Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Torment 2 Interview with Brian Fargo at NowGamer + First Concept Art

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Crooked Bee, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Can't wait to see you going all defensive about the Codex discussing the mechanics of another game :troll:

^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    "Before you stands the city of Pah Pa'mole. It is a wretched hive of scum and villainy."

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Bony Learned Queued

Bony

^ Top  
  4. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I think combat in a Torment game should be designed to be quickly resolved first and foremost. I'm not really looking for tactical challenge in my game about a meta-physical journey. I'm hoping they go with phase based. Pick your options, have quick animations showing what happened, and move on.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. If they add a "don't care" option to their poll or whatever I bet most people will select it.

(I would like to see TB tho.)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Kirtai Augur

Kirtai
    Journal update mechanics surely.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
    Yeah, phase based could be cool too. But, TB forevah! :x

^ Top  
  8. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    TB+PB hybrid: TB movement but actions are phased. You choose non-movement actions for your characters, end the turn and see how it resolves. Allows for interesting combos. You plan a combo. Or a series of actions. Then it doesn't play out as you wanted, or it does, leading to interesting combat situations.

^ Top  
  9. Pegultagol Erudite

Pegultagol
    Interesting, TB+PB as you describe it reminds me of 'We-go' system in Combat Mission games. I'd actually prefer that style over real time over pause.

^ Top  
  10. Rivmusique Arcane Patron

Rivmusique
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I do not see why it can't have interesting TB combat. Just get rid of the massive areas full of trash fights and have the majority of encounters avoidable through dialogue options.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Bony Learned Queued

Bony
    I got 99 problems but TB combat ain't one.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Cabazone Educated

Cabazone
    I don't see why we should have TB, PB or RTWP combats. Make combat resolution a skillcheck (so violence is still an option) and chose other aspect of the game to become mechanically relevant (like economics, politics or diplomacy). Boom, originality : a RPG who isn't a subpart tactical or action game with a lot of dialogs.

^ Top  
  13. Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Wait a minute, that's a little radical.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. hiver Guest

hiver
    Dont be so blind and limited cabazone - i dont want to listen to years of "hurr, hurr its a text adventure CYOA game hurr hurr" again, mkay?

Not bad at all.

Wrong.

Why the act of combat, struggle, physical danger and overcoming your fears cannot be a part of metaphysical process or a conundrum?

WHY killing another sentient being cannot be a part of the metaphysical journey, exactly?
    Not just that one act but all the consequences that could and will come out of that?
    HUH?

Because youre just too accustomed to combat being an empty entertainment schlock?
    A grind for loot ? A grind for ego boosts? XP points?

Isnt that one trope of gaming in general? - And what does a Torment do best?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. hiver Guest

hiver
    [​IMG]

This is a Nano "flower", hah... a Bloom indeed.
    And a beautiful Bloom it is.

You can notice the adherence to fractal mathematics in its... architecture.

Thats why its so lovely spiky... and twisty.
    Wander what it does... if its still functional, "alive". Partially or fully.
    Seems like some pathways of a settlement are around it.

Maybe its a small god. Sleeping.

^ Top  
  16. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    That pic gave me a raging hard on and I came in my pants. :oops:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Harg Harfardarssen Cipher Patron

Harg Harfardarssen
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    "a literally living city whose grasping tendrils creep through other dimensions"

That sounds pretty great. If its fleshed out well, it could be better than Sigil on the "Fuckin' A" scale. No, I didn't intend the pun, but I'm leaving it in anyway.

^ Top  
  18. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    hiver, I think you have all that without combat being as detailed as JA2.

^ Top  
  19. hiver Guest

hiver
    Why are you talking about JA2? detailed as JA2 no less... Cheap strawman everything you can manage?

And no, the way you described it, you cannot have any of that. Its a difference between actually being in a street fight and watching some on youtube. -edit- not to mention more extreme scenarios.-
    Between actually investing effort and risk yourself and watching animations about it.

- hey mods, how about you throw an oficial pole about combat systems just to see how the numbers look? TB, RtwP and hybrid TB+PB as options.

^ Top  
  20. Moribund A droglike

Moribund
    In b4 way too colorful and cartoony.

^ Top  
  21. hiver Guest

hiver
    OOOhhhh yeahhhhhh....

[​IMG]

- new piece of concept art from the newly opened facebook page you unwashed masses -

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    Too many spikes and not enough color. What is this shit? Combat should be rt with bullet-time + 3'rd person shoulder mounted cam.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    Not really. TB vs RTwP is mostly a decision of preference.
    Creepy DAO apologist: "Combat should be as easy and fast as possible so I can get on with my dating sim romances the story." != "I prefer RTwP. TB is too static and PST was also RTwP..."

I expect the majority of backers (that actually cares) will favor RTwP but that doesn't really say anything about storyfaggotness. Good story and good combat are not inherently mutually exclusive. Most people, given the choice, would choose both.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. suejak Arbiter Patron Village Idiot

suejak
    sic pic like da spikes

so old school it's pre-technicolour

^ Top  
  25. kaizoku Arcane

kaizoku
    needs more bloom damn it!

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.