Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #3: ZIETS ZIETS ZIETS

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Colin McComb; George Ziets; InXile Entertainment; Kevin Saunders; Monte Cook; Mur Lafferty; Planescape: Torment; Tony Evans; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Seeing as the game's funding has continued to skyrocket, inXile felt the need to release another Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update with additional stretch goals...and boy, is it good. I'll go over its contents one by one.

First of all, there's a video featuring Colin McComb, which will be a part of a series of videos describing various aspects of Torment's design. This episode is about the game's themes.

Second, starting from tomorrow there will be a new $28 tier. The tier will be limited, much like the original early bird $20 tier, and will contain a digital strategy guide and a digital copy of Colin McComb's novella, in addition to the game and manual. Colin's novella will also be added to the $35 and $45 tiers.

Third, the 1.5 million dollar stretch goal has been retroactively modified. It now includes a new game area called the Crystal Dimension. Similarly, the 2 million dollar stretch goal will also a receive a new area called the Ruins of Ossiphagan. Furthermore, also for the 2 million dollar goal, writers Mur Lafferty and Tony Evans will be writing their own novellas, and Colin McComb will be doing a Let's Play of Planescape: Torment, providing developer commentary as he goes along. It'll be interesting to see how he compares with Adam Brennecke and Chris Avellone.

The main attraction of this update, however, is the new 2.5 million dollar stretch goal. If that funding goal is achieved, George Ziets will join the game's writing team. While he apparently can't work on the game full time, this is still awesome news that will put a smile on many a Codexer's face. And if that's not enough for you, the new stretch goal will also add a a new novella by Monte Cook, a new mystery companion, and a new area called Castoff's Labyrinth, which will be a "continuous stretch goal", much like Project Eternity's Endless Paths megadungeon. And the cherry on top - if the new stretch goal is reached, Colin will send out a videotaped apology for his notorious Complete Book of Elves. :lol:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
McComb is great. Very good video.

Edit: I talked to quite a few people who weren't very interested in the game before the Kickstarter, but were completely sold by the videos and info. Great job, inXile!

Jashiin

Arcane
Yes his video's are great. He hates doing them it seems, which is a good thing. Most people enjoying that sort of attention are not the type that have something meaningful to say.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
CMcC or Sawyer, which is better and why? Discuss!

Stretch goals looking better. Writing samples and location concepts are decent enough. I kind of feel like the nature of kickstarter forces them to give up on the mystery that made Torment so much better, but I suppose that's unavoidable.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I think Colin is a good face/personality/speaker for this project. Even if he does hate doing videos. :( (which I can understand. I'd hate to do that crap). heh

jewboy

Arbiter
As an introvert myself, I feel sympathy for McComb having to be in the public eye like that and watched by thousands of people. It sounds truly awful to me like a mild form of torture.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
lso, as a surprise addition to all (including our dear colleague Colin who is learning about this commitment right now as you are) after the Kickstarter ends, Colin’s going to be doing a play through of Planescape: Torment for you all, providing his developer commentary as he goes. Which areas and characters did he write? And what was he thinking when he wrote them? How fast of a reader is he? Does he have anything good to say about the combat? What is his answer to the question: “What can change the nature of a man?” Learn all of this and more!

I actually laughed.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Now I am happy. Increased my pledge to 75$ to get all digital except Cook's core book. I was pondering at physical tiers, but I realised that nowadays I just skim through them and let it rot. Sure I could sell them later for the profits, but I am afraid, I wouldn't dare to, so they will stay somewhere in the cupboard rotting...

I would be happy to buy digital version of core book from Numenera site if they allow it (right now it is just hardcopy for $60 + $20 shipping).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
McComb is great. Very good video.

Edit: I talked to quite a few people who weren't very interested in the game before the Kickstarter, but were completely sold by the videos and info. Great job, inXile!

Stop talking to yourself. :troll:

But yeah, I anticipated this would happen. What happened is that people had their own conceptions of what this game would be, and they didn't like those conceptions.

inXile's pitch shunted those conceptions aside and replaced them with a concrete, and very attractive, reality.

They never hated Torment: Tides of Numenera. They only hated what they thought it was.

himmy

Arcane
I like to think that right now Ziets is brushing up his resume to read "George Ziets: Designer, Writer, Stretch Goal"

Unwanted

Sacred_Path

Unwanted
he's not quite as naturally bubbly/ quirky as Sawyer is in his vids, but then he's probably also not as fucked up (who doesn't like parties?)

Fangirling aside, they should man up and tell us more about DEM TIDES

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
And I am surprised no one has re-done this yet (with inXile):

iAjVtLQXYtifu.gif

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Somebody should convince Inxile to hire Neal Halford from Betrayal at Krondor. BaK is ten times better than Torment...

Kirtai

Augur
That so brings back memories of the PS:T main theme without being the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom