Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #50: Beta Delayed, New Screenshot, Backer NPC Info

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Keenan; George Ziets; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

In what has shaped up to be a busy Friday for RPG news, inXile have published a new Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update, the first since Kevin Saunders' departure in October. Some Codexers have conjectured that this departure was a sign that Torment's development would now be rushed, but in this update, Chris "The Closer" Keenan informs us that the game's beta, originally scheduled to be released this year, has been delayed to early 2016.

Chris here. Our team is continuing to work hard on getting the Beta Test ready to deliver to you. Torment is in that exciting stage where things are coming together rapidly, and it's been amazing over the last few months to see so many elements of the game take shape. We want to continue cleaning up some rough edges so that you can have the best experience possible. For that reason, we are planning to release the Torment Beta Test early next year so we can deliver a more polished and complete Beta Test.

We know that you have been waiting for this, and we want to get the game to you as soon as we can, but we felt that the Beta version we could bring you would be that much better with a little more time in development. We appreciate your patience.

We were quite happy with the release of the Alpha Systems Test, in that it allowed us to collect useful feedback on even the smallest elements of the game. We want the Beta Test to be a continuation of that level of collaboration with our community, while also being a great first hands-on impression for Torment. And this is going to be a legitimate hands-on. While the Alpha Systems Tests could be finished in around 20 minutes, the upcoming Beta release will contain over 10 hours of gameplay on a normal playthrough.
To sweeten the pill, the update comes with a new Torment screenshot, along with a description by George Ziets:

We've given you a few glimpses of Sagus Cliffs before. Sagus Cliffs fills a similar role to the Hive in Planescape: Torment, serving as a central city hub in the eary stages and allowing for lots of exploration and deep world-building.

Now, we'd like to share a closer look at the Order of Truth, one of the factions in Sagus Cliffs. Below is a glimpse of their headquarters.​

From George Ziets:

The Order of Truth is dedicated to the study of numenera – artifacts of long-dead civilizations that inhabited Earth millions of years ago. Its adherents, known as Aeon Priests, have established enclaves throughout much of the known world. In the city of Sagus Cliffs, far from the lands where the Order arose, the Aeon Priests are few, and not all of them share the high principles of their distant brethren.

Fortunately for them, Sagus Cliffs sits atop a massive trove of numenera, layer upon layer of ancient cities and long-forgotten technologies, waiting to be unearthed. The local headquarters of the Order is inside an ancient starship, abandoned countless millennia in the past and locked in the accumulated sediments of the ages.

Also included in the update is a description by George of inXile's process for incorporating backer NPCs in the game, which differs from Obsidian's significantly. There are even a few examples, although our own backer NPC is not among them. Better not to spoil the surprise, I guess.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Also included in the update is a description by George of inXile's process for incorporating backer NPCs in the game, which differs from Obsidian's significantly.
What Ziets described sounds so much better. Yeah, it probably took a lot more work, but the NPCs wont stand out like a sore thumb as in POE

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Like I said in the other thread, it looks like Torment had significantly fewer NPC level backers, so that helped:

9wZvTCp.png
RqVReNF.png

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
the way the backers NPC are implemented sounds very cool.It will be hard to find those 55 NPCs

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Like I said in the other thread, it looks like Torment had significantly fewer NPC level backers, so that helped
It looks like they may have had 2 to 3 times as many NPCs as in Torment, but I still don't agree with what they did in terms of backer NPCs

Athelas

Arcane
Is the Order of Truth supposed to be shady/subversive? Because naming a faction 'The Order of Truth' in a world where many different factions have their own philosophies on what the 'truth' is seems like the equivalent of naming a dog Canine McDoggydog. It would certainly explain the church motif, which seems at odds with their scientific pursuits.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Because naming a faction 'The Order of Truth' in a world where many different factions have their own philosophies on what the 'truth' is seems like the equivalent of naming a dog Canine McDoggydog. It would certainly explain the church motif, which seems at odds with their scientific pursuits.

They're the dominant power in the more civilized, less "Tormenty" area of the setting. Not sure there are that many competing philosophies there.

Athelas

Arcane
Because naming a faction 'The Order of Truth' in a world where many different factions have their own philosophies on what the 'truth' is seems like the equivalent of naming a dog Canine McDoggydog. It would certainly explain the church motif, which seems at odds with their scientific pursuits.

They're the dominant power in the more civilized, less "Tormenty" area of the setting. Not sure there are that many competing philosophies there.
Hmm, apparently I was somewhat right: https://www.reddit.com/r/numenera/comments/22fptf/the_order_of_truth_exemplify_or_vilify/

Sounds pretty interesting (if a bit heavy-handed).

Last edited:
10 hours beta? It was said the game was short , but W2 also had about 10 hours. How big is this chunk of the game to the rest of it?

throwaway

Cipher
Screenshot looks quite good. Love the character style of the active models. Less animu feel to it aswell.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Screenshot looks quite good. Love the character style of the active models. Less animu feel to it aswell.
The character models still stand out too much from the scenery and look to be floating on it.

That's an issue with isometric 2d games in general but in the case of torment It really stands out.

Quatlo

Arcane
Like I said in the other thread, it looks like Torment had significantly fewer NPC level backers, so that helped:

9wZvTCp.png
The shit they delivered in PoE has nothing to do what they promised on that kicstarter page. It implies that you would be AT LEAST some random mook to kill, and instead for 1k you got yellow named shitty wall of text.
Unbelievable. I'd feel cheated for 1k so badly I'd sue them for that, its Billy Mays bullshit tier.

Zeronet

Learned
Still looks better than the non-existent and soulless art style of wasteland 2. It's a vast improvement.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Like I said in the other thread, it looks like Torment had significantly fewer NPC level backers, so that helped
It looks like they may have had 2 to 3 times as many NPCs as in Torment, but I still don't agree with what they did in terms of backer NPCs
This. Give me 55 well thought-out characters over twice as many post-it notes any given day.

"We will turn your personalized character design ... into an NPC"
:hahyou:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom