Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Golel (was Tomb of Goliath). VR

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex

This game is going to be VR, similar to Burial Stone, but with improvements:
1. Random places monsters/loot.
2. Potential loot drops.
3. More skills/items/spells/classes
4. Map "travel", kind of like lands of lore, where you can travel between maps from exists. Install of the drop pit like Burial Stone.
5. More synchronized animation, which was an issue with Burial Stone(due to a bug).
6. An actual story.
7. Actual NPCs.
8. More VR interactions, like riddles on walls and etc.

Here are some videos in the design phase, this will be VR, but I am desiging the code right now:

Last edited by a moderator:

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
I fixed the turn engine, and now you can see that it moves smoothly.
Also some VR preview.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex

DecalTest2.jpg
DecalTest.jpg

Poseidon00

Arcane
I have to give some thought as to what I would want out of this genre of game. Some level of VR interactivity is, of course, a must, but i'm talking more mechanics wise.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
VR interactivity is cool, but... it would require an action based game, or integrating action elements in an otherwise turn based game.
It's cool that you can walk and bop someone in the head with a club, but if all it does is roll a dice, it will just make it tedious what could simpley be done with a single click.

I had an idea, make it no VR interactions, and then make the same game with VR interactions. So people can see what they like better.

Poseidon00

Arcane
VR interactivity is cool, but... it would require an action based game, or integrating action elements in an otherwise turn based game.
It's cool that you can walk and bop someone in the head with a club, but if all it does is roll a dice, it will just make it tedious what could simpley be done with a single click.

I had an idea, make it no VR interactions, and then make the same game with VR interactions. So people can see what they like better.

I agree actually given a bit of time to reflect. Doesn't really add anything here. Ease of use of UI is important though, its still something Devs seems to be perfecting.

I would load up VR Dungeon Knight and just take a look around the main lobby to appreciate how a sense of perspective really adds to the atmosphere in VR. Caverns with big drops you can look down etc. etc.

Dexter

Arcane
Closest in "graphics style" to this is probably Dreadhalls, although that's a Horror Dungeon exploration game with free movement. You can peek around corners etc. but it doesn't have extensive "VR interactions" since it was developed with Xbox Controller in mind before Motion controllers were a thing, although I think they might have updated it that it supports those too and you can hold the lantern in one hand and the map in another if they're enabled. It features randomly generated levels, so you never know where the exit is or where monsters, loot etc. is placed. It has a map that appears when you look down and light plays a huge role to mood/exploring and making you see beyond the front of your feet or attracting monsters, you will have to find lamp oil to refill it and monsters can follow you through doors etc. and have different behaviors and tactics on how to deal with them: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1284409971

The best turn- and grid-based Dungeon Crawler in VR "to beat" is probably the port of Operencia, since it has varied environments and enemies and an interesting enough story and puzzles that are enjoyable to solve based on the 2D efforts, although the VR port while it works, was a bit bare-bones with UI and story for instance overlaid as 2D elements in 3D space:

There's also Crystal Rift I guess, but that's rather old, plain-looking and inconsequential.

Last edited:

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
I am back to work on this project, all the other projects bore me...

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Wow, cool. Pre-made assets and 10 minutes of design work. Gut gemacht! Will you ever post something different? By now, probably not.
True that it still looks like a generic dungeon.
But once I build more of the engine, I also hope to put some unique art. As art sells.

Also, this is still very early WIP, did you see the leaked GTA 6/7 video? That's how games look at first.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You’re missing my point. I’m not one who tries to dwell in cynicism and negativity, but everything you’ve posted in the Workshop and VR sections over the years seems uninspired and lazy. Look at your finished projects, why would anyone play those over a thousand other similar games with more complexity and “soul” put into them? Something that makes them unique, interesting, fun. From what I’ve seen, I don’t understand why you want to make entertainment products.

I’m open to the possibility I am being too harsh, that maybe you’re a burgeoning artiste growing a skillset that will eventually wow people. The nature of this place rubs off on you.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
You’re missing my point. I’m not one who tries to dwell in cynicism and negativity, but everything you’ve posted in the Workshop and VR sections over the years seems uninspired and lazy. Look at your finished projects, why would anyone play those over a thousand other similar games with more complexity and “soul” put into them? Something that makes them unique, interesting, fun. From what I’ve seen, I don’t understand why you want to make entertainment products.

I’m open to the possibility I am being too harsh, that maybe you’re a burgeoning artiste growing a skillset that will eventually wow people. The nature of this place rubs off on you.
I am a lot less Pessimist than you.
Go wallow in darkness.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

Go wallow in darkness.
Just like all of your shovelware garbage?

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex

Go wallow in darkness.
Just like all of your shovelware garbage?
You just hate games, and hate your life.

PompiPompi

Man with forever hair
Patron
Developer
RPG Wokedex
Some pogress.
WIP, Early etc.
Just trying it out, nothing is final.

Poseidon00

Arcane
I have a few suggestions I think would make someone like me interested in a game like this. Some of these will draw from Wizardry because Wizardry is just a damn good dungeon crawler:

- one overworld town where you can rest/regroup/buy things/revive etc. doesn't have to be fancy. static npcs are fine. but place a few things you can pick up because everybody gets a cheap laugh from putting a bucket on somebodies head.

- a party system. they don't have to be visible during dungeon crawling. extra points for generic dialogue you can have with em in a tavern or something

- something like The Reaper from Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land. a randomly appearing fucking menacing looking enemy that will yeet you on contact that forces you into either a full retreat from that level of the dungeon or a teleportation to town. make it rare of course

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom