Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Discussion in 'inXile Entertainment' started by Infinitron, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Urthor Liturgist Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    the beta was released in Jan/Feb

Wasteland 2 was 10 months from beta to release

I mean for them to take longer than 10 is definitely conceivable, but like doing the math, there's no way I would expect them to take LESS than 10 months from beta, given they have much more cash for Torment than Wasteland 2.

^ Top  
  2. DosBuster Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

DosBuster
    Codex USB, 2014
    If it's releasing this year it'd have to be October or maybe December otherwise they're going to get dumped on by all the AAA titles

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Urthor Liturgist Patron

Urthor
    Na you have a good point. Oct-December is absolutely blacked out for a title like Numenera, it'll be first quarter 2017 100%.

October's competition is too steep for it, November/December no contest, the late December slot that Just Cause traditionally releases in isn't very strong to say the least.

^ Top  
  4. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Wasteland 2 was in beta for nine months, from December to September. There's reason to believe that Torment wouldn't need as much time (more experienced team, established engine, etc).

^ Top  
  5. Sensuki Arcane

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Then again they didn't completely re-work the introduction to WL2 I suppose.

^ Top  
  6. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Do we know what is the word count ?

Will combat encounters balance out reading and talking?

^ Top  
  7. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Close to 1 billion by now, I'd assume.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  8. Urthor Liturgist Patron

Urthor
    Yes but when has a video game developer ever said "oh ok we can't release the game between October-December, do you want some more time or do you just want to crunch it out and get it gold in October."

I'm sure this'll get the usual delay outta holiday season.

^ Top  
  9. Sacred82 Self-Ejected Dumbfuck

Self-Ejected
    a 50/50 ratio is not desired for this game.

^ Top  
  10. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    What is then ?

^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    *shrug* They're planning for this year. For all we know it could be out in August.

^ Top  
  12. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Let me just point out that the release version of W2 was basically a glorified beta and that they released the finished version a year later. I'm hoping this won't be the case here.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    I don't see why they wouldn't launch in November. It's not like they're competing for the same demographic with people who will buy Halo 8 or whatever AAA shit comes out this year.

^ Top  
  14. Urthor Liturgist Patron

Urthor
    Press oxygen for one. The difference between absolute maximum coverage for a game in the dead months, versus pretty much nothing in the depths of November, probably adds up to 100k+ sales.

How much of PoE's sales were based on PCGamer/Kotaku et al pretty much sperging all over it, handing out advertising money can't buy because Jason Schreier got flashbacks to the childhood he spent locked in his bedroom pretending he was a wizard? If you release in February in XCom2's release slot, or hell in Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen's last weeks of January slot, you'll be giving a gift to the paid game advertisers reviewers by giving them content. And they'll pay back, especially if the rest of the game holds up to the vertical slice we've been given.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
    (i) Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

(ii) Never use a long word where a short one will do.

(iii) If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.

(iv) Never use the passive where you can use the active.

(v) Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

(vi) Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

http://www.openculture.com/2016/05/george-orwells-six-rules-for-writing-clear-and-tight-prose.html

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    Combat would not neccesary ruin Torment experience. A good chunck of fun combat encounters would be nice intermezzo for reading 1 billion
    words. Nevertheless, good writing keeps you engaged.

^ Top  
  17. Sacred82 Self-Ejected Dumbfuck

Self-Ejected
    70/30 would be about right IMO. I definitely want to spend more time sifting through info dumps, exploring and talking than fighting.

^ Top  
  18. SniperHF Arcane

SniperHF
    I haven't counted it out or anything, but I'd say it's closer to 85/15 in the beta content even if you intentionally fight everything you can. Keeping in mind that there is at least two locations not implemented yet but the entrances are present and both of those locations seem like they will have combat opportunities.

I suspect that a place like the bloom would have more obvious combat opportunities than Sagus Cliffs though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
    I mean, it went through some significant changes. One of my contributions on WL2 was helping re-design the opening Radio Tower area, which initially had a less different paths/skill choices. Not that it's like a big expansive area but I feel it hits a good cross-section of challenges/possibilities for a "first area".

That was all pre-beta though.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    So, Brother None, is the next TTON beta update several months away? or maybe just a few?

Pl0x clarify ! I suppose you're still aiming for a 2016 release, too.

^ Top  
  21. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
    It's more a matter of weeks than months, we're testing and polishing up the early game zones along with major changes and additions. We'll share more word on social media and elsewhere when we have more info & a solid ETA.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  23. Rev Arcane

Rev
    Nice interview, I'm glad Ziets ended up having a large role in the game. Although he's not in charge of the narrative, his presence is probably the main reason why I have some hope that inXile will finally deliver a good game this time.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. SymbolicFrank Magister

SymbolicFrank
    So, does it look like an exceptional gaming experience?

^ Top  
  25. iZerw Arcane

iZerw
    Did they even update it?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.