Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Total War Saga: Troy

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    Those are the exact same issues Rome fucking Two had at its launch.

• Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    Played a couple of hours of a Hector campaign. The campaign UI is an absolute fucking mess. I know they randomly pissed around with it for Thrones of Britannia, but I dunno if it's a shitshow in 3K too. Whereas before you had most of the important menus in one place (bottom right or top right), they're now randomly splattered in either the bottom right or top left. Oh and the diplomacy map can't be dragged, you have to use WASD (this cancer started in Warhammer II).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    I also gave it a try.

They managed to make the battles in a Total War game uninteresting. They are a clickfest, and the lightning speed with which the morale of unit breaks makes playing larger battles a chore.
    On a plus side, the hero units don't seem overpowered and can be forced to retreat even when fighting against a single strong unit. In field battles AI is not that bad, and the speed of combat actually helps it, but it derps during sieges, as usual.

One would think, that with the emphasis on quick action and constant stimulus of the player's brain with things to click on, the action itself would be good at least. But sadly, that's not the case. Since they can't fix their problems with unit collision and decided (in Rome 2 I believe) to decouple fighters, so they are not locked in 1 to 1 combat, the fighting now looks like some mocaped stuntmen swinging not to fast all around them using hollywood idea of fighting. So there is a lot of kicking the air, elbowing the air, doing 360 no-scope with spears (thrusting the air), et caetera.
    It's so bad you can only laugh about it.

The map itself looks nice, settlements are single resource focused, so it's pretty easy to manage.
    But the strategic layer of gameplay itself is the usual Total War fare with wars being declared without logic and reason. And I believe the conflict Troy vs Achaia is scripted to happen anyway regardless of what you do. But when it happens, you still won't be able to secure a peace with that single enemy settlement of your culture that declared war on you, because devs decided countries should do that, or the player might be bored.
    There are also usual agent shenanigans, which are a mixed bag.

I was hoping that smaller scope might result in a more enjoyable game.

But yeah - banalshitboring, unistall.exe.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Dwarvophile Savant

Dwarvophile
    Damn, I thought they would build on the strenghts of 3K (good campaign gameplay, and improve the battles).

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. karoliner Magister

karoliner
    This was a really shitty birthday gift. Thank God it was free.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    Game is pretty solid, been playing non-stop since release as AgamenBROn. Aside from typical CA hate (which is deserved tbh), this is farm more interesting than last years Chinese borefest.

Decent resource mechanics. I'm actually enjoying being a baron of bronze and gold bug.
    Actual sieges again.
    Settlment progression actually makes sense for a change.
    Diplomacy isn't complete clown shoes.
    AI actually attacks the targets you designate.
    Shitloads of maps to fight on.
    Best looking TW by far.
    No gay artillery spammage.
    It's a bit shit there's no navy -Couldn't they just repurpose the triremes from Rome 2?
    Back to basics with armies being mostly spears and skirmishers.

I still don't like the Hero shit that TW has added over the years. But I can let it slide in this game considering the setting, and they don't completely melt face like mages in Warhammer. I don't think spam abilities is any more fun or interesting than clever maneuvers and formation composition. I still worry for Medieval 3 and Joan of Arc being Warcraft Paladin casting smite spells.

I'll freely admit I'm a sucker for the setting. Seeing dudes twat eachother over the head with copper axes tickles my arsehole. Hopefully CA see it as a success (7.5million claims apparently) so we get more DLC in the bronze age. There is an occasional event where they mention the Pharaoh.

• not sure if serious x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • No x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Nah it's shit. Maybe better than ToB, at best.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    Haven't played ToB.

Last one I tried was Three Kingdoms and found it absolutely hideous in every way. UI, art, gameplay, etc. Nothing captivated me despite the fact I like the setting.

Warhammer 2 vortex was a shit campaign. Mortal empires is quite impressive now that all the DLC is coming together but as a base game though it's a bit guff.

Warhammer 1 was a bit of a fuck up when it launched.

Atilla I enjoyed.

Rome 2 = aids

Shogun 2 = good.

FotS = Worthy

Napoleon = Decent

Empire = nah

Medieval 2 was good.

Rome 1 = 3d map was shit, cartoony units etc in what was once a grounded series.

Medieval and Shogun = An obsession, absolute magic.

I see this more like a Napoleon, and I freely admit I'm probably the only person who liked that installment.

It also only took them a decade to finally not make the warscape renderer look utterly hideous. Hopefully the lighting, image quality and foliage enhancements carry over to War3.

^ Top  
  10. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    I made it to turn 150ish of a Hector campaign and gave up. Since the whole campaign is oriented towards the Gayreek vs. Trojan superpowers it's just a boring fucking grind of endless stack spam. Manually fighting battles feels pointless since an individual victory is meaningless in the grand scheme of massive NATO blocs feeding a million men into the meat grinder every turn. It's the complete antithesis of the legendary heroes and deeds of the Iliad. It's the Iliad if it were written by North Korea.

Uninstalling and going back to Attila.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    I think somebody has fucked up somewhere in QA and added an extra digit onto chariot stats. They melt the front line and you can use them to chase down fleeing troops for the army replenishment bonus at the end.

I can't imagine how good Trojan chariots are with the archery to whittle the enemy down and then charge in once ammo is spent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    It's fucking glorious as Mycenae. A Churchillian quest of sending your vassal slaves to die by the thousands on the beaches of dieppe whilst your elite bronze bro troops tackle the (not so) soft underbelly of Asia Minor. Bonus points if you make the Amazons your sex toys whilst you raze everything along your path.

This is what Archaon should be in Warhammer.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Chaosdwarft Learned Patron

Chaosdwarft
    Chariots go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I've been thinking about it and by now I am convinced they are actually oversized lawnmowers.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss

Glorious Sarpedon the Magnificent crushing Achaean spear fags under his chariot arrow storms.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    It costs 50 US money.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Konjad High on potatoes Patron

Konjad
    Oh well, it was free on release day.

Worth not even $1 though. Actually, not even downloading and wasting a minute of gameplay.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Mazisky Magister

Mazisky
    Anyone can tell how it runs performance wise? Warhammer 2 has huge fps drops with many units zoomed in and i have a beast of a rig. Did they improve a bit?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sarathiour Educated

Sarathiour
    I have a shit pc , and it run like shit. Still, given how ugly thing are on minimum graphic and the framerate still is atrocious, i won't get my hope on.

Also, lot of bug, turn 40 or so on Achilles campaign, he's stuck on "indignant" for 28 turn since 15 turn.

^ Top  
  21. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    i have a shit of a rig and total warhammer 2 works just fine. alright, not when there are 2k+ lizards vs 6k+ rats, but normally it works juuuust fine.
    check for hidden miners or other shit.

^ Top  
  22. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    if anyone gives a shit

• No No x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    They've FINALLY reached peak Creative Assembly. It's what they always wanted: A pure STRONK WOMYN faction.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. zapotec Learned

zapotec
    What a retard, amazons are part of classic greek literature

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.