Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This yin/yang mechanic is either going to not matter at all and ranged spam would still be king, or it would end up mattering too much and units exempt from it would be spammed.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Their stated aim for the TW3 battle meta is to increase the importance of melee, so I'm definitely expecting a combination of things to make that possible.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Their stated aim for the TW3 battle meta is to increase the importance of melee, so I'm definitely expecting a combination of things to make that possible.
considering there's have Khorne that's nearly fully melee (Nurgle and Slaneesh aren't much better too), they kinda had to make melee viable

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm more interested in how they are going to handle the old races and factions. There are still LLs and races that need massive reworks and some have fallen far behind even with reworks (dwarfs). Not only that, but all of them need to move away from ranged-heavy or single-entity spam armies.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So, they would release crap, and add Denuvo DRM on top of that, and people would pay 59.99€ for that...

Oh dear, CA degraded.

Mitleser2020

Scholar

Especially non-single entity melee.

Are there any changes or improvements made to the difficulty system?

Oscar: From a battle perspective, we’ve reduced the melee bonuses that the AI gets on Hard and Very Hard, as they were very punishing for melee units.

Could you go into more detail about the ‘wound’ mechanic for single entities?

So, the idea with wounds is that single entities lose killing power as they get wounded, making damage dealt to them before they are dead more significant. Wounded single entities lose weapon strength and movement speed, making them easier to deal with.
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-3-discord-qa-archive/

And speaking of melee, the Great Orthodoxy is more melee/offensive-focused than the other Kislevite main faction.

7hreyevfiw681.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Oscar: From a battle perspective, we’ve reduced the melee bonuses that the AI gets on Hard and Very Hard, as they were very punishing for melee units.

So, the idea with wounds is that single entities lose killing power as they get wounded, making damage dealt to them before they are dead more significant. Wounded single entities lose weapon strength and movement speed, making them easier to deal with.
In theory this is nice. But ranged spam armies mostly use single entities as meat shields anyway. And ranged spam is the dominant strategy on all difficulties, not just the higher ones. This will just make ranged slightly less dominant, pretty sure it will still be dominant.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Troy doesn't have a problem with ranged spam. On Mythos mode, just a few harpies will wreck your backline, so I don't understand why that is not the case in WH as well. Ranged units in WH have both disgusting damage and are somehow super tanky on top of that.

GreyViper

Prophet
Its been in CA power to balance the mele vs ranged in TWH series from start, but instead what do they do nerf the cavalry. :D Beating a dead horse indeed. Btw, as has been pointed out, this has not been an issue in other games where mele vs ranged have been managed to work without issue.
What I suspect is the current reason is this, sure they could try to balance it now, but it has now more of a chance to backfire and they could have a domino effect on their hand where other things would fail due to ranged nerf. Since the lifecycle of TWH1 ended and TWH2 is ending they just want to forget the previous two and concentrate on the new one. I mean they have to be aware of this since LegendOfTotalWar has been rubbing it under CA nose for how many years now?

Mind you its a good game, but could really use some new mechanics. By the way I always wondered did CA poach some devs from Neocore who did King Arthur Roleplaying game 1-2? I mean these games came out before and noticed quite a lot of similarities in TWH1. Also who has not played King Arthur Role Playing game 2, go play the Roman campaign, its good.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

And speaking of melee, the Great Orthodoxy is more melee/offensive-focused than the other Kislevite main faction.

7hreyevfiw681.png
+5 melee attack for horse archers
:nocountryforshitposters:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

7hreyevfiw681.png
That's quite important. When they run out of arrows, or enemy archers are MUCH better at range and outranges them, melee is theirs only rescue.

Mitleser2020

Scholar

7hreyevfiw681.png

They are supposed to be used in melee as they are decent melee combatants (for a missile unit).

Consul

Arbiter

It looks like they've learned a thing or two from Troy and the campaign map looks much better now. Some of it looks like Warcraft 3 Reforged for some reason, especially the trees.

That map looks absolutely awful. The cartoony art style doesn't fit the setting at all. The more I hear about the changes they have made in WH3 the more I dislike it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It doesn't look cartoony, it looks like а very high quality physical 3D map. Very crisp and uncluttered. Some buildings are dubious, but all in all a much more impressive achievement than the horrendous WH2 map. The Troy influence is loud and proud. I'm actually looking forward to seeing the whole map (i.e. with the addition of the WH1 and 2 portions) and whether they've fixed the lighting issues and textures.

Consul

Arbiter
Look at the trees, rivers and bridges for example, not to mention the bright, high contrast colors. This is something you would see in WC3 Reforged, not in a TW game. I might be misremembering things, but the map seems to also look less detailed than the one found in WH2. What exactly was so bad about the WH2 map? I remember being quite impressed by it, but maybe that's because WH2 was the first TW game of the newest that I played. I remember liking it more than the map of Troy, which I found to be rather bland in comparison.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Look at the terrible vegetation textures -
They honestly look like they came from the PS2 era. Outside of that, the terrain textures are muddy and look like they are supposed to be hills/uneven bumps but are stretched over a flat surface. The lack of contrasting shadows contribute to the lighting feeling strange, as if missing. Now look at Troy's map -
The roads are obviously highlighted as if dug into the map; the vegetation looks good even in the distance, there are no patches of trees that don't render; the shadows are deep and it's obvious where the sun is; the water looks amazing; there isn't this weird gray filter on top of everything that mutes the colors, etc.

A horse of course

Are those goddamn pine trees (not even armand pines, come on that's lazy) in Cathay?

Literally unplayable.

Battle map trees are a pain in the arse in Warhammer games. Even with the auto-hide option enabled, you have to zoom too close for it to start working. I actually avoided battles in places like the Lustrian jungles purely because of how fucking annoying this is.

Aemar

Arcane
https://www.pcgamesn.com/total-war-warhammer-3/story

“We’re killing a god” – how Total Warhammer 3 is going all-in on story

[...]

PCGamesN: As manifestations of emotion, the Chaos Gods are unconventional villains (perhaps it may not even be fair to call them villains at all). Can you set out exactly what they want?

Andy Hall: They’re more like forces of nature. The question then becomes – and it’s one that’s bothered scholars at Altdorf’s university for generations – does Khorne exist because there is rage in the world, or did he put it there when he came to be? Perhaps it’s both. In any case, I think ‘villains’ is the wrong term for the gods themselves, but their servants and scions undoubtedly play an antagonistic role both in the IP in general, and they certainly want to do destructive things in Warhammer III’s main story. Yet, are the forces of Chaos the main villain in the game? You’ll have to wait and see.

[...]

The Warhammer Fantasy world was destroyed in the End Times. We know you’re not doing that, but Warhammer III looks similarly epic and stars the same players. Can you outline a few concrete ways in which your story differs?

Well, the End Times was the grand design of the Chaos Gods and their direct scions. For once they stopped playing the Great Game against each other and focussed their servants on all-out annihilation. So the major difference with our story is that another [entity] has brought about the unfolding events. They are the real villain of this piece. Now, will the Dark Powers sit idly by? No! Each sees this as an opportunity to further their own power plays in the Great Game. We’re also killing a god, which isn’t an everyday occurrence, even in the Warhammer world. That was an interesting pitch to take to Games Workshop, who have been great in allowing us to realise these narrative ambitions.

[...]

A horse of course

I assume Nagash and a couple of other VC characters (Neferata) will be added at some point, probably for the final Mortal Empires campaign.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Since it's not clear what overarching story is supposed to be told in these games, it's hard to guess what they are hinting at. It's probably Nagash, but it could be a lot of other things. Also, Miao Ying's effects are grotesque in the context of the current meta -

38vkgwa9qmk7.png

The black bar is probably negative relations with Be'lakor, but that's just an educated guess.

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
Nagash for sure.
There were a couple of hints in WH2 about it. Like when you win the TK campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom