Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ToEE or AoD or UR

Which is most worth playing?

• The Temple of Elemental Evil

Votes: 28 17.6%
  • The Age of Decadence

Votes: 52 32.7%
  • Underrail

Votes: 53 33.3%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 26 16.4%

• Total voters
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Temple of Elemental Evil has the distinction of being only the Infinity Engine Era game I haven't played (much). It is worth prioritizing over Age of Decadence or Underrail?

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The Temple of Elemental Evil has the distinction of being only the Infinity Engine Era game I haven't played (much). It is worth prioritizing over Age of Decadence or Underrail?
Save your ToEE playthrough for when TemplePlus is out, should be no more tham a couple months </shameless plug>

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Pretty sure it was on a modified version of the Arcanum engine, yeah. Dunno much about what engine that used though. I think it was custom?

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Having a lot more fun with Underrail than with AoD.
A lot less punishing, I guess.
AoD simply feels like it has to be played exactly the way VD wants you to play it. (Heaven forbid your gladiator knows how to fight with an axe AND a sword! You won't stand a fucking chance in combat spreading those few points.)
Meanwhile Underrail lets you build whatever the hell feels like a fun character and if you proceed to play it accordingly, you'll have a lot of fun.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
AoD simply feels like it has to be played exactly the way VD wants you to play it. (Heaven forbid your gladiator knows how to fight with an axe AND a sword! You won't stand a fucking chance in combat spreading those few points.)
Meanwhile Underrail lets you build whatever the hell feels like a fun character and if you proceed to play it accordingly, you'll have a lot of fun.
AoD is way better. And a build with an axe + a sword is viable but it would be really hard. Meanwhile, in UR it's impossible to be a melee wielder and a gunslinger, there are way less skills and way less build options.
All of the issues I've had with Underrail are still there except for loading during combat (but quickload still doesn't work during combat): http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/divinity-or-eternity.98054/page-3#post-3826311

Especially annoying is how limited your options are when doing quests and quests themselves which are kill/fetch quests only. The viable builds are also limited, any sub-optimal build puts you in a very difficult position and forces you to use grenades and craft them. In AoD even quite shitty builds are still viable and you can win fights using the right tactics and avoiding more difficult fights. In UR avoiding fights is practically impossible, the game forces you to fight most of the time even when you're building a burglar (there are some secret passages, vents, etc. but that won't help you much because the important content is heavily guarded and at the Junkyard level you can't be invisible). Bartering is shitty (you can't write the amount of credits you want to pay, you can only use the slider and the retarded game prefers stygian currency even on SGS), it's inconvenient to open lockers behind walls (you have to use tab, otherwise you won't be able to click on it), path is often blocked by an enemy and you have to wait, etc. etc. There are tons of little annoyances I have with the game and quite a few rather big ones (quests and not that many viable builds being the most important).

tl;dr
AoD > UR > ToEE

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
AoD, no contest. Underrail is only fun in small bursts, I can't play it for more then an hour without getting bored out of my ass. The combat is fun, but all you're really doing in that game, is mindnumbingly plowing through endless trash mobs, while cursing the primitive interface.

Dorateen

Arcane
Temple of Elemental Evil

If one is a pen and paper player, if one enjoys Dungeons & Dragons, if one acknowledges the inherent superiority of party-based games over single-character, then it really is no contest.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
AoD is way better. And a build with an axe + a sword is viable but it would be really hard. Meanwhile, in UR it's impossible to be a melee wielder and a gunslinger, there are way less skills and way less build options.
All of the issues I've had with Underrail are still there except for loading during combat (but quickload still doesn't work during combat): http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/divinity-or-eternity.98054/page-3#post-3826311

Especially annoying is how limited your options are when doing quests and quests themselves which are kill/fetch quests only. The viable builds are also limited, any sub-optimal build puts you in a very difficult position and forces you to use grenades and craft them. In AoD even quite shitty builds are still viable and you can win fights using the right tactics and avoiding more difficult fights. In UR avoiding fights is practically impossible, the game forces you to fight most of the time even when you're building a burglar (there are some secret passages, vents, etc. but that won't help you much because the important content is heavily guarded and at the Junkyard level you can't be invisible). Bartering is shitty (you can't write the amount of credits you want to pay, you can only use the slider and the retarded game prefers stygian currency even on SGS), it's inconvenient to open lockers behind walls (you have to use tab, otherwise you won't be able to click on it), path is often blocked by an enemy and you have to wait, etc. etc. There are tons of little annoyances I have with the game and quite a few rather big ones (quests and not that many viable builds being the most important).
So, criticism is 'I can't press F9 in combat, instead I have to press ESC and click on load game, this is soooo hard!' and a minor issue when autopaying in one city in the game. 0/10 game sucks.
Also "AoD axe + sword is viable (I disagree) but very hard which is a good thing, but in UR knife+gun is also harder but here it's a bad thing." (Afaik UR also has much more points to go around than AoD, looking at my current charsheet I don't see why I couldn't just drop all the points spent on for example lockpicking and put 'em in melee to make my x-bow user good at stabbing people without gimping it in any other way.)

Avoiding fights in UR just needs good stealth and some thinking/waiting. Not everything can be avoided but, to take your own example, in junkjard level I only had to fight one mutant + his dogs and didn't even find all the other ones people apparently struggle with. The one I encountered was pretty easily killed with traps and 'nades with barely any points spent in throwing or traps (I think both have 15 points, could be less). Meanwhile avoiding fights in AoD (or really anything else in the game) requires metagame knowledge to pass skill checks which you have no way of knowing about ahead of time.

tl;dr
I disagree.

GrainWetski

Arcane
AoD, no contest. Underrail is only fun in small bursts, I can't play it for more then an hour without getting bored out of my ass. The combat is fun, but all you're really doing in that game, is mindnumbingly plowing through endless trash mobs, while cursing the primitive interface.
Nothing wrong with the interface in UnderRail.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Interface is good but some addons like all trash mobs respawning too quickly and guns and armors degrading fast are :decline:. Have to admit liked the game from alpha more then now; its still good but AoD was much better. What UR would benefit from is dedicated crafting inteface now its just painful to navigate all the schematic and parts you have which are sometimes 20 + kinds of various quality. AoD crafting again > UR crafting.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Nothing wrong with the interface in UnderRail.

Plenty of wrong, actually. Sorting your inventory is a nightmare, and crafting interface is amateur hour.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

So, criticism is 'I can't press F9 in combat, instead I have to press ESC and click on load game, this is soooo hard!' and a minor issue when autopaying in one city in the game. 0/10 game sucks.
Also "AoD axe + sword is viable (I disagree) but very hard which is a good thing, but in UR knife+gun is also harder but here it's a bad thing." (Afaik UR also has much more points to go around than AoD, looking at my current charsheet I don't see why I couldn't just drop all the points spent on for example lockpicking and put 'em in melee to make my x-bow user good at stabbing people without gimping it in any other way.)

Avoiding fights in UR just needs good stealth and some thinking/waiting. Not everything can be avoided but, to take your own example, in junkjard level I only had to fight one mutant + his dogs and didn't even find all the other ones people apparently struggle with. The one I encountered was pretty easily killed with traps and 'nades with barely any points spent in throwing or traps (I think both have 15 points, could be less). Meanwhile avoiding fights in AoD (or really anything else in the game) requires metagame knowledge to pass skill checks which you have no way of knowing about ahead of time.

tl;dr
I disagree.

I voted for Age of Decadence but i have to agree with this.
Underrail gives you much more build variety than AOD. Most of AOD combat builds look the same while in UR you can build a stealthy crossbow guy that can still punch the shit out of his enemies when in cqb.
Just check each game threads on builds. In AOD you they will look like 1 weapon skill + dodge/block and maybe CS/throwing to go along and alchemy/crafting on social skills.
Then you have that odd one that went for no defensive skills and spent everything else on cs and crafting instead.

The crafting on underrail is superior to aod. Its much more complex, with greater variety and more balanced not giving the huge edge it does in AOD.
Inventory is fine, specially with the filters. Its far from a nightmare, specially if you are comparing it with AOD. AOD inventory a la Fallout works because you can't carry many items, but scrolling up and down looking for that specific item is far less effective than Underrail's.
I am fairly organized with my inventory so i know where my items are on underrail all the time. And when it gets cluttered the filter works like a charm.
The filter would be better if you could select each option by clicking an icon, representative of the item's types, and having several of them on/off at the same time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom