Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fry

Arcane
Early Access on Steam for $45. The lowest Kickstarter beta tier was $75.

People gonna be piiiiiiiiiissed.
Even if you pledged less than that, you can get the beta for "2000 points". What's weird is that the steam page only says the name of the game, it's not a beta thing like the alpha was.
It's very poorly explained. Basically you get the beta key automatically if you got one of the tiers with the beta, as I did. That beta is also the final copy, apparently. If your pledge included the final copy, you can use 2000 points ($20, I guess?) to get the copy you've already paid, but sooner.

The point system is silly as shit, but not actually all that confusing. Several reward tiers have beta access included. If you pledged enough for a reward tier with beta access, spend your points on that tier and you have the beta. $1=100pts.
That's the thing, you don't have to. I got the beta without spending more points.
As soon as you enter the point reward menu it says "oh, you can change everything you bought, we didn't want to force you to stick with that stuff". There's also a list of things included in the original pledge, some of which I already got (alpha and beta access), and the rest you still have to "repurchase".

It also fails to explain the beta access counts as a final copy as well.

I did this months ago so my memory is foggy, but I think you have to actually use the points to redeem your tier. That's what they mean by "we didn't want to force you". Does it actually say you have any UNUSED points left? If not, they've been redeemed and you have no more to spend.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I can't actually remove the rewards. Says it's because a key was redeemed or parts of the reward has started shipping.
Oh well, they'd probably tie me to Steam anyway so I'd rather not.

Fairfax

Arcane
Early Access on Steam for $45. The lowest Kickstarter beta tier was $75.

People gonna be piiiiiiiiiissed.
Even if you pledged less than that, you can get the beta for "2000 points". What's weird is that the steam page only says the name of the game, it's not a beta thing like the alpha was.
It's very poorly explained. Basically you get the beta key automatically if you got one of the tiers with the beta, as I did. That beta is also the final copy, apparently. If your pledge included the final copy, you can use 2000 points ($20, I guess?) to get the copy you've already paid, but sooner.

The point system is silly as shit, but not actually all that confusing. Several reward tiers have beta access included. If you pledged enough for a reward tier with beta access, spend your points on that tier and you have the beta. $1=100pts.
That's the thing, you don't have to. I got the beta without spending more points.
As soon as you enter the point reward menu it says "oh, you can change everything you bought, we didn't want to force you to stick with that stuff". There's also a list of things included in the original pledge, some of which I already got (alpha and beta access), and the rest you still have to "repurchase".

It also fails to explain the beta access counts as a final copy as well.

I did this months ago so my memory is foggy, but I think you have to actually use the points to redeem your tier. That's what they mean by "we didn't want to force you". Does it actually say you have any UNUSED points left? If not, they've been redeemed and you have no more to spend.
It does, says I have all of my points available.

Fry

Arcane

So you've redeemed nothing, yet you say they issued you a beta key?*

* Why am I doing inXile customer support? They definitely don't pay me for this.

GloomFrost

Arcane
CZqWQx3WkAAmwSI.png:large
:( Well, that changes everything!

Fairfax

Arcane

So you've redeemed nothing, yet you say they issued you a beta key?*

* Why am I doing inXile customer support? They definitely don't pay me for this.
That or they never made the points usable in the first place. Anyway, doesn't matter much, wouldn't have changed my pledge.

Russia is over. The end.

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
The point system is silly as shit, but not actually all that confusing.
It's because Steam doesn't allow selling keys other than through crowdfunding before the game's release. The crowdfunding is an exception they made originally for kickstarter. But Fargo used that exception to sell keys and in order to not be too obvious about it, they used some points system. I think.

Fry

Arcane
Random from InXile forums said:
The game needs a Quest Compass...perhaps similar to the compass in Skyrim which points the player to the location of the next target

^Beta forums.

Either elaborate codex troll or they live.

Must be a troll, otherwise what's the point anymore

I'd be fascinated to see an honest poll of T:ToN backers to see how many have actually played PS:T.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I still don't understand this practice of cucking people out of beta by gating it behind a paywall. Personally I'd think that having as many testers playing the game as possible would only lead to better QA, but what do I know. I guess squeezing the fanbase for all the shekels possible and releasing a buggy shitshow is better for business.

Do you seriously want inXile to spend more time going through casuals feedback, while simultaneously having less money/time for improving game?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Planned features/improvements for the near future:

- Missing features such as merchants.

Good to see that Jews have managed to survive into the Ninth World. If any culture can persevere that long, it's theirs.

Fairfax

Arcane
Do you seriously want inXile to spend more time going through casuals feedback, while simultaneously having less money/time for improving game?
The early access release will get them plenty of feedback from casuals. In fact, thousands of casuals bought into the hype from day 1.
Personally, I think it's wrong that the people making the game happen in the first place don't get to play it in its early state and have a say in what should be changed. OTOH, many of these studios want to maximize funding.

It won't matter much in the end anyway, this is nothing like what the Closer's Cut will be in 2 years.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
D:OS was all-the-better for giving EA to everyone instead of the select few.

Speaking of which, I wonder if D:OS 2 is going to follow the IE-style $45 premium pricing or stick to $40.

Fairfax

Arcane
I agree, but it was a different case. D:OS is part of a franchise, but the games are all very different. TTON has to live up to PS:T's standards (to a certain extent) and that means being similar in many aspects. Casuals know PS:T is highly praised, but they've never played it. They're just going to turn the forums into an echo chamber saying everything about it is deep, complex, fantastic and as good as the old-school CRPGs they pretend they've played.
I'm not saying it isn't or that it can't be, but casuals wouldn't know the difference.

Same as it was with PoE, really. I remember lurking around here during the beta and Obsidian didn't change one line in the game because of codexian/grognard feedback.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I agree, but it was a different case. D:OS is part of a franchise, but the games are all very different. TTON has to live up to PS:T's standards (to a certain extent) and that means being similar in many aspects. Casuals know PS:T is highly praised, but they've never played it. They're just going to turn the forums into an echo chamber saying everything about it is deep, complex, fantastic and as good as the old-school CRPGs they pretend they've played.
I'm not saying it isn't or that it can't be, but casuals wouldn't know the difference.

Same as it was with PoE, really. I remember lurking around here during the beta and Obsidian didn't change one line in the game because of codexian/grognard feedback.

ToN currently has 19 reviews and all are positive.

Also a lot of casuals have played Torment since 1999. It's a casual-friendly RPG given its de-emphasis on having to understand any rules. They probably didn't finish it (which is the norm), but they've played it.

Fry

Arcane
Most of the discussion on steam is casuals whining about the EA price or backers who apparently aren't bright enough to read tier descriptions suddenly shocked they don't have beta access.

Useful game play impressions? Zero.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom