Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

GloomFrost

Arcane
Sagus Cliffs is one of the better-designed areas of the game because it was part of the Backer Beta so they front-loaded the game on purpose. Just wait till you move further ahead.
The Bloom hub that was written by Ziets is the highlight of the game and really does have that dark Planescape feel to it.

The Jester

Cipher
The problem with Numenera was also the stuff that's not on the game, but was supposed to. The kickstarter was a mess of embarassing proportions.
"The Kickstarter project closed with InXile raising more than $4.18 million in donations for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Combined with donations from PayPal, InXile raised more than $4.3 million, pushing the developer past its $4.25 million stretch goal."
Them whores and coke ain't gonna pay themselves boy!
:dontbelievehislies:

The problem with Numenera was also the stuff that's not on the game, but was supposed to. The kickstarter was a mess of embarassing proportions.
"The Kickstarter project closed with InXile raising more than $4.18 million in donations for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Combined with donations from PayPal, InXile raised more than $4.3 million, pushing the developer past its $4.25 million stretch goal."
There were expansions or DLC on the way but they never materialized, and I think there's a big chunk of the game missing too.

ColonelMace

Novice
I assume my good time with it takes source in three buddhist principles : no expectations, care for the moment, play with a gamepad (I strongly recommend this for those who, like me, don't actually have the setup to play with mouse and keyboard while still being able to comfily lay back in their chair while they spend a couple hours reading and reading on in the evening). I unironically believe this game is better played with a gamepad, and I guess it tells a lot about how little is to be expected from its systems.

I have no memory of what was promised beyond the "spiritual sucessor" carrot that, in my case, has rotten long ago anyway.

The Bloom hub that was written by Ziets is the highlight of the game and really does have that dark Planescape feel to it.

I spoiled myself regarding the locations already (because a few npcs talk about this land and that city and this country etc and I wanted to check if you could travel to them and, obviously, you can't) and am slightly curious about the Bloom and the Memovira.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Monty said that a good portion of that was spent on Wasteland 2. The Bard's Tale IV kickstarter really didn't bring in much so the project Fargo cared the least about got the short end of the stick. Some alleged inXile employees on glassdoor talk about how grateful they are that they no longer have to put up with the money-juggling act.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Sagus Cliffs is one of the better-designed areas of the game because it was part of the Backer Beta so they front-loaded the game on purpose. Just wait till you move further ahead.
Agreed on the Bloom. Only part of the game I even remember, which means it has to have been above average.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I've played through the game when it came out and don't remember much aside some key scenes. I know that they patched in a new companion (that blob like thing) - is it a relatively fleshed out one or just a gimmick? Of the other companions I only remember the redhead lady. Any tips for companions that aren't so boring?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've played through the game when it came out and don't remember much aside some key scenes. I know that they patched in a new companion (that blob like thing) - is it a relatively fleshed out one or just a gimmick? Of the other companions I only remember the redhead lady. Any tips for companions that aren't so boring?
Oom is good.

Erritis, a Chris Avellone idea, is also good.

Rhin, a Patrick Rothfuss character, is a blatant and effective heartstring-tugger.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Oom is good.

Rhin, a Patrick Rothfuss character, is a blatant and effective heartstring-tugger.

Thanks, I never had that guy in my party because I thought his portrait looks stupid, lol. Will give it another try.
And yes I remember screwing that little girls quest line up somehow, permanently losing access to her.

Gonna start a new playthrough, atleast I can look forward to beautiful graphics and a nice soundtrack.

Litmanen

Educated
Oom is good.

Thanks, I never had that guy in my party because I thought his portrait looks stupid, lol. Will give it another try.
And yes I remember screwing that little girls quest line up somehow, permanently losing access to her.

Gonna start a new playthrough, atleast I can look forward to beautiful graphics and a nice soundtrack.
Rhin is not that bad and can be important in the last part of the game. Plus, is a good healer.

Erritis is fun and the quest is nice. Plus, he is a very good fighter.

masterridley2

Novice
I don't know how you were able to stomach the dialog. It was crushingly boring, pretentious and purple.

Nothing like the original. I was not able to continue and abandoned it somewhere on the city's surface.

Litmanen

Educated
I don't know how you were able to stomach the dialog. It was crushingly boring, pretentious and purple.

Nothing like the original. I was not able to continue and abandoned it somewhere on the city's surface.
For sure it is nothing like the original and I never ever said or implied that.

This game has nothing in common with Planescape and is 1/4 as good as the original (maybe).

But since I'm playing this game and not the original (that I have enjoyed years ago), I just try to enjoy a game if it's good per se.

And this game was acceptably good, nothing life-changing, very verbose. But good.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

The dialogues about the lore, lost civilisations, the lost technology and such was interesting, as well as some of the more outlandish npcs or creatures.

But yeah, the more common npcs are pretty boring sadly.

Litmanen

Educated

The dialogues about the lore, lost civilisations, the lost technology and such was interesting, as well as some of the more outlandish npcs or creatures.

But yeah, the more common npcs are pretty boring sadly.
No NPCs or companions are worth remembering in a long time, that's true.

I think Tybir was a lost opportunity. It sounded as an interesting character and "usable" for plot iimplications, due to his "nature".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom