Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Top YouTube comment on Colin's apology:

New Stretch Goal: at $2.75 Million Colin apologizes for his apology.

:lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Brother None Your attention is needed here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3534783
Ugh, yet another attempt to show love for "oldschool cRPG fans" that just ends up repeating the same mistakes that were made 20 years ago. The Wasteland 2 video looked abjectly awful, with its tedious, shallow, and stagnant combat.
I played the entire Ultima series, I played the entire Fallout series, I played the majority of the AD&D games and went through most of the M&M and Wizardry series, I used to breathe cRPGs daily. Now I don't give a shit, I don't want to play them anymore because the style of play is stagnant, repetitive, tedious, shallow, irritating, and to put it simply, just mechanically stupid.

They were enjoyable in a time when nearly everything on the PC was an ambitious, half-way broken game, but now it's just really uninteresting to play a game created by a team that supposedly were designing it for people "JUST LIKE YOU," without realizing that you probably played those games to death back in the day and playing another one is just going to be like eating the old porridge from last week that tasted good back when it was warm and fresh, but now is just a coagulated slop.
Also that guy is partially accurate though even I wasn't nearly as harsh as he is. ;) He sure does love his synonymous adjectives.

He's accurate that no one should make actual RPGs any more because first person corridor shooters are just superior in every way? Okay.
Just as I thought, his problem was entirely with execution and not style.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506352&userid=172807
I'm hoping against hope that it's top-down in some form or another with turn-based combat. The whole trend of sitting around listening to people babble for two hours and then going out and engaging in tepid cover-shooting/jamming on the mouse button to swing your sword over and over is getting really stale.

I'd rather listen to people babble for two hours and then go out and engage in some form of combat that actually requires something mentally strenuous in contrast to girding your loins against the mind-numbing tedium of the insipidness that is the core gameplay of Mass Effect/Elder Scrolls. Even Obsidian's own New Vegas was guilty of this.

You better believe I'll write these things down and address them nearly a month later when I can.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've most likely brought up grievances with others who have long forgotten said grievances. I can't remember any specific examples now. :roll:

Zeriel

Arcane
That guy really sounds to me like he has no clue what he likes. One moment he's lambasting old-school RPGs for being boring, kludgy, slow, and inferior, the next he's asking for them to come back. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, most human beings are far from consistent, the internet just preserves their hypocrisy for all time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That guy really sounds to me like he has no clue what he likes. One moment he's lambasting old-school RPGs for being boring, kludgy, slow, and inferior, the next he's asking for them to come back. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, most human beings are far from consistent, the internet just preserves their hypocrisy for all time.
He wants good turn-based combat that tests his thinking abilities. Not the boring turn-based combat that older RPGs offer.
PS:T was a pretty horrible game that was a complete slog to play, and half of the writing was good and the other half was over-written crap, I tend to roll my eyes when anyone mentions that one stone from the Sensate forum that describes Deionarra's experiences with The Nameless One, because it's absolutely awful. Its dribbling negatives and EXCESS OF CAPITALIZED WORDS read so poorly, it was just completely punctuated by awful prose to deliver its emotional payload but went way over the top. Then you have (shit) like the conversation with Ravel and the Transcendent one to make up for it, but then you have Annah, etc. and a few other dribblets of gobsmacked retardation to degrade the whole experience again.
Right but anyone playing the game blind wouldn't know this and those people shouldn't be punished with truly unsatisfying combat. The combat does a pretty good job given the time of its release.
No it doesn't, they took Baldur's Gate and somehow made the combat even worse. That's literally going backwards, it was even more unplayable than the mess that was FO's combat.
Also, the excuse of "Every other RPG is flawed in the same sense" is nonsense, that doesn't mean I have to like the fact that it's unbalanced (shit), I still get fed up when I play Arcanum and realize making a technologist is just no fun.
I think I like this guy.

Zeriel

Arcane
...Right. Although I do wonder what people mean when they say "good turn-based combat". For me, the best example is the new XCOM and old X-COM, stuff that is fundamentally quality and never really gets old. But I see a lot of people around here panning everything about new XCOM, so I'm not even sure what this mythical Turn-based Combat On A Hill would be, or whether they know what it would be, either. Then there's the whole issue of whether or not people want good combat at the expense of things like lots of options in dialogue or a very deep character development system, since good combat is likely to draw focus away from those two things in a realistic production cycle.

I think there's an argument to be made that the particular combination of things people want from an old-school RPG (deep dialogue trees with reactivity/a bevy of classes in the case of a game like P:E/turn-based combat) has to lead to some element being done in a mediocre way.

Kirtai

Augur
No it doesn't, they took Baldur's Gate and somehow made the combat even worse. That's literally going backwards, it was even more unplayable than the mess that was FO's combat.
Wasn't PS:T based on an earlier version of the engine than BG1? A fork from an earlier version or something?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's also flawed as hell. I like it, but I can see why someone wouldn't (someone with actual taste that is, that retards dislike it is of no consequence)

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Honestly watching Avellone stumble about made me start re-playing it. Albeit with the proper Bro-recommended mods.

Kirtai

Augur
yes. Torment was using the BG engine, not the BG II engine.
I mean that BG actually shipped with a more advanced version of the engine than PS:T did.

It was something like they forked and the BG fork got a lot more work done on it than the PS:T fork but I can't find the article where I read about it, dammit :mad:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Kirtai

You'll have to pardon Roguey. All you need know about hir (that's not a typo; it's a gender-neutral pronoun) is that ze considers all computer RPGs ever developed to be mediocre at best—filled with kludgy slogs and clunky mechanics—and at worst, completely terrible in every way.

Except for Project: Eternity, that is. Project: Eternity will be the first totally perfect cRPG ever developed, because His Resplendent Majesty the Glorious and Most Eminent Joshua Sawyer won't allow a single problematic feature to besmirch the work of art.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
How to post like Roguey:

It the topic about JE Sawyer?

Yes - Post OMG OVER THE TOP FAN BOY PRAISE AND SHOW THE VIRTUES OF HOW AWESOME SAWYER IS! OMG!
No - Shit post embarrassingly shit generic statements. Bonus points for saying how superior Sawyer is on a same issue.

I actually like Sawyer. I do not however 100% agree with his opinions on many issues.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
How to post like Roguey:

It the topic about JE Sawyer?

Yes - Post OMG OVER THE TOP FAN BOY PRAISE AND SHOW THE VIRTUES OF HOW AWESOME SAWYER IS! OMG!
No - Shit post embarrassingly shit generic statements. Bonus points for saying how superior Sawyer is on a same issue.

I actually like Sawyer. I do not however 100% agree with his opinions on many issues.

NEVAR FORGET!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Apparently, not everyone comprehends that criticizing a person doesn't necessarily mean that the critic doesn't hold the subject of criticism in high regard in other respects.

Edit: Jesus Christ, that's the most convoluted sentence I've written all year. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom