Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter media blitz begins: Campaign to launch on March 6th, Chris Avellone endorses

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fargo/inXile do a good job at promoting these things. I don't see why more people don't announce their KSs well in advance to build anticipation.

quasimodo

Augur
So they are asking for money and they haven't even decided on a combat system.

TB or GTFO.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I´m depressed that they chose IGN to kickoff their media campaign, next... IGN gets the exclusive first review and EA is announced as a strategic partner publisher.

Fargo/inXile do a good job at promoting these things. I don't see why more people don't announce their KSs well in advance to build anticipation.

I'm willing to bet InXile might have been planning to do more hype and launching their kickstarter a few weeks from now. Then they heard the Ultima kickstarter was starting this Friday. Then Fargo was like fuck that british guy stealing my american dollars, we're launching our kickstarter tomorrow.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm willing to bet InXile might have been planning to do more hype and launching their kickstarter a few weeks from now. Then they heard the Ultima kickstarter was starting this Friday. Then Fargo was like fuck that british guy stealing my american dollars, we're launching our kickstarter tomorrow.
I'm willing to take that bet.

Before or after they have my money?
The discussion and decision on combat will likely be post-funding. Torment will have a nice, long pre-production period.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I´m depressed that they chose IGN to kickoff their media campaign, next... IGN gets the exclusive first review and EA is announced as a strategic partner publisher.

On the contrary I was agreeably surprised, right now they need to spread the word to as much people as possible, so IGN seems appropriate.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I hope you've all noticed that Torment's preproduction phase will be three months longer than Wasteland 2's, as befits a text-heavier game with much more unique art. :obviously:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'd also assume there will be a mention that the ship date may change depending on the funds raised.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So you would rather they not get a huge exposure and the KS to fail?

Far from it, just depresses to see them getting publicity in what i see as the epitome of everything that is bad in the gaming industry... IGN.

They said it themselves in the interview, they are not aiming at the general market, but at those hardcore Planescape fans, people who downloaded from GOG and the such.

Indranys

Savant
“You are the cast-off shell of somebody who has learned how to skip from body to body over the centuries. This person is escaping a dreadful hunter. He [realizes], “Oh, well, looks like this body’s doomed.” He skips out of it, you fall to earth, you wake up, and you're not dead.
Yay! I've already made a background story for my first protagonist :smug::
The Man God Avellone grows tired of this fragile tsundere girl body, which become impure over time. So The Holy Avellone need a younger, much younger, innocent moe body to occupy. That's the only way to preserve his infinite wisdom, and thus the perfect balance of the past, present, and future eras will be maintained.

:drink:

This is the story of an abandoned body, An empty vassal of the Lost God.
Can she attain enlightenment without her Inner God?
Or will she gaze the abyss long enough to become the emptiness itself?
Only her journey can unravel the fate behind the tides of malevolence.
An endless ordeal against Torment: Tides of Numenera.

The article also mentions that the game will feature "real time smart combat". I've been informed that this is a misstatement.

:what:

My tsundere girl body is not ready. :(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd also assume there will be a mention that the ship date may change depending on the funds raised.

If Wasteland 2 delivers in terms of sales, the amount of funds raised may turn out to be not so important in the long run.

Indranys Read the OP carefully. ;)

Tigranes

Arcane
I wouldn't want Torment to rely on W2's sales - that would mean that inxile's next project would need yet another kickstarter to generate millions. Rather, it seems clear, with Torment's 9-month pre-production, that if all goes well, W2's sales will fund that team of writers to move onto the next project. You don't want to be dependent on a kickstarter every few months or a year to avoid firing half your company.

I actually love the concept and it is a perfect setup for a Torment game. Clear link but not so close to be a mere derivative. Looking forward to it.

Indranys

Savant

If Wasteland 2 delivers in terms of sales, the amount of funds raised may turn out to be not so important in the long run.

Indranys Read the OP carefully. ;)

Do you mean this:

I've been informed that this is a misstatement
:oops:
How could I bro??
The descriptions about theme and setting of the game already bring savage imaginations to my mind.
Then I read that nasty evil word about real time combat.
My fragile heart can not stand such a sinister scheme.

quasimodo

Augur

The discussion and decision on combat will likely be post-funding. Torment will have a nice, long pre-production period.

That is unfortunate. I would give lots of money for a TB game, but not a dime for RTwP.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That is unfortunate. I would give lots of money for a TB game, but not a dime for RTwP.

Well, if combat was the focus of the game I'd be much the same, I did give less to Eternity than to Wasteland 2 (I'd up it now but Obsidian doesn't seem to offer that option yet?). But combat really isn't the core of the experience. It has to be good, and allow for character customization, deep engaging encounters, etc, but it's kind of agnostic what kind of combat system allows for that, which is why it can be pushed back like this. Eternity and Wasteland 2 are both gonna be fairly combat-centric games from what we know, but Torment's focus lies elsewhere.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Same here. Well, I'm not going to say fuck this because of the combat method, but it does lower my enthusiasm to pledge more if it "might be" RTwP.

Perhaps this should be something that was addressed during the KS campaign.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Combat was never the sole focus of the Torment game though. It wasn't combat simulator 2000. The characters, setting, story and cRPG mechanics were.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

No moneyz from me then. I don't have a problem with either TB or RTwP for this game, but not having decided on such a core design element seems sloppy and/or sleazy.

Sloppy because they should have really nailed these things down before starting the kickstarter and leaving such choices to polls for "fans" seems retarded and weak, they should already know what game they want to make. And of course potential backers should also know in order to make up their mind about pledging or not for the game. I mean sure it's the story that matters more in such a game, but combat matters too, and if it's not such a big deal why make this mess anyway ?

...And we come to the sleazy part because this way they're trying to get funding from people that maybe wouldn't pledge if it was TB or RTwP. And suddenly after the funding they'll let us know their decision which maybe had been already made from before the kickstarter, or even worse, is based upon some crappy poll. For all we know they might decide to go for Diablo-style combat.

This isn't nice. Since all we're gonna get is promises and concept art, we should also know all the important gameplay elements. All other successful kickstarters, including W2, have offered at least that.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It´s absurd that they leave the details about how the combat actually works out of their kickstarter, makes no sense that they would ask for money without having such basic game systems defined. this just reinforces my feeling that this KS is coming out too soon.

MapMan

Arcane
Combat was never the sole focus of the Torment game though. It wasn't combat simulator 2000. The characters, setting, story and cRPG mechanics were.
Torment was a game without gameplay. If I wanted a story without gameplay I'd read a book instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom