Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Total War Saga: Troy

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, Aug 9, 2019.

1. valky667 Novice

valky667
    So they try to lure in some more potential customer in their EGS beta with an all-female faction...
    I'll probably grab it for free and maybe even play it, but most likely get the full release on steam o_O Depends on how it turns out.

And why are most YT player incompetent - it's a mystery. They either cheese to win or do stupid tactics...

^ Top  
  2. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Playing a battle - even an easy one - is extremely difficulty whilst streaming/commenting. A lot of the e-celeb shills are actually pretty good players, either in multiplayer (lol), singleplayer, or both. If you're talking about the demo battle they invited them to a few weeks back, that had only two difficulty levels - Easy (so games journalists could win it) and Hard (retarded debuffs out the ass on the player, impossible without massive cheesing).

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. valky667 Novice

valky667
    The last addition was more general and more specific for SP gaming.
    While I don't play MP myself anymore - getting too old for that *cough* - these are the very exception, I fancy 2 or 3 guys with their MP league stuff. One can learn some reasonable stuff even for SP and I hate to admit, but some player are actually quite good with their unit management. Easily noticeable on how they handle cavalry usually.

For Troy I just wanted to see some gameplay but stopped the moment some random player I chose rushed his javelins into the enemies' frontline, while his backup was like a mile away and then just selected all units and moved them forwards right into the enemy. (Agamemnon campaign gameplay) Didn't know, that it only had 2 difficult levels :O
    Similar experience for Warhammer II DLC stuff, that I want to check before release - I should have learned by now, to not do that. Am a nasty TW:WII fanboi and buy the DLCs anyway.

[the hard-AI-boosts are overrated, though; getting more interesting on VH+ or it changed for Troy. But I played all TW games so far and usually VH]

Back to Troy-related thingies: While I have that 'thing' (EGS) installed and mostly because I supported Phoenix Point back then - which I haven't played yet *lol* - am not really fond of Epic. But for a short peek, who knows - and it's free.

^ Top  
  4. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    I keep wondering who this is supposed to appeal to. Its not a straight historical title and doesn't pretend to be but at the same time it's not full on fantasy or even mythical realism either. The design is pure fantasy, the army compositions are completely made up and the game doesn't even revolve around the SIEGE OF TROY. Not that it COULD, given the demands of the gameplay of Total War.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/dev-blog-july-2020/
    [​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    she cute

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    The level of interest for Troy is obvious - compare their trailers watches with, for example, Tomb kings announcement.

^ Top  
  9. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Silence incel. You can't escape my Troypoasts.

The embargo on late game stuff has apparently been lifted, so e-shills are now allowed to start posting their full playthroughs of Gayreek factions. I think Trojan campaigns can be posted starting from Wednesday

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123

• Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • meh x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    • Shit x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    More like capitalism is best thing ever. Company wants to compete with bahemoth which is steam and uses very effective method that consumers enjoy.

Last TW game i played was first Shogun and i loved that game. Later ones were meh. Since it is free i might as well bite it.

Also you get Amazon DLC for free in september if you link your Epic account with Amazon account or something

• gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    who cares

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Again I ask who they think they're targeting with this. Apparently CA themselves didn't think this through. At least 3K had a following in China. Nobody except hardcore history nerds care about Troy but those aren't the people who look kindly on literal Minotaur LARPING.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    To gain newcomers for the series, maybe? Like some starter drug :lol:

I don't know any TW:WH player who would spend serious money on it - for free? To check it out? Maybe.
    But the game offers pretty much nothing that TW doesn't already - and overall less, actually.

Except that apparently Troy has chariots that aren't complete crap like the Warhammer ones and don't require babysitting attention every second.
    Also, I dig the map style.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    It's done by theirs B team, they need to learn to make proper games, and CA got enough money on warhammer they shouldn't care if another game from B team would be free of charge. It's only on epic, and only on first day.

They really don't need money from this game to thrive, but they need decent team to make future games, that are playable.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    Been looking forward to this.

Warhammer fags can do one.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Their B-team shits out Warhammer DLC. This is their Black Sea studio, composed of steppeniggers and slavoids hammering away on keyboards manufactured before the fall of the Soviet Union.

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-08-13-a-total-war-saga-troy-review

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-total-war-saga-troy-review/

• Funny Funny x 3
    • meh meh x 3
    • decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    You know, it just occurred to me... They're offering people the game about the Trojan war totally for free, no strings attached, as a gift...

• Funny x 13
    • Makes you think... x 4
    • How about this as a button x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    Duh...it's all about getting you to install the Epic Games Store Launcher on your PC (same as the regular free game giveaway they've got going).

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123

• Funny Funny x 7
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    I played the first battle as Hector and holy shit the fighting looks awful up close. Heroes keep charging each other, missing, standing there facing the wrong way for five seconds, ponderously turning around and trying to reposition themselves, but the animations are so slow that the other hero has already moved somewhere else or started fighting mooks, and so on. The production values and attention to detail are perhaps the worst of any Total War since Empire or unpatched Rome 2.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Wyatt_Derp Cipher

Wyatt_Derp
    So they'll give away their new game for free on Epic, but they won't make a deal with gog to sell their old games for money.

Something fishy 'bout that one, boys.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • That's an Elephant That's an Elephant x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. tabacila Liturgist

tabacila
    Wow. They're simulating the chance some of these dudes would fall off while climbing. Awesomely realistic work CA.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.