Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War Saga: Troy - now on Steam

DemonKing

Arcane
Getting so much money from Epic they don't even have to sell the game.

That's been happening for a while now elsewhere - quite a few "Netflix" movies were actually supposed to get cinematic releases but the producers crunched the numbers and decided better to sell to Netflix now for a guaranteed profit than risk a cinema release and take a loss.

For free I'll certainly give it a try...hoping its not some kind of Trojan horse.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
PC Gamer posted a video of a battle demo on facebook youtube

It looks fucking terrible. No wonder they're giving it away

EDIT: Video got deleted from facebook. Changed the link to youtube

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Yt5k.gif

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-troy-on-epic-games-store/

:what: This is some wild shit. Getting so much money from Epic they don't even have to sell the game.

I thought some time ago Steam changed their TOS, to forbid anyone from listing a game on their storefront unless it's actually distributed there on release?
Either way given that TW games always need way more than one year of patching before being playable, wont really affect me. If anything it might save some customers from jumping the gun by forcing them to wait instead.

Actually, it has been the case for quite some time already, but no one paid attention to that until devs started going Epic exclusive.
But has there ever been any repercussion from Steam against these cases anyway?

Aemar

Arcane
Hmmm the skull helmet big guy looks like grimgor
59cd5090a75f78e08f089fb8

Cosplay skill confirmed. ''Mythological'' units will consist of humans cosplaying as various creatures, a revolutionary concept never used before in videogames.

Jokes aside, I think Warhammer has brought so much to the table in terms of content and overall quality, that it will take a tremendous effort for CA to convince me to buy any of their future historical titles. Troy is nothing but the latest product in a series based on the same stale formula.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The fact that this will be released for free on EGS means that for Sega it makes no difference monetarily if we pirate this game or not. Tim Sweeny has paid for it anyway.

A horse of course

I'm shocked at how negative the Cody Bonds preview is - his previous content always seemed obscenely obsequious to CA (he even mentions at the end how he loves Thrones of Britannia after a year of patching). It sounds like the PR event they did was handled rather poorly and they managed to piss off some of the e-celebs that attended.

razvedchiki

Erudite
I'm shocked at how negative the Cody Bonds preview is - his previous content always seemed obscenely obsequious to CA (he even mentions at the end how he loves Thrones of Britannia after a year of patching). It sounds like the PR event they did was handled rather poorly and they managed to piss off some of the e-celebs that attended.

there was a saying back in Numenor, when the oak fells everyone can chop it up.
there was already some uproar in reddit, no youtuber in their right mind would antagonise the fanbase of the games they cover.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The disparity between different people working on graphic assets for this company is just too extreme. It also seems like a weird decision to keep releasing AAA and XYZ games as parts of the same series.

A horse of course

The disparity between different people working on graphic assets for this company is just too extreme. It also seems like a weird decision to keep releasing AAA and XYZ games as parts of the same series.

Search for "Warhammer" or "Creative Assembly" on Artstation. The people working on, say , ships or city models are usually bottom-tier freelancers, whilst the ones that make vanilla W1/2 Legendary Lords and Heroes are their best. You notice this kind of stuff between DLC releases as well, where there's a huge difference in quality from one Lord to the next (some look almost like modder-tier asset swaps) since their best artists are doing more important stuff.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
This is clearly their B-Team working on a title they have very little confidence or interest in.

somewhatgiggly

Scholar
Oh it's on Epic. Well, eh. I've started to slip in that regard. Gog and Steam both fuck one over anyway so what's one more dick to the body? I got three holes. Five, seven, nine if you get creative.

And it's based on one siege? No big Eastern Mediterranean/Mesopotamian map?

Give:

ane1250.jpg

Hell cut off Arabia and Egypt south of the First Cataract but still.

We need more Bronze Age games but of course they're going to fuck it all up and make it like the movies. I want to see Babylon and the Hittites and Mitanni and Assyrians and Egyptians faf about. Mycenea and Minoa were side shows, comparatively, and Troy was a sideshow of a sideshow.

Pass. EA/Sega whatever is really fapping to the idea of 'heroes fighting heroes and units are sideshow' lately. Warhammer, Three Kingdoms, now this. Boring.

Last edited:

A horse of course

Pass. EA/Sega whatever is really fapping to the idea of 'heroes fighting heroes and units are sideshow' lately. Warhammer, Three Kingdoms, now this. Boring.

Whilst the hero/single-entity combat looks shit, and in fact worse than 3K (legacy of the Warhammer engine I guess), they did seem to be trying to really exaggerate the differences between light/heavy/skirmish/chariot units. Unfortunately they seem to have thrown it all in the trash with stupid shit like heavy units being unflankable, and indeed we have no idea how well it works in practice due to the "influencer" demo only having a piss easy and idiotically hard setting.

Beowulf

Arcane
CA has already decided that thy know their audience well and combat must be awesome with awesome animations and constant player engagement clinking awesome buttons to use unit/leaders skills. Super fast RTS combat with units breaking almost instantly somewhat covers for the Battle AI inadequacy, but that's my main beef with their games and the reason why I don't buy their latest releases. Sure, you can find some mods that tweak the game to your liking, but in this case it's literally "Mods will fix this".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom