Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ToEE is fucking awesome bros

kaizoku

Arcane
phelot said:
I thought the prevailing strategy for the hill giant is to charm the bear.
So that the hill giant gets him from behind and rapes him?
Sir, you disgust me!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you're stealthy, you can just steal the nice loot (it's not on them) while they are sleeping.

Cynic

Arcane
But then no EXP. I want the EXP. All things considered though, I am now level 5. Since the original game's level cap is 10, does that mean I am halfway through the whole fucking game? How much extra content does Co8 actually add?

From what I understand, I've only got Nulb and then the Temple itself to do. Are they huge?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The temple is.

There are a few hidden things too. You've got the Co8 NC (new content) right?

There are lots of little restorations and new things, that aren't immediately obvious.
I would advise you to explore the village some more. There is more than one area it opens up (at least on the latest c8 version).

And the temple itself, well, it has more than one way to go.
About 3 or 4 if i count them correctly.

Cynic

Arcane
That's good to know. Yes I have Co8 NC installed. How expansive is the new content exactly? Like...is it like an expansion or just like little bits and pieces.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Bits and pieces.
There is a new, kinda "battle rush" map, there is a new encounter with some undead, there is a new encounter with a few spiders, there is one betrayal, there is a new npc (that girl in the tower), there are some restorations in the temple (hostages), there is a arena.

Thing is, i haven't played the original, so this is from reading their forums.

Next one supposedly will have a new quest nexus (a city), and a new large battle (war of the golden skull or whatever).

BTW, there is a hard ending slides to get if you're the right kind of evil.

Cynic

Arcane
Oh right so they are still working on new updates for it. I saw a video of that golden skull thing, looked pretty cool. Quite sad that this game, this engine, will just end when I finish it though...fucking decline.

Cynic

Arcane
I've got a question bros. I rolled a ranger and he was doing alright with a longbow, I spec'd him for archery. But then I equipped him with a long spear and he is killing everything now.

I was going to multi class him, not sure if the later ranger skills are that useful and I'm about to hit level 5. Was thinking druid to get some cool spells what do you think? Might be fun. I kind of like the idea of a ranger druid, some sort of super tree hugging hippie of doom.

edit: also, is it true that your npcs can't craft for you?

JrK

Prophet
Rangers are quite good as "switch-hitters" with the archery style. Give them Quick Draw and Power Attack and a good two-hander and they'll be equally good at ranged fighting but awesome melee combatants when the need arises.

NPCs cant craft for you iirc but you can craft magical shit yourself.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Bought it. Downloaded the CO8 mods. When I try to enter Jaroo's house the game crashes*

sometimes.

Got things rolling finally. My party: Barbarian, Sorcerer, Ranger (archery), Bard (Gnomey little shit), Cleric (Half-Orc, dual-wielding). Do I stand a chance? I can't rest anywhere or else giant snakes one shot my party before we have enough time to throw off the sleeping bags. It was a bitch just killing a mean enemy barbarian who bee-line to my Sorc and one-shot anything that got in his way.

RatFink

Educated
you are fine
when in doubt just grind a bit at the declo grove or something similar. trolls are fuckers to kill at low lvl tho.

my band of do gooders (barbarian, fighter/rogue, cleric, bard and wizard) are at lvl 15 now, except for the cleric and wizard because i crafted shitloads of gear.
(being lvl 14/15 and all...some wizard spells dont seem to work..so i wasted 1 or 2 spells chosing the wrong ones :( )

they are pretty much capable of slaughtering everything in their way, except for these beholder things that surprised me recently without being buffed...that was humiliating how fast they destroyed my party...
..the slavers are utterly destroying me too.
let's see them again after i went through the nodes.

im using the co8 nc stuff.

Cynic

Arcane
sser, I think you're fine but you might want another melee fighter...can a cleric get the two weapon fighting feat? Half Orc cleric is kind of cool...

Don't go to the moathouse right away, I think level 2/3 is a good level to go there. You should level up pretty fast once inside, but there's a few quests beforehand that will get you leveled up as well. Maybe don't take an NPC before that so that you don't have to split the XP too much.

Since you're in need of a fighter, maybe try Elmo, I think he's meant to be quite strong. He has a magical weapon on him too, I think it's a dagger of some sort.

Cynic

Arcane
Sitra Achara said:
That's not true - NPCs can craft just fine.

Confirmed, Spugnoir can craft shit for me. Is this a Co8 fix? I think the way NPCs were handled was actually an excellent way to give the game a kind of liquid difficulty setting. You can choose to do it all on your own, you'll get more XP and more money/loot, but it might be hard at first. Or you can get NPCs, make the game easier, but you don't get as much loot.

I guess it was kind of implemented poorly/buggy in the vanilla version though. But the idea in of itself is really great imo.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Agreed. In general, if the early game is too hard for you, just hire Elmo. He's level 4, and he's got some great magical gear. With a couple of buffs he'll destroy all your enemies almost single handedly. Furnok is great for scouting with his ring of invisibility, and Fruella can kick ass too with her keen cleaver (if you can stand her :P). Not to mention Meleny's dowry of Holy +1 longsword.

The looting system is indeed a damn shame, it's one of those things that are begging to be redone should the source code become available (or the recreation project be completed).

Re. crafting, I think it always worked for NPCs. One thing vanilla ToEE lacked, though, is a Cleric NPC to craft holy or axiomatic weapons, and that was indeed added. (well, there was Mother Screng, but the circumstances of obtaining her as an NPC were very narrow and hard to find, and in vanilla she couldn't even gain the crafting feat due to the level 10 limit). Although, I must confess, I hate the new Cleric's guts.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
So I just started this with Co8 6.0 NC. I get the impression 7.0 is coming out fairly soon, am I right and should I wait for it?

Man, Knights of the Chalice had a way better interface. I have about a billion questions and whenever there was something I didn't understand in Knights of the Chalice, I had to click maybe twice to figure it out. Now I'm scouring the internet for stuff about this game and I can't find anything. I don't know anything at all about D&D 3.5 so I've got a bunch of questions that are probably pretty basic, but I have no idea. What's a decent party build? At the moment I'm thinking of having a fighter, cleric, wizard and bard for diplomacy and lockpicking stuff, but I'm not even sure what a bard is. What do bards do and is diplomacy stuff really even necessary in this game? Would a rogue be better or are bards decent in this? I understand that sorcerers use charisma instead of intelligence; would they make a good diplomatic alternative to a bard? Also, what's a good option for my fifth character? Lastly, is there anywhere I can go to get a rundown of what each weapon is? I'm thinking of specializing my fighter in two-weapon fighting bastard swords, because that was pretty killer in KotC, but I have no idea what half of these weapons are.

I appreciate the help!

kaizoku

Arcane
cboyardee said:
So I just started this with Co8 6.0 NC. I get the impression 7.0 is coming out fairly soon, am I right and should I wait for it?

Man, Knights of the Chalice had a way better interface. I have about a billion questions and whenever there was something I didn't understand in Knights of the Chalice, I had to click maybe twice to figure it out. Now I'm scouring the internet for stuff about this game and I can't find anything. I don't know anything at all about D&D 3.5 so I've got a bunch of questions that are probably pretty basic, but I have no idea. What's a decent party build? At the moment I'm thinking of having a fighter, cleric, wizard and bard for diplomacy and lockpicking stuff, but I'm not even sure what a bard is. What do bards do and is diplomacy stuff really even necessary in this game? Would a rogue be better or are bards decent in this? I understand that sorcerers use charisma instead of intelligence; would they make a good diplomatic alternative to a bard? Also, what's a good option for my fifth character? Lastly, is there anywhere I can go to get a rundown of what each weapon is? I'm thinking of specializing my fighter in two-weapon fighting bastard swords, because that was pretty killer in KotC, but I have no idea what half of these weapons are.

I appreciate the help!
Did you even try their forums? I recommend you to register there and pose your questions.
Have you tried reading the manual too?

Regarding your character and party build:
http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?p=103254

I would recommend you to play the game just for fun (until your party gets to 3rd level or so) so that you get accustomed to it. Then you can start a new game and know what you're doing.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Thanks. Yeah, I skimmed the forum but it seemed pretty inactive. Also the stuff about weapons isn't in the manual and I'd imagine the role of bards is significantly different in a mod that adds 10+ levels and a lot of content to the game.

kaizoku

Arcane
cboyardee said:
Thanks. Yeah, I skimmed the forum but it seemed pretty inactive. Also the stuff about weapons isn't in the manual and I'd imagine the role of bards is significantly different in a mod that adds 10+ levels and a lot of content to the game.
That's because of the stupid default setting of the vbulletin forum. It's only showing threads up to 30 days. See the "Display Options"

Also keep in mind this is summer time so... all the nerds are outside playing instead of sitting in front of the computer

RatFink

Educated
awww fuck this...

i seem to be stuck in the fuckin nodes.....

just kicked some balor ass and now the game always crashes when i try to leave trough the portal...
did not try all my possibilities yet but when changin from the fire to the earth node and using the exit portal there the game still crashes....
plus i only have savegames in the fire node.

jesus i hope my game is not fucked now...

i would like to restart with 2 fighters, a monk, a druid and a sorcerer tho :?

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
phelot said:

There's the idiotic option, too, which has a party of secondlevelers with no decent buffs, offensive spells or charms try to take down the duo. I had to resort to the cheapest shit--my party huddled in fear by these rocks to the north of the bear and giant, my elven rogue creeping down with longbow in hand and attracting the attention of just the bear and leading it back, painfully, to the outcropping so that my party could surround and butcher it. Rinse and repeat with his buddy.

Cynic

Arcane
Skittles said:
phelot said:

There's the idiotic option, too, which has a party of secondlevelers with no decent buffs, offensive spells or charms try to take down the duo. I had to resort to the cheapest shit--my party huddled in fear by these rocks to the north of the bear and giant, my elven rogue creeping down with longbow in hand and attracting the attention of just the bear and leading it back, painfully, to the outcropping so that my party could surround and butcher it. Rinse and repeat with his buddy.

Did that work?? The Hill Giant had a pretty massive movement range for me, he'd pretty much get all the way up to me and attack in one turn. Maybe I wasn't running hard enough.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Yes, it did, eventually. It took a couple of reloads as I tried to figure out his range of sight, but basically I figured out his patrol pattern, waited until he reached the very northern extreme of it and moved so that he'd just pop into reality/range of vision before I tried shooting at him. That gave me enough of a head start to actually lose him, if I went too fast.

I think movement speeds for medium sized characters are pretty standard, so you should be able to do the same with an elf/human/half-orc.

EDIT: Oh, and pathfinding is pretty shitty. I've had the game try to make my character zig-zag when running away rather than in a straight line. That could be "not running hard enough..."

Cynic

Arcane
I'm in the Temple now. Now I understand some of the disappointment with this game. It's more sad than anything really and it does seem like they tried to do far more than they could have given the time frame. With a little bit more story and content it could have been, fuck man it could have been the best D&D rpg ever created. However, I watched an interview with Tim Cain where he said they had 18 months to build this. I think that is a mammoth achievement to be honest. Also remember that this is the same amount of time it took to create DA2...with it's already existing engine, shitty writing and reused maps/dungeons.

It's okay let the :x flow.

18 month and they weren't able to make the mouse work properly... :roll:

Does Co8 have a "hardware mouse" option aside with the non working windowed mode? Why add a windowed mode if it doesnt scale anyway...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom