Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War Saga: Troy - now on Steam

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Memnon is an Aethiopian king, Paris and Hector's cousin no less. The women are Amazons, quite a famous aspect of Greek myth. Penthesilea specifically came to Troy's defense. Both characters are in the actual Iliad.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Memnon is portrayed as black on ancient Greek pottery
The_Departure_of_Memnon_for_Troy._Greek%2C_circa_550-525_B.C..jpg

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Rhesus and Memnon DLC has been released.

I'm very happy we got more DLC for the best contemporary Total War. Which is a statement I still stand behind and you bitches be wrong.

Back then, everyone was disgusted about DLCs and selling the game pieces by pieces. 20 years later, some people are eager about DLCs and the pleasure to buy chunks of the game. It tells a lot about the overall quality of the base game itself.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Back then, everyone was disgusted about DLCs and selling the game pieces by pieces. 20 years later, some people are eager about DLCs and the pleasure to buy chunks of the game.
Those chunks are actual new content and not horse armor or whatever. Not to mention Troy did get a huge expansion-like DLC, so this isn't Paradox or even TW Warhammer. Troy is the last AAA game one should accuse of bad business practices.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
Those chunks are actual new content and not horse armor or whatever.
Content that should have been in the base game...You know the thing you buy thinking you'd get the whole package but only to receive one chuck of the final game?

Codex Year of the Donut
Even in 1600 they depicted him as a black guy
735px-Picart_-_Memnon.jpg
They can depict him however they want because he most likely never existed, for the same reason you can depict a king from Atlantis however you want.
But according to what we know, the land called Aethiopia was not modern day Ethiopia.

Lacrymas

Arcane
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aethiopia

The Greek name Aithiopia (Αἰθιοπία, from Αἰθίοψ, Aithíops, 'an Ethiopian') is a compound derived of two Greek words: αἴθω, aíthō, 'I burn' + ὤψ, ṓps, 'face'. According to the Perseus Project, this designation properly translates in noun form as burnt-face and in adjectival form as red-brown.[4][5] As such, it was used as a vague term for dark-skinned populations since the time of Homer.

Content that should have been in the base game...You know the thing you buy thinking you'd get the whole package but only to receive one chuck of the final game?
How do you decide which content "should've been in the base game?"

Codex Year of the Donut
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aethiopia

The Greek name Aithiopia (Αἰθιοπία, from Αἰθίοψ, Aithíops, 'an Ethiopian') is a compound derived of two Greek words: αἴθω, aíthō, 'I burn' + ὤψ, ṓps, 'face'. According to the Perseus Project, this designation properly translates in noun form as burnt-face and in adjectival form as red-brown.[4][5] As such, it was used as a vague term for dark-skinned populations since the time of Homer.

How do you decide which content "should've been in the base game?"
I disregard opinions from people who get their information from shitipedia

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can check any and all sources they have cited. You know this and are just being obtuse. If you have indisputable scientific evidence that Memnon was white, by all means share it with us.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
One big hurdle for black israelites like you, Lacrymas, is that you don't know very much about any part of the ancient world, not just Greece, but also Africa. I don't even want to get into it, because I know how senseless it is to try to teach people about these things. Just stop posting, this is an embarrassment for everyone involved.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Except that little 1 year exclusive with Epic thing

CA/Sega would have abandoned this shit pile just like Britannia if they weren't fronted that money.
I think Troy became excellent because of the Epic thing. Had it released on Steam without the Epic money in the state in which it released, it would've sunk harder than Britannia and we would've gotten nothing. Too bad Troy got bad rep and people still regurgitate old information about it.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Nothing would have been superior (and lol 800-900 playing on Steam 1 day after a DLC). The entire Saga series seems like a huge waste of time when they could be working on Medieval 3

Lacrymas

Arcane
Troy is a great contemporary Total War, though, the best one actually. There are 14 factions now and each one plays differently enough that it's worth playing them all, there are noticeable differences between the three modes that make them worth playing too, mythos mode is a better Warhammer than Warhammer, battles require at least some tactics, and it looks gorgeous. Yes, it has gameplay design problems, but that's true of all contemporary Total Wars. If you want an old school experience (why wouldn't you?), there's Rome Remastered now and its newest patch that unlocks everything possible to mod. Imo, the best Total Wars you can play now out of all of them are Troy, Rome Remastered, and Shogun 2. If you want Medieval, there is a medieval mod for Rome Remastered.

Lacrymas

Arcane
So. Are you sure you aren't sleeping on this? I'm still playing as Sarpedon on Veteran/Hard and it's no joke. Maybe I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics of this game yet, but I have to scrape together every little advantage I have to win fights with a reasonable number of losses and it still feels I'm losing a lot of troops. The AI will wreck you if you aren't harassing its backline with centaurs/griphons/harpies/chariots; it will also use god powers to break the melee units that are defending your own backline in order to get to it. I painstakingly managed to make some progress against Sarpedon's early enemies and that's with the advantage of Memnon now taking care of one of them. It's wild. Warhammer could never.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom