Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Todd Howard Appreciation Thread

what do you think of Todd?

• i like him and i like bethesda

• he's a nice guy but i'm not getting scammed again

• i'd play bethesda games, don't care about todd tho

• i don't like him, i don't like bethesda games, and i only play turn-based games

• who is todd? (kc)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tihskael

Learned
Man its so good to see Todd in good health. Long may he reign!

Wunderbar

Arcane
ny1h3aj2tmx71.jpg

Todd seems to have aged slightly. :negative::negative::negative:
OxnKaAo.jpg

Wunderbar

Arcane
tl;dr

- Seems like Todd doesn't want to share Fallout with any other MS-owned studios.
- He said they (bethesda) already have a bunch of ideas for the next Fallout written down (a design-doc?).
- Starfield is fully playable from start to finish.
- Todd mentioned how he doesn't think that 60 fps are all that important, and that he prefers to cut framerate in favor of visual complexity.
- Which means on consoles Starfield will probably run at 30 fps with dynamic resolution, lol.
- Starfield will have the same skill system as TES games (i.e. in order to upgrade smithing skill you must craft 100 simple phasers)
- Starfield will also have a faction system very similar to Skyrim. I hope he meant "Imperial legion vs Stormcloaks" thing, and not the fact that you could join and become a grandmaster of every guild in the world at the same time.
- Both Starfield and TES6 will be single-player games, though TES6 may feature some social elements (ew).

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
- Starfield will also have a faction system very similar to Skyrim. I hope he meant "Imperial legion vs Stormcloaks" thing, and not the fact that you could join and become a grandmaster of every guild in the world at the same time.

Now we can become Grandmaster of every guild in the Galaxy!

Gargaune

Magister
- Seems like Todd doesn't want to share Fallout with any other MS-owned studios.
dollars.png
+
rating_butthurt.png
=
rating_lulz.gif

- He said they (bethesda) already have a bunch of ideas for the next Fallout written down (a design-doc?).
time.png

- Starfield is fully playable from start to finish.
meh.png

- Todd mentioned how he doesn't think that 60 fps are all that important, and that he prefers to cut framerate in favor of visual complexity.
rating_agenda.png

- Which means on consoles Starfield will probably run at 30 fps with dynamic resolution, lol.
smug.png

- Starfield will have the same skill system as TES games (i.e. in order to upgrade smithing skill you must craft 100 simple phasers)
rating_shit.png

mystery.png

- Both Starfield and TES6 will be single-player games,
incline.png

though TES6 may feature some social elements (ew).
upyours.png

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
- He said they (bethesda) already have a bunch of ideas for the next Fallout written down (a design-d

Someone else might show off that they can do Fallout better than Bethesda ever could.

I would godhonestly like to tell him and his people that outside their sycophantic mob of ass kissers that no one gives a shit about their ideas for Fallout.
Bethesda never understood Fallout, they designed their own games based on analysis of the elements and the few bits that jumped out to the Bethesda team when they first saw Fallout 1 and 2.
Their own effort has been a continuous flanderizaton of the franchise, making it more and more irrelevant with each and every new game they produce. It may get a load or praise from journalists and people to whom this was their first RPG, anything with more numbers and choices is scary, but as a creative IP it has lost most if not all reason to exist any more.

The next Fallout is just going to be power fantasy number #43 with recycled elements from Fo1 and 2 in it with the same loads of songs from FO3 and 4 that are cheap to license, and another wasteland playground that could just as well be a redress of the Capital Wasteland.

It is a complete fucking product at this point. Why even bother getting people involved in making up stuff? Just have some AI algorithm do it, it is faster and probably on the same level of that of a bunch of middle age men who lost touch with any creativity ages ago.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Q: I've read that a goal of Starfield is that it will be more of a "hardcore RPG". Can you verify this and flesh that out in more detail?

Does that mean that the character creation will be more complicated like it was in Morrowind and Oblivion?

A: Really excited about what the team has done with character creation here. Including choosing background, skills, etc. You also can pick your pronoun (he, she, they) and we've recorded all the relevant dialogue to support that choice.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Q: I've read that a goal of Starfield is that it will be more of a "hardcore RPG". Can you verify this and flesh that out in more detail?

Does that mean that the character creation will be more complicated like it was in Morrowind and Oblivion?

A: Really excited about what the team has done with character creation here. Including choosing background, skills, etc. You also can pick your pronoun (he, she, they) and we've recorded all the relevant dialogue to support that choice.

a clown world answer to a clown world question

it takes a real fucking idiot to believe Bethesda in current year would make anything resembling a "hardcore RPG"

Terra

Cipher
Congrats Todd, you've wasted who knows how much money recording variations of VO lines that don't make grammatical sense, all for a tiny fraction of deranged people who live on Twitter.

Azdul

Magister
Imagine being hyped for any Bethesda game in 2021 AD.

Sometimes i envy some people's simplicity. I really do.
I'm really hyped for Daggerfall in 2021 - Unity version should hit 1.0 before end of the year.

Looking at official remakes of Gothic 1, Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect and GTA - Todd and Bethesda do not get enough praise for NOT bastardizing their classics for a quick buck :P

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Someone else might show off that they can do Fallout better than Bethesda ever could.

I would godhonestly like to tell him and his people that outside their sycophantic mob of ass kissers that no one gives a shit about their ideas for Fallout.
Bethesda never understood Fallout, they designed their own games based on analysis of the elements and the few bits that jumped out to the Bethesda team when they first saw Fallout 1 and 2.
Their own effort has been a continuous flanderizaton of the franchise, making it more and more irrelevant with each and every new game they produce. It may get a load or praise from journalists and people to whom this was their first RPG, anything with more numbers and choices is scary, but as a creative IP it has lost most if not all reason to exist any more.

The next Fallout is just going to be power fantasy number #43 with recycled elements from Fo1 and 2 in it with the same loads of songs from FO3 and 4 that are cheap to license, and another wasteland playground that could just as well be a redress of the Capital Wasteland.

It is a complete fucking product at this point. Why even bother getting people involved in making up stuff? Just have some AI algorithm do it, it is faster and probably on the same level of that of a bunch of middle age men who lost touch with any creativity ages ago.

This is from an interview he did a few years back.

"How do you feel about a number of gamers out there disapproving of your vision and direction for Fallout? What do you say to them?"

Todd Howard: "At the end of the day I achieved my dream as a nerd and that was to make games. I created worlds, I gave experiences, I made memories, I re-released the same game so many times Capcom admires me. My imprint on this industry, my legacy, it is forever here. I could wake up tomorrow, shoot up an old age home and then set fire to an entire schoolbus of children and you'll still remember me as the legend who delivered classics such as Morrowind. I met my dream woman, I fell in love, I have memes that depict me as Jesus descending, gamers worldwide admire me, I'm fifty years old but I don't look a day over thirty. I've achieved everything I ever wanted and then some. I traveled the world, I saw everything there was worth seeing, experienced everything there was to experience, I can look back on my life and be satisfied... but am I? No. I'm not satisfied. I should be satisfied, I know you would be and that's well and good because at the end of the day while I may be a five foot humanoid you're a mere five out of ten human. You are perfectly mediocre, decent on a sunny day... but I'm Todd Howard. I don't settle, I don't grow complacent. Even as I speak right now I'm thinking of four different ways to bring Skyrim to the next three generations.

You asked me what I thought about New Vegas, right? That's what you wanted to know? I think New Vegas sucks. People like you talk about how great it was, how it really put Fallout 3 to shame. Listen asshole, I single-handedly brought back from the dead your stupid fucking Wasteland-wannabe IP. As far as I'm concerned I could have turned Fallout into a rhythm dance game -- and that was a consideration by the way -- but I didn't because at the end of the day that was not the game I wanted to play. Most of all, I gave the world Liam Neeson. He was your father. I made Liam Neeson your father. I started the game with you coming out of your dead mother's vagina and looking at a kid's book to choose your stats. Please remind me how New Vegas began? Oh, right, with you getting your ass handed to you and left for dead. Great stuff, Obsidian. Real gripping. Can't wait to play Pillars of Eternity and see how that one introduces us to the world.

So do I feel bad about the direction I took Fallout? No. That's my answer, to be brief.

And what do I say to those gamers who dislike it? Take a swing, but don't expect VATS to save you this time."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom