Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
orE5wkH.png

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
my favourite feature in this game is neutral factions declaring war on me, and then descending into outright hostility because i had the gall to defend myself. very cool!
The diplomacy and all the connected modifiers are pants on head retarded.

34scell

Augur
Skaven/dwarf super alliance seems pretty common now. Fighting them as Repanse, with khemri and prospectors as allies.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
If I had to change the Malus campaign mechanic, I think I would make the Tzarkan Whispers rewards less random and initiate a dilemma that allows you to pick. Having Urial (-30% construction, +4 public order) or the constant soul steal dagger from turn 2 is immense. If the RNG gods are against you, your turn 2 Tzarkan Whisper could be a small amount of slaves or gold.

I think I would also change recruitment options based on possession level, similar to Arkan or Allarielle who can recruit from different rosters. For example, full possession Malus could recruit a limited number of chaos spawn, but at the expense of other units in the DE roster. Maybe that's going too far though.

my favourite feature in this game is neutral factions declaring war on me, and then descending into outright hostility because i had the gall to defend myself. very cool!
The diplomacy and all the connected modifiers are pants on head retarded.

The modifiers are designed to make sure the game is difficult, not to be realistic or fair. This isn't EU4 where you're supposed to be able to win diplomatically, all you're supposed to do is avoid losing by it.

That said three kingdoms is definitely better. Literally just having a "how much gold would it take for you to do this for me" button rather than needing to test 10 offers to figure out would improve the game immensely.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Sorry, but I never buy the "it's shit by design!" excuse. Also, in reality it makes game more irritating than difficult.

It's very clearly intended. You don't accidentally re-design the same system for every one of the half dozen total war games since Shogun 2.

Funposter

Arcane
It's very clearly intended. You don't accidentally re-design the same system for every one of the half dozen total war games since Shogun 2.

We're talking about the same company who spent a decade unable to make their AI understand how to launch a somewhat competent naval invasion, to the point that they entirely removed the feature.

Last edited:

We're talking about the same company who spent a decade unable to make their AI understand how to launch a somewhat competent naval invasion, to the point that they entirely removed the feature.

There are games with competent naval invasions?

In any case, the point isn't that they keep the same system but that they literally re-designed the system multiple times and all of them feature diplomacy designed to get you dogpiled.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
There are games with competent naval invasions?
Yes. CIV IV with all expansions had powerful naval invasion. I seen AI decided to steam roll my capital at sea, and only quickly making new longbowmen saved my capital from knights. If there was no possibility to buy new unit, my capital would be lost. And I thought I was paranoid when I kept 2 longbowmen at capital.

Then later on other continent AI carpet nuked enemy cities, and took them by advanced tanks in few turns.

Naval invasion is trivial. University educated use graph algorithm. Self-educated and developers with experience would use something similar to player is using.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
That's not what I heard. I heard they didn't wanted to invent and make 30 ship models, and opted for cheaper decision to simply keep naval combat out. I played with some designs and found decent way how to NOT make any models (perhaps 2D drawing at most) but how to make ship combat critical and engaging. (And wasting horrible amount of money of each sea dependant player.)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Also Malus starts off in a real shithole in ME:

Clipboard02.png

Can't settle desert so Lahmia is out.
Okay, Jungle is fine but only 2 provinces.
Mountains are barely reachable.

Olinser

Savant
So the AI changes seem to help some nations and make others go full retard.

Fought a Rogue Army that had conquered a couple cities. Unfortunately forgot to grab a screenshot.

But he had a Lord and..... 14 Forest Dragons.

Which was actually hilariously bad because their defense is so low. Repanse and my legendary Paladin soloed 5 each.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The blue tide is no joke. My VH/VH Malus mortal empires campaign is 80% killing dawi doom stacks. In my last turn alone, 5 stacks appeared and the full possession button is still on cooldown.

That's not what I heard. I heard they didn't wanted to invent and make 30 ship models, and opted for cheaper decision to simply keep naval combat out. I played with some designs and found decent way how to NOT make any models (perhaps 2D drawing at most) but how to make ship combat critical and engaging. (And wasting horrible amount of money of each sea dependant player.)

I heard that it was because Games Workshop thought that Naval combat in TWWH2 would interfere with Battlefleet Gothic sales and nixed the idea.

Did anybody try that tabletop unit cap mod? I’m not sure whether it works for rebel armies as well.

I did try it. It honestly didn't do that much for me specifically since I apparently make what tabletop rules consider to be well-balanced armies. I'm not sure it does much for the AI either since at least in my experience the AI in recent patches seems pretty good about unit balance. The only instance I've seen of AI making stupid armies is when the lizardmen do their rite that summons a dozen dinos and I doubt the mod handles that anyway.

As for the rebel armies, you want "Cataph's Less Rebel Rebels" which is made by the same guy and restricts rebel unit types to non-elite units.

As far as the tabletop unit balance mod itself, I'm kind of ehh on the whole deal. Pros: It generally makes units more well-defined with stronger strengths and weaker weaknesses. This is pretty good for your standard infantry unit types Cons: it makes lords absolute shit in combat (it was already usually a bad move to invest in personal upgrades for the lord rather than army upgrades, now its even more useless), and it seems to have decided that all explosive damage should be armor piercing (e.g. mortars and grenade outriders for empire, supposed to annihilate unarmored units but be at least semi-weak against armor, now fully annihilate armor too).

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Did anybody try that tabletop unit cap mod? I’m not sure whether it works for rebel armies as well.

I did try it. It honestly didn't do that much for me specifically since I apparently make what tabletop rules consider to be well-balanced armies. I'm not sure it does much for the AI either since at least in my experience the AI in recent patches seems pretty good about unit balance. The only instance I've seen of AI making stupid armies is when the lizardmen do their rite that summons a dozen dinos and I doubt the mod handles that anyway.

As for the rebel armies, you want "Cataph's Less Rebel Rebels" which is made by the same guy and restricts rebel unit types to non-elite units.

As far as the tabletop unit balance mod itself, I'm kind of ehh on the whole deal. Pros: It generally makes units more well-defined with stronger strengths and weaker weaknesses. This is pretty good for your standard infantry unit types Cons: it makes lords absolute shit in combat (it was already usually a bad move to invest in personal upgrades for the lord rather than army upgrades, now its even more useless), and it seems to have decided that all explosive damage should be armor piercing (e.g. mortars and grenade outriders for empire, supposed to annihilate unarmored units but be at least semi-weak against armor, now fully annihilate armor too).
Hmm not sure we’re talking about the same mod, mine just introduces unit categories and limits for them per army.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom