Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Total War Saga: Troy

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Hellion Arcane

Hellion
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penthesilea

It's actually a rather famous red-figure vase motif. Achilles kills her, and as he removes her helmet he falls in love with her.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jugashvili 管官的官 Patron

Jugashvili
    Codex 2013
    At least the soldiers in pike and shot units were drilled and expected to be able to execute fairly complex evolutions and maneuver on the battlefield. An ancient phalanx, on the other hand, was barely capable of doing anything more complex than moving straight forward, and a Medieval battle of longbowmen wasn't expected to do anything more sophisticated than stick together and chuck arrows at the enemy.

The one thing that makes games in these periods interesting, reflecting the challenges of leadership in such an era (with a good command and control system that represents friction), is also probably the last thing on CA's minds. Because fuck that grognardy shit, we need to make the combat faster and faster and add more spammable magic ability buttons to test your quick-clicking skills. Now that's the acme of strategy.

(On a side note, it's ironic how the more tactically interesting and flexible a period is, the more virulently it is attacked by memester-gamers. Take the bane of the normie gamer, the 18th century. Ugh, boring! Two armies line up and take turns shooting each other! Yeah, a century in which you see armies gain unprecedented tactical flexibility as they move from clunky processional deployment to parallel deployment, oblique order, perpendicular deployment and ultimately Napoleonic ordre mixte -- nah, that sucks because I watched The Patriot and Barry Lyndon and those men were dum-dums who fought dumbly. After all, in Total War games you can order a bunch of men to run from one place to another and to change formations in a heartbeat and they'll always do so instantly, flawlessly and without tripping over each other, so clearly drill is useless...)

• Brofist x 6
    • meh x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    Warhammer engine and mechanics will be milked to death now after initial success

• decline decline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Dodo1610 Magister

Dodo1610

Troy will be free on Epic store on Day 1! Also EPIC exclusive for one year.
    I had zero interest in this, but now that it's free I will at least try it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    • hopw roewur ne x 5
    • Brofist x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. dehimos Augur

dehimos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 12
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. razvedchiki Liturgist

razvedchiki

Sad Loser Sad Loser
    wheres achilles soloing the beach landing in the trailer? :argh:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-troy-on-epic-games-store/

:what: This is some wild shit. Getting so much money from Epic they don't even have to sell the game.

• decline x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • +20 Social Credit x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Not the same high profile production, but the last Deponia game released first on the cover CD of a games magazine before hitting the shelves.

^ Top  
  9. Alfgart Augur Patron

Alfgart
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    CA knows the game will be complete shit so they prefer not to risk it, get some quick bux from Epic and just gift it Day 1 for some PR (not exactly "good" PR tho, you can see they're fully aware of the EGS hate from their statement)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. a Goat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

a Goat
    yeah these thematic games are seemingly a bad strategy, people play a lot of WHTW but I haven't seen them playing Britannia or 3 Kangdoms much. Troy was in the making so they'll release it like this.

^ Top  
  11. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    - I didn't know Philip Kirkorov took part in the Trojan War.
    - Want to know one actual "truth behind the myth"? Mycenean period warriors wore their hair long and braided. The two WASP dumbfucks in the trailer look about as fantasy as it gets.
    - There is a fully functional RTW mod for the Trojan War, complete with one-model hero units.
    - The FAQ: "Gods and Favor is a new gameplay system ... strategic warfare buffs to growth and resource increases" :lol:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    The market for low effort cash grabs focused experiences is smaller than they expected.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That's not really true. Starting at the end of the 15th century and throughout the 16th-17th centuries, pike and shot tactics were advancing at a quick pace and warfare was evolving significantly in the span of decades.

It's the advances in tactics that are difficult to portray in a videogame, because of obvious reasons - the player will always use tactics more advanced than what were used in the time period, and the AI will usually be very handicapped, especially in a realtime strategy game. The technical limitations of one era or another are fairly easy to portray, but what gives the actually interesting character of every battle is the tactics chosen by commanders, their assumptions and mistakes.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. LizardWizard Arbiter

LizardWizard
    Still haven't/won't download or ever install Epic.

CA probably already knows this is going to bomb worse than Britannia.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Alexios Savant Patron

Alexios
    This looks pretty gay but I'll still try it because it's free and I'm a sucker for Ancient Greek shit, especially Homer. Why do they have to evoke that dumb Brad Pitt movie so much? Paris even looks like Orlando Bloom in that trailer.

^ Top  
  16. Agame Arcane Patron

Agame
    Insert Title Here
    So they just had to guzzle that sweet, sweet Chinese semen.

Fuck Epic and fuck CA.

Anyway had very little interest in this title so I can happily give it a pass. Everything about it stinks, and Thrones of Brit was already a POS so its pretty funny they have given up, embraced the decline and gone full EPIC-TARD.

If Epic has anything to do with TW:WH 3 then imma out and done with this series. I have pretty much transitioned to Paradox anyway for my grand strategy. Its just the Warhammer that keeps me in TW because I am a super fan of Warhammer Fantasy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2

• Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • +20 Social Credit x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    I'm interested in this but looks like I'll only play it in 2021. Oh well, it's not like I played any of the other games on release.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. zapotec Learned

zapotec
    Hellen looks like a transgender, and i already imagine AI spamming trojan horses doomstacks

• Excited! Excited! x 3
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Neroon Literate

Neroon
    I thought some time ago Steam changed their TOS, to forbid anyone from listing a game on their storefront unless it's actually distributed there on release?
    Either way given that TW games always need way more than one year of patching before being playable, wont really affect me. If anything it might save some customers from jumping the gun by forcing them to wait instead.

Anyone want to bet they'll ignore the reason she went to help out the Trojans just as hard as the wikipedia article or the BBC series?

• No No x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    Tencent doesn't even hold the majority of Epic.

^ Top  
  22. Athos Arcane

Athos
    Let's hope at least they will not make Ajax look like the dumbass in the movie at all. The soundtrack sounds more uninspired than ever, I don't know why they dropped Jeff van Dyck.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. karoliner Magister

karoliner
    Epic has turned into a welfare agency for videogames companies.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    They literally did :lol: But they seem to enjoy it so hey, everybody wins, right.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. gerey Arcane Zionist Agent

gerey
    I wonder if this turd is just a glorified demo to test out the new siege mechanics for Warhammer 3?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.