Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
because then you get a game with such great tim cain combat like arcanum

7e7.jpg

Behead those who insult Arcanum!

The future must not belong to those who slander the name of Tim Cain (PBUH).

Fairfax

Arcane
How is that biased?
First they said they'd stay neutral. When RTwP started to pull ahead by ~200 votes, they added these descriptions. The descriptions are quotes from their Combat update and explain in basic terms how each system would be implemented. But then RTwP kept winning, so they added these "advantages", which are the most biased part of the whole thing. RTwP only has 2 "advantages", and TB's advantages are very subjetive: "more depth", "more thoughtful", and also "we can adapt WL2's system", which is telling backers that it'd make development easier.
When people in KS comments called them out for trying to sway the vote, BN said they were never going to let backers choose, and that not making their preference clear would've been dishonest:
WviprkA.png

However, in one of the videos during the campaign, Tony Evans explicitly said the combat system was going to be decided by backers:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
2nd place on steam top sellers, beating For Honor but below some lulzy early access first person naval combat game.

That can't be all bad, can it? Maybe Fargo will make enough money to finish Bard's Tale?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Almost 2 hours in. The writing so far doesnt even touch torment's which is so,distinct and unique. Like someone said here, in planescape if someone speak and you read, you most likely will know who it is just from how they speak.

It isnt bad, or anywhere near bad in videogame standard. it is infact pretty good at best, meh at worst. It just havent lived up to the game that it hyped to be the spiritual successor of.

Sentinel

Arcane
2nd place on steam top sellers, beating For Honor but below some lulzy early access first person naval combat game.

That can't be all bad, can it? Maybe Fargo will make enough money to finish Bard's Tale?
He had more money, time (compared to PoE), and a pre-established setting to work on for Torment and couldn't even finish the game without delays and cutting stretch goals.
You put too much faith in the con man.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How is that biased?
First they said they'd stay neutral. When RTwP started to pull ahead by ~200 votes, they added these descriptions. The descriptions are quotes from their Combat update and explain in basic terms how each system would be implemented. But then RTwP kept winning, so they added these "advantages", which are the most biased part of the whole thing. RTwP only has 2 "advantages", and TB's advantages are very subjetive: "more depth", "more thoughtful", and also "we can adapt WL2's system", which is telling backers that it'd make development easier.
When people in KS comments called them out for trying to sway the vote, BN said they were never going to let backers choose, and that not making their preference clear would've been dishonest:
WviprkA.png

However, in one of the videos during the campaign, Tony Evans explicitly said the combat system was going to be decided by backers:

It sounded like you suggest that the description in votes was biased. It didn't look like that to me.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Whats the soundtrack like? Is there anything even close to something unique like Dionara theme or brothel of intellectual lusts theme?? Or is it standard fantasy blockbuster crap??

Sherry

Arcane
Whats the soundtrack like? Is there anything even close to something unique like Dionara theme or brothel of intellectual lusts theme?? Or is it standard fantasy blockbuster crap??

Hi!

I like the name you picked for your account thought I would share that but if you are looking to listen to this soundtrack you can do so below like I am. Although I have another game I am playing right now I have been keeping an eye on the threads here about this game because it looks and sounds interesting and music for a game can really set the right atmosphere and mood so give it a listen okay?

There is not much else I can say about this game since I do not have it yet but the thread does have a lot of reviews for the game and some good folks are playing it already and posting their thoughts so stick around and see you soon.

Thanks,
Sherry

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

It's good enough, but tries too much to get the Planescape vibe without constructing a solid identity by itself. Also, a lot of them feel very samey. I though that much like Wasteland 2 there wasn't a whole lot of music, but looking at the number of tracks, that's not the case.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
So far it's better than I expected and dialogues aren't that bad. Maybe there is purple prose (wouldn't know, my English is too bad and in fact I'm glad they use fancy words so that I can improve my English along the way) but at least dialogues are convincing and NPCs are convincing, e.g.

Logical conclusions like these are all over the place and so far I haven't encountered a single retarded dialogue which are plenty in Bioware/Bethesda games. But yeah, unless you're not against CYOA you probably won;t like this game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I on purpose distanced myself from everything about this game and went in blind. Here are bare minimum of my first impressions:

- The prologue put me into sleeping mode, before I realised it was actually character generation hidden behind surreal text dumps that generally were not needed. Since character generation is so easy, just following with it after the Fall would be a lot better. And I was waiting for some cool introduction movie a-la PS:T but there is none? Did I skip it?

- First 2 companions I've met felt bland and tasteless like eating through a cardboard box, their voice acting not helping at all.

- The first level with dancing cones and metal plants drawn me back into the game and made me curious about everything.

- It is very fun how easy you can die in this game King's Quest-style.

- Everything in the city I am now in is strange, never seen before in games and I want to know what does it do. I love all the moving parts of the scenery. This is very good, because since forever I don't yet know what to expect from the game, its landscapes, creatures, items, and skills (I picked thought reading and already got cool dialogue from Erritis who is cool).

Yes, it may not have the deep meaning and grandiose behind it that PS:T universe had with its mythical and religious background, but there is value in just surprise and unknowing themselves.

- Music is dreamy, unoffensive and pretty.

But I have the question. Where are the Tides?

I was expecting something like this:

01907276.jpg

But there is only inventory, skills and journal.

Don't tell me there is nothing in the UI that works with the Tides except that little icon in the corner?

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Great start, first two party members I meet and I instinctively want to kill both of them.

And of course I can't send them their merry own way or choose not to reveal anything about myself to them.

Back to Tales of Maj'eyal it is.

Also, the story is way, way too obvious.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Can you rest to replenish might/speed/intellect or only items do that? Like already mentioned, Callistege and Aligern are cardboardy and somehow monotonous.

Vagiel

Augur
A review on a Greek site ragequit.gr is very negative of the game giving it 60/100. It mentions no meaningful combat, small campaign endings based solely on last minute choices. Guys it doesn't sound good at all...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can you rest to replenish might/speed/intellect or only items do that? Like already mentioned, Callistege and Aligern are cardboardy and somehow monotonous.

Yes, you can replenish your stat pools and health by resting.

Resting is limited to places where you can rest, generally for a fee.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So far it's better than I expected and dialogues aren't that bad. Maybe there is purple prose (wouldn't know, my English is too bad and in fact I'm glad they use fancy words so that I can improve my English along the way) but at least dialogues are convincing and NPCs are convincing, e.g.
The purple prose is mostly in descriptions and it isn't that bad. Dialogues are fine. I'm having fun so far.
There's two places in Sagus where you can rest. Depending on your chocies, one of them can let you rest for free.

Cromwell

Arcane
The purple prose is mostly in descriptions and it isn't that bad. He said Dialogues are fine. I'm having fun so far.

Don't tell me there is nothing in the UI that works with the Tides except that little icon in the corner?

Yes, you can only see your dominant tides in that little icon.

But do they have a meaningful impact in the game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom