Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline ToEE's ingame, hypertext manual/GUI should be standard for CRPGs.

Codex Year of the Donut
CRPGs are complicated, especially for people new to the genre. Being able to simply click on a link in a description to get directly referenced to what it is discussing is invaluable information
(shamelessly stolen from Lilura )
GK52sp0.png

Even for the grognards that know multiple rulesets by heart, having access to all in depth information about skill checks, rolls, etc., is pure :incline:
uyL24bH.png

For those unfamiliar with ToEE: all the blue text is clickable, including the blue text inside the popup window. Click on 'prayer' to learn more about it, then the back button to go back to the skill check overview.

5Nj7dB5.png

This game is 16 years old. Many new CRPGs either feel like cheap imitations or complete steps backwards from this, and it needs to stop already before we regress further.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Why are you going to the trouble of downloading my images and then uploading them elsewhere?

If you're so against linking to my blog, you can still just link directly to my image, and I won't get the view for the post it's in.

You guys are so scared of my blog... I don't get it.

Also, you just posted a dumbed down version of what I've said on my blog, so you should have cited the authoritative sources: intro and in-depth.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Why are you going to the trouble of downloading my images and then uploading them elsewhere?
Occasionally i link someone else's pictures, and then receive a ton of "whatever shit you posted didn't load" notifications. It's safer to just reupload it to imgur.

Codex Year of the Donut

If you're so against linking to my blog, you can still just link directly to my image, and I won't get the view for the post it's in.

Also, you just posted a dumbed down version of what I've said on my blog, so you should have cited the authoritative source.
I didn't read your blogpost, I found it on duckduckgo's image search :mlady:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Occasionally i link someone else's pictures, and then receive a ton of "whatever shit you posted didn't load" notifications. It's safer to just reupload it to imgur.

That will never happen on a Google-hosted blog like mine. These are Google-hosted images; they're going nowhere.

There are 20 year old Google-hosted gaming blogs that have their images in tact. Those blogs are older than Imgur.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

That will never happen on a Google-hosted blog like mine. These are Google-hosted images; they're going nowhere.
Until Google decides they don't like you and shuts your blog down for wrongthink

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

I dunno much about web technology, but I thought hotlinking was always bad. At least that was the impression I got, a lot of people frown upon it. Are there instances where it's good?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't like hyperlinks, I prefer dialogue trees.

Oh wait.

Yeah, it's a great feature. I wouldn't say KOTC did it better, but it has it.
If I remember correctly some entries in TOEE were bugged or missing or something.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
As if any of those zoomers would read those mile-long paragraphs.

cloudropis

Educated
As if any of those zoomers would read those mile-long paragraphs.
I'm a zoomer, and ToEE hyperlinks are a life saver. ToEE was my introduction to 3.5, my only previous experience with DnD CRPGs was Baldur's Gate which is so light in content it could be learned by reading the manual blindfolded.
If I ever make heads and tails of something like PF:KM I'll only have ToEE to thank, and it genuinely saddens me that this is still considered the apex and recent games still haven't reached its level, let alone surpass it.
Like, what does PF:KM lack that ToEE has? I haven't played the former yet, but I see screenshots and videos of very detailed on-click information about rolls and such.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
But at any rate, I made contingency plan a couple years ago. Let's say Google pulls the plug after 20 years of support (the butthurt brigade's dream). Bye bye Lilura, bye bye crpgaddict, bye bye to 1000s of bloggers. But then bang, I'm back up with all content and links in tact. In your face again. The Lilurans are immortal. You, on the other hand, are a shitposter lost in the shuffle, and unread.

Let's see here: rusty_shackleford, joined 2018, 5,842 buried shitposts.
Lilura since 2018: 130 write-ups read by millions.

Fuck off, rusty, you gnat.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
"Mods will fix it" is a lousy reason to rate something good.
mods are an integral part of PC gaming
For pig ignorant millennials, perhaps.
You realize Temple+ is hosted on this site, right?
Have you ever tried to play unmodded ToEE? A large portion of the game is simply unfinished. The co8 atari buglist had well over 500 bugs and it was compiled in 2004 :lol:

Cael

Arcane
"Mods will fix it" is a lousy reason to rate something good.
mods are an integral part of PC gaming
For pig ignorant millennials, perhaps.
You realize Temple+ is hosted on this site, right?
Have you ever tried to play unmodded ToEE? A large portion of the game is simply unfinished. The co8 atari buglist had well over 500 bugs and it was compiled in 2004 :lol:
You moved the goalpost. What you just said has nothing to do with the statement "mods are an integral part of PC gaming".

Curratum

Any game that expects me to do that much reading to be able to play it adequately can go fuck right off.

So what you're saying is that you prefer AAA popomoles. Noted.

No, what I'm saying is, if a system is NOT D&D - the only system that I am relatively familiar with the rules, I refuse to sift through 40 pages of intricate bullshit to be able to play the game. E.g. - Pillars of Eternity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom