Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

SniperHF

Arcane
Couple handy Gifs I made.

So much potential lost in the first one.....

rA7xXpt.gif

:mhd:

8DBdQuj.gif

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014

Fairfax

Arcane
Has this been posted?

12523023_1230688516946670_1810225411171009431_n.jpg

Not even mad about the SJW thing (although it's definitely silly). These are so dull and with stupid hair. Really disappointed here.
Also, quality-wise these are the worst portraits so far. MaleCast is in such low-quality it's like a 10min speedpaint. I mean, look at his neck. FemCast less so, but still bad.

I've commissioned a bunch of art from deviantart and I got better quality pieces for $30.

I liked this one, btw:
soaPWM9vvWmM.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
What the fuck is up with those eyebrows on the female PC? Did the hair not make her look enough of a trashy alternative slag? Is her idle animation twerking?

Fairfax

Arcane
image-220628-full.jpg

This woman doesn't care about her looks. She's seen shit, and is not ashamed of her scars. The lighting, the facial expression, the colours and weirdness of the thing in the background. It's more of a Dark City/Alien mood with a touch of Planescape.
She could be anything: a chaotic evil and ambitious criminal willing to commit genocide to get what she wants, a lawful neutral scavenger who's been through so much that she doesn't give a fuck, a neutral good adventurer who's learned to care and does the right thing, despite breaking rules here and there. Whatever you make of it.

12523023_1230688516946670_1810225411171009431_n.jpg

These two have seen shit -- namely, Arcade Fire, Grizzly Bear and tUnE-yArDs. They also face a real struggle: they don't know whether jorts are becoming too mainstream.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, the beta portraits of the Last Castoff suck something major. The original art for both the female (the one with the dragon flame thing coming from her hand) and male (the one with him fighting the dog thingies) last castoffs were much better than the current iterations.

Fredward

Scholar
and tUnE-yArDs.

Ooooh Tuneyards! Slay.

It would seem the Changing God liked to overpluck his eyebrows if/when he was female. Unpainted neck splotch is bad but on the bright side it probably means it's not final. I preferred edgy bald lady too but I don't remember dog dude.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't want to RP as Josh Sawyer some Kwan hispster kido. :rage::x:mob::fight::flamesaw:For Frack sake I do hope you will be able to slap your own provided pic instead... Bald Comradess as fugly as she was was at-least surrealist enough to fit setting; its like ending up in Oblivion after Morrowind again Comrades.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's pretty bad. Pretty bad indeed.

EDIT:

*beep* Rationalization protocols kicking in.

Well, the overall physiognomy is relatively similar to the original portraits. Avatar pics traditionally focus on the face only. In a certain lighting you could argue that the new pics represent the same people as the originals.

tumblr_nnb376Xq5m1ut8brzo1_500.gif

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think stylized 3D portraits of the characters like how they were in Planescape would be neat. Like, with color and shit.

Fairfax

Arcane
This is the former male castoff:

Never really liked this one. This guy has stupid hair like the new one and a bland face (it's better than the emo face, but not good either). It wouldn't have worked as a portrait anyway. It's just regular concept art.
Codex's own Jaceface did a much better job with his custom PoE portraits:

female_godlike_moon_b_wavy_lg.png
male_human_f_jes_lg.png
male_aumaua_d1_dread_lg.png
male_godlike_fire_b1_stumps_lg.png
male_godlike_death_horned_lg.png

And my favourite:
female_godlike_death_b_visor_lg.png

Shitty speedpaint aside, it's not just InXile's artist fault, by the way. He was instructed by his bosses, which completely missed the point of having a PC with predetermined appearance. It's supposed to be expressive, distinctive, they have to stand out and be instantly recognizable by the player.
Here they made something bland to try and appeal to everyone, to make something players of all races can relate to, but it's just dull.

Artists have a few different tests to find out if characters (specially a group of them) are distinctive enough:
- Shave their heads and remove their clothes;
- Draw them as silhouettes;
- Remove colour;

Not necessarily all at once, but the idea is to do all of these tests, or at least imagine them, and try to tell them apart from the rest of the characters or people with a similar look.
14114_500.png

Try to imagine Aligern, Tybir, FemCastoff and MaleCastoff naked, bald and in black & white. Is it that easy to tell them apart? Now imagine just the silhouettes...

I'll take a similar game as an example. This is Obsidian's Christmas card:

Can't even see Durance's body or clothes, just a little bit of his hair, which wouldn't make a difference if removed.
That's distinctive visual design. You can tell it's Durance right away, despite the lack of everything but his face, and it would've worked just as well without colour.

Now I'll just leave this here:
pstcompanionsbwv2rh9.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom