Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
How long is this thing going to hit the next stretch goal? 500k between is a lot of money. I wonder if they'll throw other things out past the $3,000,000 level. 500k between goals there is pretty wishful thinking.
Yeah I was thinking the same. Maybe some smaller stretch goals? Brother None?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
How long is this thing going to hit the next stretch goal? 500k between is a lot of money. I wonder if they'll throw other things out past the $3,000,000 level. 500k between goals there is pretty wishful thinking.
It makes sense to have big step stretch goals at the start and the end, and smaller increments in between. I think the update discussed that? Don't fret unduly, I think we've got a good approach for keeping things interesting, including setting up a continuous stretch goal. That's p vague but it's all I got.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now would be a good time to kick in some stretch goals tied to number of backers / number of votes given on their forum / copies of the great book of elves sold etc.

I'm not a great fan of 100k stretch goal. I'd rather have big significant goals and a continuous one. But then it seams to have worked great for PE...

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yb26HBz.jpg

Endless stream of shops, Go!

mondblut

Arcane
Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Can someone explain the Colin McComb book thing? Why must he apologize?

Here's a "Let's Read" so you can see for yourself: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?626446-Let-s-Read-The-Complete-Book-of-Elves

I've endured about 10 pages, and all I see is butthurt leftards screeching "natseees!" and demanding 'diversity'. What's wrong with that book, again?
1 - Average D&D players are too retarded to understand the concepts of optional rules and GM fiat

2 - the fiction glorifies elves to the point of retardation, if somebody opened the book to look for inspiration for elves in their campaign they would probably give up on the idea in 5 minutes, I mean everyone knows elves are better than everyone at everything, doesn't need to remind it on every paragraph.

mondblut

Arcane
What's wrong with that book, again?

Somewhat unbalanced pnp mechanics, he simply didn't do a good job with the rules and numbers game that is D&D.

Then the thread should have focused on that, rather than repeating "bawwww they are being nazi racist bigots again, zomg somebody tell them it's wrong" for 30 fucking pages :roll:

Also, unbalanced mechanics are awesome.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
What's wrong with that book, again?

Somewhat unbalanced pnp mechanics, he simply didn't do a good job with the rules and numbers game that is D&D.
That's not a good enough reason for the unbridled hate that people show towards it. I haven't read it, but I agree with mondblut that, after reading a few pages from that thread, it's nothing to get your panties in a twist about. If you can't deal with that, or take it as tongue-in-cheek, then you may have trouble getting out of your housebasement in the morning and dealing with life.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You mean...niche interest fans have a tendency to blow things out of proportion?! :eek:

We're hardly in a good position to lecture PnP fans on how seriously they take their hobby man. And besides, it was picked up as a small bit of poking fun at this more unfortunate product of Colin's career. Is it *that* bad? No. Has he done better things? Yes.

Also heh, Colin replied to that thread.

Gozma

Arcane
I just said this in another thread but Elfbook came out several years before the dichotomous use of the terms "buff" and "nerf" existed, much less stuff like the current understanding of the word "gameplay." People are gonna flail around when they don't have the language to criticize shit.

Zeriel

Arcane
Can people stop pointing to joindate instead of offering counterarguments? It's really, really fucking retarded, and it's spreading like a case of veneral disease through the codex.

To be fair, most of the times this happens the argument in question is so utterly retarded that a counterargument isn't really needed.

On the contrary, more often than not it's either presented as a joke or as a form of surrender in said argument. I have yet to see it used convincingly, but then as someone who has either been lurking or posting here since 2002, I'm used to seeing almost everything in the light of jokes or trolling, so who knows.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can someone summarize this thread? I don't have time to read 95 pages.

It doesn't have a summary, it's just where we chat about the latest Torment news.

If you're concerned about staying up to date, everything critical has its own post on the Codex front page/news forum.

Delterius

Arcane
Can someone summarize this thread? I don't have time to read 95 pages.

It doesn't have a summary, it's just where we chat about the latest Torment news.

If you're concerned about staying up to date, everything critical has its own post on the Codex front page/news forum.

Well that was unhelpful.
Should've realized this place has no redeeming quality months ago.

~Qwinn

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Monte Cook's tribute to Zeb Cook: http://www.montecookgames.com/david-zeb-cook/

I’m overwhelmed with the success of the Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter. It’s amazing and I cannot wait to work on it, as the guys at inXile are really a great bunch. It’s got me thinking a bit about the original Planescape: Torment game, which was fun (although I never actually worked on it, I enjoyed playing it, like just about everyone else). Which of course brings to mind Planescape itself, which was also a blast to work on. The Planescape tabletop rpg setting, created by David “Zeb” Cook, taught me a lot about rpg setting design.

When I was about 14 years old, I was in a bookstore checking out the latest D&D offerings, when a new module caught my eye. It was called Dwellers of the Forbidden City, and while it looked cool and had a great cover, what attracted me was the author’s name: David Cook. Because, of course, that guy’s name was my last name. I remember it so clearly because it was the first time I realized that it was somebody’s job to write D&D modules.

I wanted that to be my job.

Years later, while working as a freelancer rpg designer, I got invited to interview for a job at TSR itself. Before the scheduled interview, I happened to meet David “Zeb” Cook at a convention and he sat down with me and talked about what it was like to work there. He was great, and even bought me lunch. By that time, Zeb was the creator of 2nd Edition D&D–pretty much already a legend. When I got the job, it was Zeb that came to the airport to pick me up. A great guy. It wasn’t that long before we started to joke that we were related (we weren’t) and that was how I got the job.

My first week at TSR was kind of rough. I wasn’t sure I’d made the right decision to come to work there. They didn’t seem to be doing much in the way of product that excited me. On the Friday of my first week, however, a boxed set showed up on my desk. I opened it up, and was utterly blown away. I spent the weekend reading a new campaign setting called Planescape and it was light years beyond anything I’d seen before. The text was imaginative, daring, and bold, and matched the fantastic art (by Tony DiTerlizzi) perfectly. It was written by Zeb, and I knew then and there that I wanted to work on products related to that setting.

After a while I did get to work on Planescape products–Planes of Conflict, Planewalker’s Handbook, Dead Gods, Hellbound, and a lot more. By the time Planescape: Torment was created, Zeb had moved on from TSR, but his legacy was clear. The factions of Planescape? All Zeb. The unique cant? Zeb. The city of Sigil? Yep, Zeb.

There wouldn’t have been a Torment without Zeb. And frankly, there probably wouldn’t be a Numenera without Planescape. Planescape taught me how an rpg setting can stretch the boundaries and focus on ideas more than just rules.

If the Ninth World, Numenera’s setting, is half as imaginative and cool as Planescape, I will consider it a huge success.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
who wears pants in the comfort of their own home?
I don't want my skin touching any furniture for a prolonged period of time so I'm almost always wearing pants. Pajamas are perfectly comfortable.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeah I was thinking the same. Maybe some smaller stretch goals? Brother None?

Brian Fargo‏@BrianFargo
Yes we are working on an intermediate stretch goal between 2.5 and 3 mil... we hope to have it by tomorrow. Another great day!

Yes, indeed

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom