Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top 72 one year anniversary

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's been exactly one year since felipepepe's most excellent cRPG Codex Top 72 w/ user reviews debuted.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

Since quite a few cRPGs have come out since the polling finished (both commercially and via KS) how would you place some of those games within the list, if at all?

Games such as...

SR: Dragonfall Director's Cut
Wasteland 2
Blackguards
Telepath Tactics
Quest for Infamy
Dead State
Divinity: Original Sin
Pillars of Eternity
Dark Souls II
Banner Saga
Legends of Grimrock II
Lords of Xulima
NEO Scavenger

... and others I've probably missed. Which ones should be bumped off the list to include some of these newcomers?

Discuss....

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasteland 2
Blackguards
Telepath Tactics
Quest for Infamy
Dead State
Pillars of Eternity
Dark Souls II
Banner Saga
Legends of Grimrock II
Lords of Xulima
NEO Scavenger
I have only played a few of these (D:OS, PoE, BS, NS) and finished none, so they would not make my list.

But I am still expecting to play/finish at least some of them so maybe then they will earn their place in my hall of fame.

hemtae

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I think Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin would make appearances. Generally, people say that Pillars of Eternity is better than BG1 which made an appearance on the list also this thread did a pretty good job at matching up with the list and has Pillars of Eternity slotting somewhere between Mask of the Betrayer and Knights of the Old Republic 2. Divinity: Original Sin, I'm less sure about but it did clean up pretty well in the RPGotY awards last year.

Might & Magic X and Shadowrun: Dragonfall I'm not sure about but both deserve to chart imo.

The top 5 though would stay the same and the only things on the horizon that I can realistically see breaking them up is Underrail and Age of Decadence.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Remove ass defect, dragon age and witcher 2.

Most of the games in your 'newcomer' list are much better than these pieces of crap.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wasteland 2

These at least should be given a chance (possibly PoE too, but I can't speak from my own experience since I've played so little of it yet), if there was an intent on revising the list. I mean, we have Mass Effect and Dragon Age Origins on the list.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Oh, and about the placement;

Pillars should be right below MotB, (maybe above or even top10?)

Dragonfall somewhere between Icewind dale and the Gothic

D:OS anywhere below Ultima black gate (maybe right above to replace Dragon turd)

And Wasteland 2 somewhere near wasteland :smug:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Dragonfall, D:OS, Blackguards, Grimrock 2 all deserve a spot. Xulima and NEO scavenger might also, but I haven't played them enough to tell. PoE should languish in obscurity and mediocrity

Doktor Best

Arcane
Shadowrun Dragonfall needs a prett good spot on that list, followed by Pillars of Eternity somewhere near Baldurs Gate.

But somehow dont get the codexian obsession with these kinda lists. They dont mean shit to anyone but the creator and only shows us how overrated certain games are.

imweasel

If we do have a vote this year then the survey shouldn't allow anonymous votes to prevent Codexers fanboys (or outsiders) from voting more than once.

followed by Pillars of Eternity somewhere near Baldurs Gate.
Forget it, PoE has way too many haters to get that high in the top 72.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
But somehow dont get the codexian obsession with these kinda lists. They dont mean shit to anyone but the creator and only shows us how overrated certain games are.

You should look at it more like a "from gamers to gamers" type of recommendation list than a competition.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
If we do have a vote this year then the survey shouldn't allow anonymous votes to prevent Codexers fanboys (or outsiders) from voting more than once.

followed by Pillars of Eternity somewhere near Baldurs Gate.
Forget it, PoE has way too many haters to get that high in the top 72.

Eh, people kept crying about how shit Fallout New Vegas was too but it's top 10, vocal minority I'd say.

:M

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Wasteland 2
Blackguards
Telepath Tactics
Quest for Infamy
Dead State
Pillars of Eternity
Dark Souls II
Banner Saga
Legends of Grimrock II
Lords of Xulima
NEO Scavenger
I have only played a few of these (D:OS, PoE, BS, NS) and finished none, so they would not make my list.

But I am still expecting to play/finish at least some of them so maybe then they will earn their place in my hall of fame.
keep us posted

Xorazm

Cipher
You guys sometimes act like the top 72 is cluttered with wall-to-wall classics without any room for the decent-to-good games of today. The honest truth is that the CRPG genre really only has about a couple dozen or so stone cold classics, and then once you start wandering past the 20+ arena you're getting into the territory of "cult classic," "good for what it is" and "does a few things really well and a few things really terribly." FFS, The Witcher is sitting there at 24 and you can't argue with a straight face that if that game had been delivered alongside the same measure of anticipation and hype as PoE there wouldn't be an absolute tsunami of hatred heading its way (just imagine trying to translate the foam-mouthed fury greeting Pillar's engagement system with Witcher's "click to win" approach to combat). It's good for what it is and beloved by a dedicated few, just like a lot of the games on the list, particular the farther down you go.

The likes of Grimrock 2, Dragonfall, Might and Magic X, Divinity, Pillars, NEO Scavenger and WL 2 will never rub shoulders with Arcanum and Baldur's Gate 2. They're just not in the same league. Do they deserve a spot alongside Drakensang: The River of Time, Risen, Dark Heart of Uukrul and other minor classics remembered and discussed by very few? You bet your sweet ass they do.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let's just redo the list every 5 years.

I agree (well, maybe not 5 years but...). I didn't post the question to try and get a "redo" on the list. Just curious what the hivemind thought about the games released this past year and where they think they might belong on the list. I haven't played half the games I listed myself but when I saw that May 10th is the one anniversary of the Top 72 I thought it would make an interesting post...

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All the much anticipated releases have been rather disappointing so far. PoE started promising but got incredibly boring in no time, so i wont even judge it. I don't see how WL2, MMXL and Shadowrun Returns fit into this list. I'd put Divinity OS and SR:DF somewhere inbetween 50-70, along with underdogs like Lords of Xulima and Elminage Gothic (you missed this entry. It's the best and most faithful early Wizardry loveletter I've played since... well, early Wizardries). In the 30's should NEO Scavenger be found. In terms of Originality, this game is the best entry in the genre since ages and should be honored accordingly. Rest I didn't play.
Then I have high hopes that Age of Decadence and Underrail will bring fresh wind into the top 10, not so sure about Serpent in the Staglands, certainly not Torment.

And please, please remove System Shock. Its a great game, no arguing about that. But definitely not an rpg.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I think Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin would make appearances. Generally, people say that Pillars of Eternity is better than BG1 which made an appearance on the list also this thread did a pretty good job at matching up with the list and has Pillars of Eternity slotting somewhere between Mask of the Betrayer and Knights of the Old Republic 2. Divinity: Original Sin, I'm less sure about but it did clean up pretty well in the RPGotY awards last year.

It is true that some say that POE is better than BG1 (which I do not agree). Yet in the end PoE doesn't have the historical value that BG1 does; i.e. it may be a good game for the year, but does it has merits on its own that would make it appear in an all-time best list ?

Some games like Divinity are suggested, what they do best (because they have obvious defect in some area) are better done by games already appearing in the list: so why even bother ?

Kz3r0

Arcane
It's been exactly one year since felipepepe's most excellent cRPG Codex Top 72 w/ user reviews debuted.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453
As Xorazm pointed out seventy RPGs is already too long of a list, no need to add more, especially when many old classics are absent and a popamoler as ass effect is in.
Since quite a few cRPGs have come out since the polling finished (both commercially and via KS) how would you place some of those games within the list, if at all?

Games such as...

Recommended only to the fans of the setting, not a classic for sure.

Wasteland 2
A Fallout wannabee, not at all as its predecessor that remains unique.
Blackguards
For medieval setting cum inquisition Realms of arkania( I am teh confused) Darklands is still unrivaled.
Telepath Tactics
The Codex is not that fond of tactics, besides is not Jagged Allaince so doesn't count.
Quest for Infamy
It pains me to say this because of the commitment and passion of the developers, but I think that Heroine's Quest is better, and the people on the Codex who appreciate Adventure/RPG hybrids are very few.
Dead State
With all the respect for the Mitsodas, no, by a wide margin.
Divinity style of RPG will never be a classic here, period, that doen't mean that is not fun or a bad game, but should be in the others list, not RPG classics.
Pillars of Eternity
All hype and Obsidian, will be forgotten soon.
Dark Souls II
People here hate weeaboo stuff, better than The Witcher admittedly, and The Witcher is in the list only because of the Pollacks.
Banner Saga
All style no substance, just eye candy.
Legends of Grimrock II
The predecessors that inspire this series are better so why bother?
Hope of an old school revival is its only merit.
Lords of Xulima
What's so great or special about it?
NEO Scavenger
Good, but not a classic.
... and others I've probably missed. Which ones should be bumped off the list to include some of these newcomers?
None, except the ones that shouldn't be there to begin with,Numenera is the only one shooting for the Cult Classic Status, and is a very long shot.

Last edited:
Wait for Torment, Underrail, and AoD and redo the list.

As of now I'd add Wasteland 2 and D:OS into my vote, depending on how it was done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom