Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War Saga: Troy - now on Steam

A horse of course

Played a couple of hours of a Hector campaign. The campaign UI is an absolute fucking mess. I know they randomly pissed around with it for Thrones of Britannia, but I dunno if it's a shitshow in 3K too. Whereas before you had most of the important menus in one place (bottom right or top right), they're now randomly splattered in either the bottom right or top left. Oh and the diplomacy map can't be dragged, you have to use WASD (this cancer started in Warhammer II).

BAmkkXM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I decided to give it a try, and holy shit, this is the worst Total War I've ever played (I played most of them, but I did not play Britannia or whatever it was called). It's shit in every possible way, including battles and units that are full derp. No wonder it's free, it wouldn't sell anyway.

Beowulf

Arcane
I also gave it a try.

They managed to make the battles in a Total War game uninteresting. They are a clickfest, and the lightning speed with which the morale of unit breaks makes playing larger battles a chore.
On a plus side, the hero units don't seem overpowered and can be forced to retreat even when fighting against a single strong unit. In field battles AI is not that bad, and the speed of combat actually helps it, but it derps during sieges, as usual.

One would think, that with the emphasis on quick action and constant stimulus of the player's brain with things to click on, the action itself would be good at least. But sadly, that's not the case. Since they can't fix their problems with unit collision and decided (in Rome 2 I believe) to decouple fighters, so they are not locked in 1 to 1 combat, the fighting now looks like some mocaped stuntmen swinging not to fast all around them using hollywood idea of fighting. So there is a lot of kicking the air, elbowing the air, doing 360 no-scope with spears (thrusting the air), et caetera.
It's so bad you can only laugh about it.

The map itself looks nice, settlements are single resource focused, so it's pretty easy to manage.
But the strategic layer of gameplay itself is the usual Total War fare with wars being declared without logic and reason. And I believe the conflict Troy vs Achaia is scripted to happen anyway regardless of what you do. But when it happens, you still won't be able to secure a peace with that single enemy settlement of your culture that declared war on you, because devs decided countries should do that, or the player might be bored.
There are also usual agent shenanigans, which are a mixed bag.

I was hoping that smaller scope might result in a more enjoyable game.

But yeah - banalshitboring, unistall.exe.

Last edited:

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Damn, I thought they would build on the strenghts of 3K (good campaign gameplay, and improve the battles).

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Game is pretty solid, been playing non-stop since release as AgamenBROn. Aside from typical CA hate (which is deserved tbh), this is farm more interesting than last years Chinese borefest.

Decent resource mechanics. I'm actually enjoying being a baron of bronze and gold bug.
Actual sieges again.
Settlment progression actually makes sense for a change.
Diplomacy isn't complete clown shoes.
AI actually attacks the targets you designate.
Shitloads of maps to fight on.
Best looking TW by far.
No gay artillery spammage.
It's a bit shit there's no navy -Couldn't they just repurpose the triremes from Rome 2?
Back to basics with armies being mostly spears and skirmishers.

I still don't like the Hero shit that TW has added over the years. But I can let it slide in this game considering the setting, and they don't completely melt face like mages in Warhammer. I don't think spam abilities is any more fun or interesting than clever maneuvers and formation composition. I still worry for Medieval 3 and Joan of Arc being Warcraft Paladin casting smite spells.

I'll freely admit I'm a sucker for the setting. Seeing dudes twat eachother over the head with copper axes tickles my arsehole. Hopefully CA see it as a success (7.5million claims apparently) so we get more DLC in the bronze age. There is an occasional event where they mention the Pharaoh.

A horse of course

Game is pretty solid, been playing non-stop since release as AgamenBROn. Aside from typical CA hate (which is deserved tbh), this is farm more interesting than last years Chinese borefest.

Decent resource mechanics. I'm actually enjoying being a baron of bronze and gold bug.
Actual sieges again.
Settlment progression actually makes sense for a change.
Diplomacy isn't complete clown shoes.
AI actually attacks the targets you designate.
Shitloads of maps to fight on.
Best looking TW by far.
No gay artillery spammage.
It's a bit shit there's no navy -Couldn't they just repurpose the triremes from Rome 2?
Back to basics with armies being mostly spears and skirmishers.

I still don't like the Hero shit that TW has added over the years. But I can let it slide in this game considering the setting, and they don't completely melt face like mages in Warhammer. I don't think spam abilities is any more fun or interesting than clever maneuvers and formation composition. I still worry for Medieval 3 and Joan of Arc being Warcraft Paladin casting smite spells.

I'll freely admit I'm a sucker for the setting. Seeing dudes twat eachother over the head with copper axes tickles my arsehole. Hopefully CA see it as a success (7.5million claims apparently) so we get more DLC in the bronze age. There is an occasional event where they mention the Pharaoh.

Nah it's shit. Maybe better than ToB, at best.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Haven't played ToB.

Last one I tried was Three Kingdoms and found it absolutely hideous in every way. UI, art, gameplay, etc. Nothing captivated me despite the fact I like the setting.

Warhammer 2 vortex was a shit campaign. Mortal empires is quite impressive now that all the DLC is coming together but as a base game though it's a bit guff.

Warhammer 1 was a bit of a fuck up when it launched.

Atilla I enjoyed.

Rome 2 = aids

Shogun 2 = good.

FotS = Worthy

Napoleon = Decent

Empire = nah

Medieval 2 was good.

Rome 1 = 3d map was shit, cartoony units etc in what was once a grounded series.

Medieval and Shogun = An obsession, absolute magic.

I see this more like a Napoleon, and I freely admit I'm probably the only person who liked that installment.

It also only took them a decade to finally not make the warscape renderer look utterly hideous. Hopefully the lighting, image quality and foliage enhancements carry over to War3.

A horse of course

I made it to turn 150ish of a Hector campaign and gave up. Since the whole campaign is oriented towards the Gayreek vs. Trojan superpowers it's just a boring fucking grind of endless stack spam. Manually fighting battles feels pointless since an individual victory is meaningless in the grand scheme of massive NATO blocs feeding a million men into the meat grinder every turn. It's the complete antithesis of the legendary heroes and deeds of the Iliad. It's the Iliad if it were written by North Korea.

Uninstalling and going back to Attila.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I think somebody has fucked up somewhere in QA and added an extra digit onto chariot stats. They melt the front line and you can use them to chase down fleeing troops for the army replenishment bonus at the end.

I can't imagine how good Trojan chariots are with the archery to whittle the enemy down and then charge in once ammo is spent.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I made it to turn 150ish of a Hector campaign and gave up. Since the whole campaign is oriented towards the Gayreek vs. Trojan superpowers it's just a boring fucking grind of endless stack spam. Manually fighting battles feels pointless since an individual victory is meaningless in the grand scheme of massive NATO blocs feeding a million men into the meat grinder every turn. It's the complete antithesis of the legendary heroes and deeds of the Iliad. It's the Iliad if it were written by North Korea.

Uninstalling and going back to Attila.

It's fucking glorious as Mycenae. A Churchillian quest of sending your vassal slaves to die by the thousands on the beaches of dieppe whilst your elite bronze bro troops tackle the (not so) soft underbelly of Asia Minor. Bonus points if you make the Amazons your sex toys whilst you raze everything along your path.

This is what Archaon should be in Warhammer.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I decided to give it a try, and holy shit, this is the worst Total War I've ever played (I played most of them, but I did not play Britannia or whatever it was called). It's shit in every possible way, including battles and units that are full derp. No wonder it's free, it wouldn't sell anyway.
It costs 50 US money.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It costs 50 US money.
Oh well, it was free on release day.

Worth not even $1 though. Actually, not even downloading and wasting a minute of gameplay.

Mazisky

Magister
Anyone can tell how it runs performance wise? Warhammer 2 has huge fps drops with many units zoomed in and i have a beast of a rig. Did they improve a bit?

Sarathiour

Cipher
Anyone can tell how it runs performance wise? Warhammer 2 has huge fps drops with many units zoomed in and i have a beast of a rig. Did they improve a bit?

I have a shit pc , and it run like shit. Still, given how ugly thing are on minimum graphic and the framerate still is atrocious, i won't get my hope on.

Also, lot of bug, turn 40 or so on Achilles campaign, he's stuck on "indignant" for 28 turn since 15 turn.

i have a shit of a rig and total warhammer 2 works just fine. alright, not when there are 2k+ lizards vs 6k+ rats, but normally it works juuuust fine.
check for hidden miners or other shit.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
They've FINALLY reached peak Creative Assembly. It's what they always wanted: A pure STRONK WOMYN faction.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
What a retard, amazons are part of classic greek literature

So? That doesn't change the essence of my statement. CA are woke shitters who love nothing more than to inject stronk womyn into history. They did it with Rome 2 (with an entire DLC, no less!), Attila, they're doing it with Warhammer on the down-low.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane

So? That doesn't change the essence of my statement. CA are woke shitters who love nothing more than to inject stronk womyn into history. They did it with Rome 2 (with an entire DLC, no less!), Attila, they're doing it with Warhammer on the down-low.

Waddya mean? (I don't play much warhammer)

Black_Willow

Arcane

What are they doing with Warhammer?
Last time when they introduced new lords, all of them were male.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

What are they doing with Warhammer?
Last time when they introduced new lords, all of them were male.

Take the Vampire Coast for example, a faction with very little lore so they had the chance to come up with their own. Zombie pirates is fine and all but notice the units and lords. Lots of women among those guys.
Of all the possible Bretonnian lords they chose Repanse. Little things like that.

Sarathiour

Cipher

Giving them cavalry from the get-go seem a bit too strong.
Also, i'm not sure that they really understand how their own system work : cavalry is not used to hunt archer, but for flanking purpose, and tend to be too squishy against archer.

I guess chariot are still a retarded unit ?

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

What the fuck are you even talking about? Amazons are in the Illiad. They are a perfectly legit faction for a game based around Trojan war.

Go eat your fedora if a legit faction built around women is incomprehensible to you just for the sake of what's between their legs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom