming company? I know a lot of testers and they are some of the most stupid people ever. If you can't code you become a tester.
Yeah as we all know a game director has to write thousands of lines of code everyday. Todd Howard more like Fraud Howard am I right?
Knowing something about it would help.
Testers are low IQ individuals. They should never lead anything.
He never was a tester. He produced the Bethesda Terminator game and worked on the CD-ROM version of Arena.

They had terminator games before Todd, he's not credited on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terminator:_Rampage
coincidentally the game has more involved "crafting" than the FO4 project or even mods and ofc 76.

Makes you think what kind of gameplay loop they think they have if a 1993 game needs more preparations before you can use a weapon.
He joined Bethesda in 94, they released released two Terminator games after that.
Source - https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/terminator-future-shock/credits
And take a look at this (after the Microsoft deal).
tu9acksrlmo51.jpg
Let me guess, they were shit.

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
At least he doesn't seem to be WOKE, spend too much time on social media or have his games revolve around romances.
So that makes him better than most modern game designers, I'd think.
This right here. Beth's games all seem pretty agenda-free compared to what we've seen from most AAA studios in the last 10-15 years. Started to see a bit more of it when I tried out 76, but mostly ignorable. It's probably just a matter of time, but it's nice that I can still relax in Todd's sandboxes without encountering stunning and brave writing and BioWare-level romance scenes around every corner.

I like Todd. We all know what to expect from his games by now and some of us probably play them more than we'd be comfortable discussing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Beth games don't push propaganda but they do make concessions so they won't be criticized (e.g. the total removal of prostitutes and prostitution from Fallout and the playersexual harem romances)

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Beth games don't push propaganda but they do make concessions so they won't be criticized (e.g. the total removal of prostitutes and prostitution from Fallout and the playersexual harem romances)
Good point. Fallout 3 had a handful of prostitutes you could sleep with but it was overall pretty toned down after Fallout 2. I'm pretty sure Fallout 4 didn't have any. It was pretty much the same with slavery, Fallout 3 had a quest where you could sell a child into slavery iirc then 4 pretty much never got into slavery at all. The companions in 4 did take a turn towards the BioWare style, but at least all the romances and shit were pretty ignorable.

Todd's games seem to ignore a lot of both old-school (darker edgy themes) and new-school (cringe romance cutscenes) RPG trends, which might help explain why they're often so vanilla.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Todd about his top 10 most awaited videogames (originally posted in september 6, 2000).

mlzheiD.png

rating_prestigious.png

fun fact - two years later Bethesda will serve as a publisher for Sea Dogs 2 (rebranded as a Pirates of the Caribbean movie tie-in).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom