Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How is that biased?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Even with so few combat encounters in the game, reviewers are still claiming they outstay their welcome. How inxile could make combat worse than Wasteland 2 is an achievement unto itself.

After the first combat encounter (not the tutorial vs the Sorrow), I feel like that's the case already. It was entirely banal.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I raised the possibility once that they'd gone with turn-based because it's simpler to design/implement than RTwP. He seemed dismissive of that idea.

Interacting with the game is like wading through molasses as it is. I shudder to think what their version of RTwP would be like.

xxB0JTq.jpg

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Did you have a source for that or was it just your impression? Genuinely interested as from what I remember the deal announcement was worded quite vaguely, but other similar deals (eg Paradox with Obs) involved more than just one revenue stream.

I was just guessing, but InXile couldn't even generate console keys, so it looks like they basically gave up the rights to console distribution.

Obviousplant

Educated
Even with so few combat encounters in the game, reviewers are still claiming they outstay their welcome. How inxile could make combat worse than Wasteland 2 is an achievement unto itself.
I'd say that the normal trash battles aren't really that bad, they can be fun in small doses and solved fairly quickly, but my God the boss battles/pivotal encounters dragged on. Frame rate issues + having to wait for 10, some times 15+ enemies and neutral/friendly NPCs to make their move + unfair&unbalanced design =breeze through the start of the encounter, trigger some script, get flooded with an overwhelming amount of enemies... reload a save, go over the same shit (takes 10-15 minutes to get there because of the slowness and the fact that you need to waste turns opening doors/rescuing hostages), the same thing happens again. I could've been underleveled, but it's a linear game and I breezed through normal encounters, so I don't think so).

Hellion

Arcane
I've noticed that a few people around the net are denouncing the Ragequit.gr review for the game because "the author expected another Planescape: Torment and judges the game too harshly" and "he bashes the game but gave it a relatively high score, therefore the review sucks".

It's funny because I remember people were denouncing the Ragequit.gr Fallout 4 Review when it came out because "the author expected another Fallout 1-2-New Vegas and judges the game too harshly" and "he bashes the game but gave it a relatively high score, therefore the review sucks".

Denouncers gonna denounce. A lower-than-average-scoring review rubs people this way for some reason.

GloomFrost

Arcane
I'd say that the normal trash battles aren't really that bad, they can be fun in small doses and solved fairly quickly, but my God the boss battles/pivotal encounters dragged on. Frame rate issues + having to wait for 10, some times 15+ enemies and neutral/friendly NPCs to make their move + unfair&unbalanced design =breeze through the start of the encounter, trigger some script, get flooded with an overwhelming amount of enemies... reload a save, go over the same shit (takes 10-15 minutes to get there because of the slowness and the fact that you need to waste turns opening doors/rescuing hostages), the same thing happens again. I could've been underleveled, but it's a linear game and I breezed through normal encounters, so I don't think so).
Ha Looks like turn based combat instead of RTWP wasnt such a great idea after all. InXile never stops to amuse.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You just have to ...you know, change the way you design encounters based on what system you have. You can't just slap the RTwP fights onto a TB game.

Sentinel

Arcane
Every TB game has terrible encounter design and pacing. That's why it's such a shit system. I don't know of any game that did it well (with the exception of ToEE). Even recent games that the Codex likes to jerk off to, like Underrail and DivOS, had terrible encounters that were way too frequent or dragged on for way too long.

Jezal_k23

I think I'm going to wait until the game is patched up and whatever DLC they want to release, if they want to do that, is released before playing it. We'll see though.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Every TB game has terrible encounter design and pacing. That's why it's such a shit system. I don't know of any game that did it well (with the exception of ToEE). Even recent games that the Codex likes to jerk off to, like Underrail and DivOS, had terrible encounters that were way too frequent or dragged on for way too long.

:prosper: :prosper: :prosper:

Sentinel

Arcane
Here comes the butthurt squad that has been in denial for 10 years.
Stay mad faggots. Unless it's Tim Cain designing a turn-based game, don't ever expect anything remotely playable to come out of it.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Ha Looks like turn based combat instead of RTWP wasnt such a great idea after all. InXile never stops to amuse.

I think the problem is that they tried to make an exploration game when it is obvious that the game has a CYOA vocation. If the combat was presented in a text-adventure style, everything would be more enjoyable.

Here comes the butthurt squad that has been in denial for 10 years. Stay mad faggots. Unless it's Tim Cain designing a turn-based game, don't ever expect anything remotely playable to come out of it.

That ship has sailed. He designed the turn-based combat of "South Park: The Stick of Bulshit".

ArchAngel

Arcane
I was once a player of Pillars of Eternity but it dragged for way too long.

That area has some special features, so if you get past it performance might improve afterwards

It did get better but not by a lot, still unplayable. Shit's weird too, since it doesn't really put any strain on GPU or CPU it just sits at an extremely low fps and stutters every few seconds.

Sentinel

Arcane
I was once a player of Pillars of Eternity but it dragged for way too long.
Me too. Thankfully no fight ever dragged for more than 10 minutes and I didn't have to waste 8 of those watching 20 AI individually moving on the battlefield.
That's an improvement of a kind!

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Companions are middling. [...] I also have no idea what was in Avellone's mind with Errits. Again, it's not awful, it's just... Avellone needs to stay with the depressing, crazy and reflexive characters. Happy go lucky with an edge/tragedy are not his forte.

If only someone could travel back in time to 1999 and tell MCA not to write Morte! PST would've been soooo much better!

Yeah, good catch.

Still, Morte was not really happy go lucky. Erritis is more of a Minsc that has some wierd "tromenty" stuff that makes him behave like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom