Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Looking back on all the pseudo-retro-RPGs made with kickstarter, and they all suck. Divinity OS, Shadowrun, Wasteland 2, POE. What a complete and utter waste of people's time and money, and what a fucking disgrace to the designers. Numenara probably won't be any different, but here's to hoping.

Only Shadowrun and PoE on that list suck. Rest is p. good. And T:ToN is looking real great.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Looking back on all the pseudo-retro-RPGs made with kickstarter, and they all suck. Divinity OS, Shadowrun, Wasteland 2, POE. What a complete and utter waste of people's time and money, and what a fucking disgrace to the designers. Numenara probably won't be any different, but here's to hoping.
:notsureifserious:
Even if we argue about if PoE and Shadowrun suck (they don't), Divinity OS and Wasteland fucking rock!

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the 2000s we lived as outcasts, buying Spiderweb games and replaying classics for survival. Then came the Kickstarter who brought us the Incline, And with it we forged a new way of life. To reject the Kickstarter is to denounce the Incline.

Come the time of beta, did the forums rage, and did the grognards rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our donations of gold and words of apology prevailed not, and some did doubt the Kickstarter's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum.

Neanderthal

Arcane
That's what Brother None said:
''As for the PC being not very distinctive compared to TNO, this was a decision made very early on by the core creative team, reflecting the character's role in the narrative much like TNO's very distinct look reflects his.''

Probably it's just an excuse :D

Well I made me complaint known when I made that thread about distinctive protagonists as Biggrin over on Torment forums, an got an answer, so I suppose just gotta wait an see if this is actually used in game an mechanically reinforced. I still say you could make a better lookin an more distinctive main character than what we got now, an I suppose you could argue that, but proof o pudding is in eating at end o day.

Don't know why the devs'd wanna make protagonist most boring thing in an interestin settin, sounds fucking stupid to me, but they could pull it off I suppose if reasons good enough. Hope its not just an excuse.

^Fuck me Thief were good wi them Hammer bits weren't it?

Monkeysattva

Cipher
Really? Even if you like the games, surely you can't sallow the great name of Incline with this heretical filth...

Fairfax

Arcane
D:OS is pretty good, and I thought PoE was alright - a massive disappointment, but a good game.
Shadowrun is extremely overrated here. 90% of the game is combat, and the combat is shallow, boring and takes too long. Wasteland 2 I've yet to play, but doesn't look very interesting.

That's what Brother None said:
''As for the PC being not very distinctive compared to TNO, this was a decision made very early on by the core creative team, reflecting the character's role in the narrative much like TNO's very distinct look reflects his.''

Probably it's just an excuse :D

Well I made me complaint known when I made that thread about distinctive protagonists as Biggrin over on Torment forums, an got an answer, so I suppose just gotta wait an see if this is actually used in game an mechanically reinforced. I still say you could make a better lookin an more distinctive main character than what we got now, an I suppose you could argue that, but proof o pudding is in eating at end o day.

Don't know why the devs'd wanna make protagonist most boring thing in an interestin settin, sounds fucking stupid to me, but they could pull it off I suppose if reasons good enough. Hope its not just an excuse.

^Fuck me Thief were good wi them Hammer bits weren't it?
I don't think they'll change it, mods should be the only hope.

Prime Junta

Wanted to start another go, with a glaive this time but the combat is so bugged that I can't be arsed. Funny though that the first time around that encounter on the Reef went through without a hitch; now I've tried it three times and every time it's conked out somewhere -- in one case, Callistege was immobilized but couldn't pass her round after using her action (i.e., I could do nothing but reload), the other two times some of the OPFOR got initiative but wouldn't do anything, so stuck again.

Oh well, beta. I'll give it another shot in the next build. For now, I'll draft some feedback with the official mechanism...

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is Torment really SJW? Look closely:

R9IzS6sX0us.jpg

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Is it really that bad?
No.

Starting areas in WL2 (prior to the AG Center/Highpool fork) were mostly exploration-driven - sort of like BG1. Great stuff IMO. But of course the Codex posers think that BG1 was a shit game. Everything must be a buzzing quest hub.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
So, Prime Junta, Torment is supposed to be trying to do interesting things with itemization. Tell us about the Cyphers and other items that you found.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
It's like the inverse of Fallout. You cannot completely avoid non-combat in Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Prime Junta

So, Prime Junta, Torment is supposed to be trying to do interesting things with itemization. Tell us about the Cyphers and other items that you found.

Cyphers don't really work all that well at this point; there are too many bugs and missing features -- for example there's no indication of the cypher limit, I can't transfer them between party members (important because of cypher sickness), I can't sell them because merchants aren't implemented, and if I drop them they're gone forever. There are also very few occasions to use the "crisis only" ones -- in fact I didn't get any crises other than one optional one, after the one on the Reef.

Cyphers also have fairly mundane effects -- teleport, heal, immobilise, stun, Bleed, direct damage (point or AoE) etc. Nothing all that exciting on that front.

There were a bunch of intriguing oddities, but the ones I attempted to interact with appeared to be severely bugged or incomplete. There was a certain cube that looked like it would do something but the dialog options I had to interact with it were clearly nonsensical or placeholder.

The rest of the stuff I found was mostly plain ol' weapons, armour, or gadgets that gave small bonuses.

I have a feeling that we'll have to wait for a later build to really get into the items.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I wouldn't call any of these games the return of the golden age, but if these games are what you currently consider "utter waste of people's time and money," please point me towards the worthwhile contemporary RPGs that these pale in comparison to.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

I wouldn't call any of these games the return of the golden age, but if these games are what you currently consider "utter waste of people's time and money," please point me towards the worthwhile contemporary RPGs that these pale in comparison to.

Blackguards. The answer is always Blackguards.

Monkeysattva

Cipher

There are none. That's the problem. These ones were supposed to be it.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Could have said the same thing about the "golden age." In fact, a lot of early 90s/late 80s gamers did, and continue to do so.

Monkeysattva

Cipher

Could have said the same thing about the "golden age." In fact, a lot of early 90s/late 80s gamers did, and continue to do so.

Well, they can do whatever they want. That's their prerogative. I don't know for certain that they are wrong... but I do know that comparatively the kickstarter batch failed to deliver compared to so called golden age.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Well, they can do whatever they want. That's their prerogative. I don't know for certain that they are wrong... but I do know that comparatively the kickstarter batch failed to deliver compared to so called golden age.
There were also dozens more games being released at the time.

CRPG genre is full of mediocrity, nowdays we just don't have enough for the truly good stuff to show up by chance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom