Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Infinitron, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Sunri Savant

Sunri
    To be honest, playing any melee oriented faction is aids

^ Top  
  2. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss
    Playing this game is aids.

• Disagree x 5
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    Legendary battle difficulty pushes you extremely hard towards stacking ranged, stuff like >15 artillery/ranged armies etc. Especially with Skaven summons.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    If there's anything I want from WH3, it's reining in ranged superiority.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah, its poorly made imo. Afaik legendary gives like -10 melee attack/defence and -10 leadership, which is crippling for melee units (especially low tier ones), while doing basically nothing to ranged units, artillery or single entities. And ranged mass is already the best strategy even on normal, as melee will always take some damage and need to be replenished, whereas ranged ammo always resets to full.

^ Top  
  6. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    Goddamn, I installed a mod that makes the AI smarter and VH is even more of a slog now because you're actually facing decently composed stacks.

^ Top  
  7. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    i like my melee lizards, and i like my themed armies :|
    once i faced an all-harpy army, as soon as my first squad impacted them my whole army got chain-routed. 99% it was a bug. and i loved it.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Sunri Savant

Sunri
    decently composed stacks? like what post some pictures

^ Top  
  9. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    And what is the smarter AI mod?

^ Top  
  10. underground nymph Savant Patron

underground nymph
    Strap Yourselves In
    Yeah, Skrolk full censer bearers with a couple of plague claw catapults is my favorite.

^ Top  
  11. Twiglard Poland Stronk Patron Sad Loser

Twiglard
    Strap Yourselves In
    ^ Top  
  12. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    Huh, I tried looking at my mod list and couldn't find the mod anymore. That's odd.

People say Lustria is a superbowl but holy shit the Borderlands are just as bad - Im playing Border Princes with the Southern Realms mod and I really have to commend the modders, the faction is on par with official DLC.
    But my god, the area with the latest changes... You got the humans, you got a bunch of orcs, the dwarves, the beastmen in the middle of it all, the vampire counts via Strygos, sometimes the TKs might show up and there's even a Woodelf faction.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. vota DC Augur

vota DC
    The occupy/loot/sack/raze reminds me a lot the old Warlords series. Also the place of High Elves, but that game wasn't about warhammer.

^ Top  
  14. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Must be due to your mods. In my experience:

TKs always suck ass because their # of armies and # of advanced troops don't scale to higher difficulties like other factions that can pump out multiple stacks of high tier units off 2 or 3 territories.
    The Vampire Count faction is very passive and usually just dies eventually.
    The Woodelves never fight anyone
    The Humans get rolled if they fight the greenskins
    Greenskins blob out of control and Grimgor confederates everyone 60% of the time.
    Dwarves snipe Grimgor out of existence early and they confederate everyone 30% of the time.
    Eshin spams infinite stacks of shit units that overwhelm everyone 10% of the time.

• feels good man feels good man x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    The "Semi-Random Start Positions" mod is really neat. It lets you switch places with a faction of your CULTURE anywhere on the map at random. Meaning as VC you can appear in the Badlands or Nehekara.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    At which battle difficulty does this game become fun? I started a campaign as Alith Anar, but ranged units are so grotesquely overpowered they delete units by looking at them. It's such a shame, there are so many types of units but the game revolves (devolves) around ranged spam and doomstacks of one type of unit. Shame. Shame.

^ Top  
  17. Olinser Savant

Olinser
    There isn't a battle difficulty that is particularly balanced against the AI, because the AI is dumb and none of the difficulties actually do anything about ranged units, they just buff attack/def and whatnot. If anything higher battle difficulties make the problem worse because you're forced to rely on the OP units and the shortcomings of the mediocre units are even more severe.

Against the AI it's reasonably well balanced at Very Hard campaign difficulty, where the enemy makes armies with reasonable mixes of units and has stacks/multiple stacks that reinforce each other. I'd suggest playing on Hard battle/Very Hard campaign, it provides at least AI that puts together reasonably good armies and the buff overcomes some of its shortcomings without becoming silly.

^ Top  
  18. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    I'd concur with VH campaign and Hard battle difficulty.

The thing with battle difficulty is that there's nothing that weakens your ranged armies really. Battle difficulty will make you deal a lot less damage in melee and take a lot more, but for ranged it just makes enemy ranged deal a bit more damage while you deal exactly the same. And sabotaging enemy ranged units so they don't shoot you tends to be pretty easy. The only effect that really matters for ranged armies shooting melee units is a fairly small leadership buff that will make melee last longer before routing.

What does matter more is campaign difficulty, since high levels there will get the AI pumping out higher tier and bigger armies quicker. What tends to wreck ranged armies is a bunch of heavily armored infantry or multiple high tier single entity monsters.

^ Top  
  19. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    why don't you play with mods instead of crying on lack of balance? i use sfo and honestly i didn't feel this disparity.

• consume product consume product x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    20 stacks make sense when particular lords buff particular units, why wouldn't you stack 20 ranged with Alith?

This is almost unrelated to the balance issues with ranged.

^ Top  
  21. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Alith is incidental, the ranged superiority makes the game very boring. It's not like you don't stack ranged with Tyrion as well.

^ Top  
  22. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    "mods will fix it" is not a legitimate response to criticism.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    But mods don't fix it. I'm not averse to fixing games with mods, but I don't think there is as mod that addresses this at all. Ranged is so overpowered that it actively makes the game unfun. Troy is much better and I'm playing it instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Tyrr Savant

Tyrr
    It's a single player game. Just don't abuse range (the AI also will not do it) and have fun.
    I have the most fun playing with themed (= non optimal) armies. Like a ghost army with VC.
    Look at the army skills, skill your lords in different ways and build their armies to fit the skills.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Even if that somehow turns out to "work" to fix my issue (spoiler alert: it doesn't), there is another problem - other Total War games do what I want and do it better. Only from the contemporary ones, Troy is excellent right out the box and Rome Remastered's new patch unlocks everything possible to mod, so they beat the bloated mess that is Warhammer any day. WH is simultaneously bursting at the seams and one-note to a fault. I really hope something is done for game 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.