Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fairfax

Arcane
Ah, so MCA is writing the brown shirt guy from the old video.

There are a still a bunch of companions they've kept completely hidden until now except for their names in the code.
Well, there's plenty of lines for all of them in the beta files, with the exception of Oom (The Toy). Tybir is by far the one with most lines at the moment.
More info on the other 2 previously unknown companions:

Rhin [Pat Rothfuss]
  • A young girl (kid) that's apparently on the run/hiding from slavers. The PC has the option to sell her at some point.
  • "a sybil whose visions of the world refract through her madness and who can see your other castoff siblings for what they are." (Only option left for this description)
  • She's more cheerful than the rest and claims she can "make gods". She says they're the rocks she carries.

Riastrad [???]
  • "Do you know a glaive named Riastrad? A big man wearing armor that flows and changes? Walks like he's asleep?"
  • "Do you know a glaive named Riastrad? He wears armor that flows like liquid metal."
  • He also has a female character called Satsada that "floats" around him. Not many lines so far.
As for good news without spoilers: there seem to be several instances where companions can leave the party on their own/get kicked out (not just simply dismissed). Including sacrifice, slavery, death, running away, getting pissed off, etc.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So is there a way to fast track character generation minigame?
If we got to answer question to create a character I prefer how SitS did it.

Also I don't like how tides choosing is done. I want the game to choose my Tide as I play, not by answering random questions before the game even starts.

From what I seen on IGN stream the start is a borefest compared to PST start.

Fairfax

Arcane
Tybir is by far the one with most lines at the moment.
You don't say... :mca:
Not a case of MCA being late. That seems to be a novella thing only. :lol: Erritis has a lot of stuff written for a character not in the beta. He also seems to have many things to say if you bring him along.
Searching through all text files, here's the number of hits:
(Beta companions in bold)
  1. Matkina (1422 hits in 151 files) Heh, I was wrong about Tybir. He had more lines in the companion folder, but she has a lot more overall.
  2. Tybir (601 hits in 99 files)
  3. Aligern (515 hits in 106 files)
  4. Erritis (337 hits in 62 files)
  5. Rhin (333 hits in 69 files)
  6. Callistege (331 hits in 83 files)
  7. Riastrad (232 hits in 66 files)
  8. Specter (96 hits in 41 files) This could have other meanings in different contexts, of course.
  9. Oom (50 hits in 19 files)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So, I just finished reading Beyond All Worlds and it's really good stuff. Would fit just right in a Torment game. Interesting location, concept and monsters. They could just take it and put put it in the game.
And shit, isn't a mutated cannibal who masturbates while talking to you just an awesome and codexian NPC?

I really hope they're not too proud to borrow stuff from the source material. Torment did it and it was a good thing it did.

Fairfax

Arcane
"Dracogen" (175 hits in 35 files)

:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

"We're going to do user-generated content right".

Proceed to include in-game fucking advertising.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Some guy with a lot of money, buddy of Fargo.

Do a search for Razer as well, after all they gave like 10k or smth.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's also one of the gods of the Banner Saga setting ("Denglr").

Last edited:

Fry

Arcane
Who's dracogen?

Nickname of Steven Dengler, Kickstarter funding millionaire. You may have seen him in a game before.
Dracogen Inn in PoE even had his logo.

Some guy with a lot of money, buddy of Fargo.

Do a search for Razer as well, after all they gave like 10k or smth.
1 hit, but it's used in "razor-sharp".

Picture better than words... https://www.facebook.com/Torment.inXile/posts/1152834831398706

Fairfax

Arcane
Too bad no codexers are millionaires :troll:
*Too bad Trump is not a Codexer.

These leftists devs (not just InXile) sucking Steven Dengler's balls should have to suffer a Trump Tower in their game.
:mrpresident:

Fairfax

Arcane
Some bits from the Codex stuff:

At first you think you're looking at three people bunched together too closely. But slowly your mind realizes that they've somehow been melded together into one being, a fleshy jumble of three distinct heads and several arms and legs protruding from a shapeless mass of a torso. Two of the faces track your approach while the third mutters under its breath.
---
"Who... or what... are you?"

When it speaks, the three voices blend into one buzzing, angry harmony. "We are Blob-of-Three. Tell us who you are. Tell us what you want."
The third face begins cursing and drooling. "Slimy Jolian... Women. Hate them. C-c-cold and red. P-p-..." It trails off, as if dazed. When it resumes, it's looking in another direction entirely. "... Ill. So ill."
[When the PC is female, it says "You! Woman! Untrusted!" and the rest is the same]
----

"An as-as-astute question. We are Blob. We are three - a glaive, a jack, a nano, missing but one. We seek knowledge h-h-here in the Valley. We pursue the wisdom of the ancients in this f-f-fallen age. We assess. We judge. But humanity is on the d-d-decline. It is only through purity and adherence to the old w-w-ways that we achieve enlightenment."
[Female PC: "An as-as-astute question, though we cannot trust your words."]
---
"We ascended the incline. We were p-p-perfected."
---
The third head gibbers profanity. You don't understand its words, but its meaning is clear - it hates everyone and everything but itself.
---
The three heads turn and stare at you as one. "W-w-what? What is wrong with us? We are perfect. Pure. Old guard of old ways. Protectors of t-t-truth."
It pauses for a moment. "Women... do not understand us."

Pretty cool, if you ask me. More subtle and natural than the Dracogen/Razer stuff. I think it also has some references in the rest of the text that I didn't get (new user and all).

Prime Junta

Okay, more on-the-fly impressions.

The game seems to be opening up. I found Matkina, had a memory-adventure with her, and got to poke around a bit. Sagus Cliffs is pretty cool as locations go actually. The infodumping has gotten much less invasive and I'm left to my own devices, more or less, to pursue threads for various more or less mysterious things. There's at least one quest thread there which is pretty cool, involving some gruesome murders and a cannibal cult.

I'm still bothered by the heavy-handed way some of the others are handed to you though; there's still a lot of the thumb-up-their-ass-until-the-Chosen-One-shows-up thing going on. It's like the game can't decide if you're supposed to be a unique special snowflake with unique powers that let them solve problems others can't, or just one of many, many castoffs. So far though a lot of the mini-quests I've solved haven't involved anything particularly cast-offy, they've just been talking to people and fiddling with things which seems like anyone with a persuasive and mechanical bent would be able to do. Like this one guy who couldn't bring himself to talk to anohter guy ten steps away and needed me to walk back and forth between them to pass messages and do some persuading.

Still not sure if a lot of the stuff is just weird for the sake of weirdness. In PS:T, the weirdness flowed naturally from the premises of Planescape -- that belief shapes the world, that the Lady of Pain ruled over Sigil, which was neutral territory in the Blood War and other conflicts among the planes, that everything was a portal, and so on and so forth. Here, there's just stuff like... I dunno, a headless dude walking around for no apparent reason, a monument with triangles that mess with your head, and so on. Perhaps it'll cohere later though so I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

And there do seem to be lots of ways to accomplish things, and lots of decisions to make. Which is a really good thing.

I.e. I'm starting to feel that maybe it's just the start that's genuinely problematic. We'll see how it gets on as it gets on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom