Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War Saga: Troy - now on Steam

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
That's the problem with all these strategy games trying to pretend to be historically accurate. There weren't actually that many effective tactics in pre-gunpowder battles. Phalanx warfare in particular was rather mind-numbing from a gameplay standpoint. Even early gunpowder era was basically the same, just with pikemen instead of hoplites and musket shot instead of sling stones.

At least the soldiers in pike and shot units were drilled and expected to be able to execute fairly complex evolutions and maneuver on the battlefield. An ancient phalanx, on the other hand, was barely capable of doing anything more complex than moving straight forward, and a Medieval battle of longbowmen wasn't expected to do anything more sophisticated than stick together and chuck arrows at the enemy.

The one thing that makes games in these periods interesting, reflecting the challenges of leadership in such an era (with a good command and control system that represents friction), is also probably the last thing on CA's minds. Because fuck that grognardy shit, we need to make the combat faster and faster and add more spammable magic ability buttons to test your quick-clicking skills. Now that's the acme of strategy.

(On a side note, it's ironic how the more tactically interesting and flexible a period is, the more virulently it is attacked by memester-gamers. Take the bane of the normie gamer, the 18th century. Ugh, boring! Two armies line up and take turns shooting each other! Yeah, a century in which you see armies gain unprecedented tactical flexibility as they move from clunky processional deployment to parallel deployment, oblique order, perpendicular deployment and ultimately Napoleonic ordre mixte -- nah, that sucks because I watched The Patriot and Barry Lyndon and those men were dum-dums who fought dumbly. After all, in Total War games you can order a bunch of men to run from one place to another and to change formations in a heartbeat and they'll always do so instantly, flawlessly and without tripping over each other, so clearly drill is useless...)

Dodo1610

Arcane

Troy will be free on Epic store on Day 1! Also EPIC exclusive for one year.
I had zero interest in this, but now that it's free I will at least try it.

Last edited:

dehimos

Augur
A Total War Saga: TROY will be released on the Epic Games Store on 13 August 2020 - and will be free to keep if claimed within the first 24 hours of release

yZcf63t.png

TROY will be an Epic exclusive for one year, and will be available on Steam on 13 August 2021.

Bm05ZKj.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-troy-on-epic-games-store/

A TOTAL WAR SAGA: TROY ON EPIC GAMES STORE

Here it is: A Total War Saga: TROY is an Epic Games Store exclusive for 12 months – and will be available for free if you claim it in the first 24 hours.

That’s right – we’re giving away TROY for free, to keep, as long as you claim it in the 24 hour window!

We’re really excited about TROY, and we’re even more excited that this will give more of you the chance to play and enjoy it than might have had it otherwise. While we know that some of you won’t like the Epic Games Store exclusivity, we feel like this is a great opportunity for us in a lot of ways, and we’re hoping that you’ll take some time to hear us out and for us to answer what some of the questions we think you might have.

First of all: this is an opportunity for TROY specifically, and we have no plans for future games to be Epic exclusives. As developers we truly value our existing fans, but at the same time we want to reach new audiences and have as many people as possible experiencing the thrill of Total War for themselves. As a business that means putting Total War onto new platforms so that it can reach more players. This is part of that and in principal we’d like future Total War titles to be simultaneously available, from launch day, on as many store fronts as possible.

Right now, this is a one-time, one-year exclusive deal for TROY. We’ve always said that Saga titles allow us to experiment, and this is an experiment on a grand scale. TROY seemed like a good game to try this out with, especially as pre-orders aren’t live on Steam yet, so no one’s already put money into a store they’ll have to wait 12 extra months for it to appear on.

So now that’s out the way, here’s a little more backstory. Epic approached us and asked if TROY could be an Epic exclusive, as part of a commercial deal. That’s not to say that we immediately signed on the dotted line, or that money was the only reason that we did this (it’s not!). It was a difficult decision, and you can be assured that there were a lot of differing opinions in the studio, and a lot of discussions about it – which largely focussed on what it would mean for you, the players.

However, ultimately we considered two things. First we’re at a time when we’re looking to invest more into the ongoing development of Total War this felt like an opportunity to really move the franchise forward by getting it in front of more people. Secondly, Epic were paying for our players to have our latest release free on day one. For Total War’s 20th birthday, that felt like an opportunity too good to pass up.

As mentioned, and like others in the industry, a key reason for exploring other digital stores is that we don’t want to be limited just to Steam. We also want to diversify our business. In fact, we want to get our games onto as many stores as possible. Long term, we want to expand where players find Total War. This deal gives us a great way to try out other platforms, such as Epic – to see what works for us and what doesn’t. It allows us to get a feel for the development required to expand to other platforms, and it’s relatively risk-free for you, too, as the game’s available for free when claimed in the first 24 hours.

This opportunity allows expansive back-end infrastructure development that will allow us to expand into multiple stores. That means we can have more resources, push ourselves further, be more creative, make more Total War. We’re always looking to evolve and improve on our games and this deal gives us a lot of ways to do that – as we said, fresh perspectives, money that we’ll be putting back into the studio, new ways to expand.

You might not immediately see a big change, but we’re confident you will over time – and we guarantee there are a lot of things behind the scenes being made possible due to this, which we wouldn’t otherwise have the chance to do. Some of this is long-term – but there are short-term benefits to you, as well as us.

Making it available for free, for everyone to keep, during the first 24 hours – wouldn’t have been possible without this deal.

Finally, we’ve got just one favour to ask – however you feel about this, please keep any criticism to the studio as a whole, and don’t take it out on individual employees that you might find on various social media platforms.). We get it. It’s unexpected. But they’re not going to be able to change anything, and probably weren’t the ones who made the decision regardless.

We really think you’ll love TROY, and hey, it’s free so definitely give it a shot, redeem your 24 hour freebie and enjoy the game. If not, it’ll just be a year until it’s available on Steam. Ultimately, we think that this is good for our players, good for Creative Assembly, and therefore good for Total War.

Thank you for reading.

:what: This is some wild shit. Getting so much money from Epic they don't even have to sell the game.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
This is some wild shit. Getting so much money from Epic they don't even have to sell the game.

Not the same high profile production, but the last Deponia game released first on the cover CD of a games magazine before hitting the shelves.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
CA knows the game will be complete shit so they prefer not to risk it, get some quick bux from Epic and just gift it Day 1 for some PR (not exactly "good" PR tho, you can see they're fully aware of the EGS hate from their statement)

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
yeah these thematic games are seemingly a bad strategy, people play a lot of WHTW but I haven't seen them playing Britannia or 3 Kangdoms much. Troy was in the making so they'll release it like this.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

- I didn't know Philip Kirkorov took part in the Trojan War.
- Want to know one actual "truth behind the myth"? Mycenean period warriors wore their hair long and braided. The two WASP dumbfucks in the trailer look about as fantasy as it gets.
- There is a fully functional RTW mod for the Trojan War, complete with one-model hero units.
- The FAQ: "Gods and Favor is a new gameplay system ... strategic warfare buffs to growth and resource increases" :lol:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The market for low effort cash grabs focused experiences is smaller than they expected.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Even early gunpowder era was basically the same, just with pikemen instead of hoplites and musket shot instead of sling stones.
That's not really true. Starting at the end of the 15th century and throughout the 16th-17th centuries, pike and shot tactics were advancing at a quick pace and warfare was evolving significantly in the span of decades.

It's the advances in tactics that are difficult to portray in a videogame, because of obvious reasons - the player will always use tactics more advanced than what were used in the time period, and the AI will usually be very handicapped, especially in a realtime strategy game. The technical limitations of one era or another are fairly easy to portray, but what gives the actually interesting character of every battle is the tactics chosen by commanders, their assumptions and mistakes.

Last edited:

LizardWizard

Cipher

Still haven't/won't download or ever install Epic.

CA probably already knows this is going to bomb worse than Britannia.

Alexios

Augur
Patron
This looks pretty gay but I'll still try it because it's free and I'm a sucker for Ancient Greek shit, especially Homer. Why do they have to evoke that dumb Brad Pitt movie so much? Paris even looks like Orlando Bloom in that trailer.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
So they just had to guzzle that sweet, sweet Chinese semen.

Fuck Epic and fuck CA.

Anyway had very little interest in this title so I can happily give it a pass. Everything about it stinks, and Thrones of Brit was already a POS so its pretty funny they have given up, embraced the decline and gone full EPIC-TARD.

If Epic has anything to do with TW:WH 3 then imma out and done with this series. I have pretty much transitioned to Paradox anyway for my grand strategy. Its just the Warhammer that keeps me in TW because I am a super fan of Warhammer Fantasy.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm interested in this but looks like I'll only play it in 2021. Oh well, it's not like I played any of the other games on release.

zapotec

Liturgist

Hellen looks like a transgender, and i already imagine AI spamming trojan horses doomstacks

Neroon

Novice
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-troy-on-epic-games-store/

:what: This is some wild shit. Getting so much money from Epic they don't even have to sell the game.

I thought some time ago Steam changed their TOS, to forbid anyone from listing a game on their storefront unless it's actually distributed there on release?
Either way given that TW games always need way more than one year of patching before being playable, wont really affect me. If anything it might save some customers from jumping the gun by forcing them to wait instead.

Where are the female generals?

I’d expect them to be on the Troy side, they had a contingent of amazons led by some heroine whose name escapes me atm, and Achilles and his myrmidons end up butchering them. This assumes CA are going full mythological though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penthesilea

It's actually a rather famous red-figure vase motif. Achilles kills her, and as he removes her helmet he falls in love with her.

Anyone want to bet they'll ignore the reason she went to help out the Trojans just as hard as the wikipedia article or the BBC series?

Athos

Arcane
Let's hope at least they will not make Ajax look like the dumbass in the movie at all. The soundtrack sounds more uninspired than ever, I don't know why they dropped Jeff van Dyck.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I wonder if this turd is just a glorified demo to test out the new siege mechanics for Warhammer 3?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom