Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Tortured Hearts - successor to NWN module series

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
mindx2

Please read my answer.

Jasede

Yeah... we'll be back...

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
How many RPGs have you created in your life?
My next question: what have you done for others in your life that took you 5 years? For free.

Oh, god, I'm gonna lose my temper here this is just getting stupid.

OF COURSE you do like your game and think is great. God forbid the indie developer stupid enough to start working on a game of his own who doesn't even like it. But you're trying to get 300.000$ from the people out there, and people want their money well spent.

Want to sell your game to potential customers? Then stop acting like a dumbfuck and treating us like morons. You're not winning anyone by playing the apologist and telling us your game is great and we're so wrong, because it's US who you're trying to sell the game to, not you.

If you want to keep comparing your project to Wasteland's 2, for beginners, they listened to the feedback that was given by their customers and made changes accordingly, who else but the one's that gonna play and pay for it knows what does he wants?

You should consider yourself lucky that we're giving you this much feedback and start writing everything, we've been told many a one to fuck off.

Stabwound

Arcane
How did this go on for 12 pages so far? Oh, I see, the developer has about 1/2 the posts.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
Berekän

Sigh, you are one of those who didn't understand what I wrote.
I was not talking about the kickstarter game, but the mods.

So, hold your horses, please.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
For those who are concerned...
This is the latest comment on the Kickstarter page:

"I love the art style in the video, and I hope you will make the game one way or another! I'll spread the word on Facebook. :)"
John Alvarado, Technical Director at InXile

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
These tips aren't as good as my top tips I posted earlier, but since I did post my top tips, I suppose these could be relevant:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Chel..._Top_5_Pitch_Tips_for_Kickstarter_Success.php

What’s In A Pitch?
“Like they always say, a good pitch is a good story,” explains Tim. In the end, the success of getting your game funded, either through a publisher or through crowdfunding, boils down to telling a great story to inspire support. As I listened to Tim talk it became clear that there are 5 key tips, or “forces” as he referred to them, to crafting the perfect pitch. “All of these forces come together and this game just has to be made,” he states. “Do you want to be the people that benefit it and pay for it? A pitch is like that,” Tim concludes.

So, what are the 5 forces to creating an effective pitch? Without further adieu, here is advice for creating the perfect pitch, courtesy of Tim Schafer:

1. Prove why the game has to be made.
No matter what your project idea is, you need to make sure it’s clear to potential backers why your project fills a void and is significant enough for them to fund it.

The Adventure example is an easy one to examine within this context. Tim explains in the pitch video that for years fans have been asking Double Fine to make an adventure game. Demand is proven. Further, the documentary aspect is a unique angle. No one has ever created a fully transparent documentary that shows the game development process “from start to finish, with all the passion, humor, and heartbreak that happens along the way.” For game lovers, the documentary angle is really compelling.

Tim admits that “If I were to go to a publisher right now and ask for funding they’d laugh in my face.” So they thought, “let’s just use Kickstarter to fund the game!” Not just any game, but an adventure game where the fans can literally view and “collaborate” throughout the development process. The only way to bring this project into existence was to have the fans fund it, “so it was a good story” says Tim. It was the perfect opportunity to give the fans something they wanted AND allow them the chance to be a integral part in it. It was the perfect storm for a perfect story.

2. Prove why the game has to be made in a certain way.
How are you going to make the game and what makes your approach unique?

For the Adventure project, the collaboration aspect adds an extremely unique angle to the game’s development process. The Adventure Kickstarter page explains that “There will be a private online community set up for the backers to discuss the project with the devs and submit their thoughts and feelings about the game's content and direction, sometimes even voting on decisions when the dev team can't decide.” This is not just a project, but an event in which you can participate in a way that never has, and may never again, be available to adventure fans. This is something unique.

3. Prove why your team is the one-and-only team to make it.
What do you bring to the table? Why are you the unique team to bring your vision to life in a way that no one else can?

This is easily exemplified by the Adventure project because the man that invented the Adventure game genre, Ron Gilbert (Maniac Mansion, The Secret of Monkey Island), is part of the Double Fine team. To boot, the entire Double Fine team is extremely skilled, comprised of some of the most talented artists, designers and programmers in the industry. They will not let fans down. They’re an ace in the hole for this project.

4. Prove why it’s critical the game is made now.
Is there a sense of urgency in why your project needs to get funded right now? You need to determine that angle and play it up in your pitch. In other words, develop a strong call-to-action.

In the pitch video Tim explains that “adventure games are a bit of a lost art form.” The Kickstarter text further illustrates the urgency of resurrecting the genre by stating “For fans of adventure games, this is a chance to prove that there is still a large demand out there for a unique medium that inspired so many of us.” Albeit subtle, the pitch definitely relays a sense of urgency in creating this game now. Additionally, the documentary bolsters the angle as it suggests nothing like this has ever been documented before - let’s do this and let’s do it now!

5. Prove that it’s more than game, it’s a significant event and fans need to be a part of it.
What can you offer to fans in return for their time and monetary support? It needs to be something of significant value, either tangible or abstract.

For the Adventure project, this is perhaps the most profound element. The pledge prizes are awesome and a lot of people probably backed the project just as a way to pre-pay for the finished Adventure game. The inclusiveness of participating however, really made the project special - a movement fans were called upon to be a part of. “Join Tim on his revolutionary adventure and become part of the experience” is the text that concludes the pitch video. The ability for backers to watch the monthly update video series and collaborate in the development of the game are priceless prizes in the eyes of many adventure fans.

The tangible prizes are also personalized. The Kickstarter page explains that “For anyone who wants to contribute above and beyond the call, we have a selection of premium rewards ranging from...unique posters, to original concept art, and even a mini painting of yourself done by the game's artist!”

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guys, stop feeding the troll. :deadhorse:

This guy obviously has delusion of grander because a few people said "Cool NWN mod" and he thought they meant "My God, you have to make this into a game. Here is all my money! You are great!" We keep going in circles. Let's let this thread die with whatever dignity it has left... which isn't much.

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
mindx2

So you place yourself above John's judgement.
Talk about trolls... (who ofc brofist each other)

Stabwound

Arcane
You can't venture into a troll's cave and not expect to get beaten over the head with its club. :smug:

SubBassman

Teleport Games
Developer
knotanalt

Dude, go away and take the similar trollish, juvenile, immature "friends" of yours with you. (about 4-5 jerks)
If you are far enough from here, then try growin' up. Maybe it's not too late.
If you find enjoyment in trolling, you are a sick, frustrated little man and you are the shame of the decent RPG Codex people.
And if you disagree with me... you know the rest, right?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Begging: the new marketing tactic.

:lol:

Next they will send people to your doorstep *we would like to tell you of a great new game*. In the mall, when you arrive at the cash, toddlers will clutch to your leg *please, please buy this game*.

Burning Bridges

knotanalt

Dude, go away and take the similar trollish, juvenile, immature "friends" of yours with you. (about 4-5 jerks)
If you are far enough from here, then try growin' up. Maybe it's not too late.
If you find enjoyment in trolling, you are a sick, frustrated little man and you are the shame of the decent RPG Codex people.
And if you disagree with me... you know the rest, right?

A small step for a man, but a giant leap towards retardo.

Burning Bridges

I should just ignore this thread but it just boggles the mind.

I had planned not to come back, but this keeps coming out at the top in 3 separate forums. I almost feel bad because Zoltan is such an easy victim, and I'm somehow liking the guy.

Kz3r0

Arcane
These tips aren't as good as my top tips I posted earlier, but since I did post my top tips, I suppose these could be relevant:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Chel..._Top_5_Pitch_Tips_for_Kickstarter_Success.php

What’s In A Pitch?
“Like they always say, a good pitch is a good story,” explains Tim. In the end, the success of getting your game funded, either through a publisher or through crowdfunding, boils down to telling a great story to inspire support. As I listened to Tim talk it became clear that there are 5 key tips, or “forces” as he referred to them, to crafting the perfect pitch. “All of these forces come together and this game just has to be made,” he states. “Do you want to be the people that benefit it and pay for it? A pitch is like that,” Tim concludes.

So, what are the 5 forces to creating an effective pitch? Without further adieu, here is advice for creating the perfect pitch, courtesy of Tim Schafer:

1. Prove why the game has to be made.
No matter what your project idea is, you need to make sure it’s clear to potential backers why your project fills a void and is significant enough for them to fund it.

The Adventure example is an easy one to examine within this context. Tim explains in the pitch video that for years fans have been asking Double Fine to make an adventure game. Demand is proven. Further, the documentary aspect is a unique angle. No one has ever created a fully transparent documentary that shows the game development process “from start to finish, with all the passion, humor, and heartbreak that happens along the way.” For game lovers, the documentary angle is really compelling.

Tim admits that “If I were to go to a publisher right now and ask for funding they’d laugh in my face.” So they thought, “let’s just use Kickstarter to fund the game!” Not just any game, but an adventure game where the fans can literally view and “collaborate” throughout the development process. The only way to bring this project into existence was to have the fans fund it, “so it was a good story” says Tim. It was the perfect opportunity to give the fans something they wanted AND allow them the chance to be a integral part in it. It was the perfect storm for a perfect story.

2. Prove why the game has to be made in a certain way.
How are you going to make the game and what makes your approach unique?

For the Adventure project, the collaboration aspect adds an extremely unique angle to the game’s development process. The Adventure Kickstarter page explains that “There will be a private online community set up for the backers to discuss the project with the devs and submit their thoughts and feelings about the game's content and direction, sometimes even voting on decisions when the dev team can't decide.” This is not just a project, but an event in which you can participate in a way that never has, and may never again, be available to adventure fans. This is something unique.

3. Prove why your team is the one-and-only team to make it.
What do you bring to the table? Why are you the unique team to bring your vision to life in a way that no one else can?

This is easily exemplified by the Adventure project because the man that invented the Adventure game genre, Ron Gilbert (Maniac Mansion, The Secret of Monkey Island), is part of the Double Fine team. To boot, the entire Double Fine team is extremely skilled, comprised of some of the most talented artists, designers and programmers in the industry. They will not let fans down. They’re an ace in the hole for this project.

4. Prove why it’s critical the game is made now.
Is there a sense of urgency in why your project needs to get funded right now? You need to determine that angle and play it up in your pitch. In other words, develop a strong call-to-action.

In the pitch video Tim explains that “adventure games are a bit of a lost art form.” The Kickstarter text further illustrates the urgency of resurrecting the genre by stating “For fans of adventure games, this is a chance to prove that there is still a large demand out there for a unique medium that inspired so many of us.” Albeit subtle, the pitch definitely relays a sense of urgency in creating this game now. Additionally, the documentary bolsters the angle as it suggests nothing like this has ever been documented before - let’s do this and let’s do it now!

5. Prove that it’s more than game, it’s a significant event and fans need to be a part of it.
What can you offer to fans in return for their time and monetary support? It needs to be something of significant value, either tangible or abstract.

For the Adventure project, this is perhaps the most profound element. The pledge prizes are awesome and a lot of people probably backed the project just as a way to pre-pay for the finished Adventure game. The inclusiveness of participating however, really made the project special - a movement fans were called upon to be a part of. “Join Tim on his revolutionary adventure and become part of the experience” is the text that concludes the pitch video. The ability for backers to watch the monthly update video series and collaborate in the development of the game are priceless prizes in the eyes of many adventure fans.

The tangible prizes are also personalized. The Kickstarter page explains that “For anyone who wants to contribute above and beyond the call, we have a selection of premium rewards ranging from...unique posters, to original concept art, and even a mini painting of yourself done by the game's artist!”
Seems standard sales tactic to me.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
"If you disagree with me just once you are a retarded shitposting troll with limited brain capabilities."

Heh, fitting

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom