Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Also, where the fuck are the naval battles?
What naval battles?

Last time I heard something from THEM was creating ship models would take too much time, and that would be too costly for them.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Nurglechads, rise!
I am more into change and mutations rather than rot and stagnation. Part of me hopes that WH3 will take inspiration from Age of Reckoning mmo for Tzeentch aesthetic.
ted-beargeon-chaos-zealot-armor-t5.jpg
ted-beargeon-marauder-02.jpg
But who am i kidding? I know that their cultists look will more likely be inspired by Age of Sigmar.

Last edited:

A horse of course

Also, where the fuck are the naval battles?
What naval battles?

Last time I heard something from THEM was creating ship models would take too much time, and that would be too costly for them.

They change their excuses for dropping naval battles all the thyme. /ourguy/ did a quick video on it a year or so back

They're just lazy. Unlike regular battles, which are, at their core, essentially unchanged from Shogun 1, they never managed to find a formula for naval battles that the majority of players were satisfied with. Rather than put work into trying to make them work again, they just cut them.

On the other hand, by cutting naval battles, they freed up resources that let them improHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Mazisky

Magister
How they do naval battles with Hydras and giant monsters that are half size of the ship alone?

I ask there since this forum seems to be full of expert designers and programmers

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
How they do naval battles with Hydras and giant monsters that are half size of the ship alone?

I ask there since this forum seems to be full of expert designers and programmers
I developed stuff ages ago, when I wanted to show WH II naval combat can be done well without ANY ship models. It was based on point to point simulation of major ports in Warhammer fantasy, and normal ship travel lanes.

Parabalus

Arcane
Why do people even want naval combat?

Even if you pull the entire Man O' War unit list (very optimistic) it's still much smaller than each race's ground units. And what do you do about flyers?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Even if you pull the entire Man O' War unit list (very optimistic) it's still much smaller than each race's ground units. And what do you do about flyers?
Naval combat is integral for fights between Old world, and Lustria. In addition, Ulthan is MOSTLY protected by navy. Thus creating WH2, game that was originally about DE, HE, Lizardmen, and Skaven, and not including integral part of game, changed stuff A LOT.
In addition, a naval transport in theory should move armies faster on sea, than they can move on land using horse trains. (Or are they using ox driven transports?) Still ships can transport high volume of cargo, and as such are necessity for all these conquistador expeditions from Empire, and Brettonia.

Parabalus

Arcane

Naval combat is integral for fights between Old world, and Lustria. In addition, Ulthan is MOSTLY protected by navy. Thus creating WH2, game that was originally about DE, HE, Lizardmen, and Skaven, and not including integral part of game, changed stuff A LOT.

Integral in the lore yes, but how does that translate to compelling gameplay?
E.g. if as HE most of your battles really were navy ones it'd get old quick.

In addition, a naval transport in theory should move armies faster on sea, than they can move on land using horse trains. (Or are they using ox driven transports?) Still ships can transport high volume of cargo, and as such are necessity for all these conquistador expeditions from Empire, and Brettonia.

This is partly there, since movement rates on sea are faster than land (barring bonus stacking).

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Some guy on the retraded TW reddit, just after the gameplay trailer leak : "how are we supposed to get naval combat with so many leaks".

I think we should forget about naval combat. It was almost fun in Empires and Napoleon, almost.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
All I've seen here only strengthens my opinion that WH1 was the only good WH1 and I shouldn't even have given in and bought WH2 at a discount.

Parabalus

Arcane
All I've seen here only strengthens my opinion that WH1 was the only good WH1 and I shouldn't even have given in and bought WH2 at a discount.

Why?

As someone who played WH2 before WH1 the latter is unplayable. The improvements are immense.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I really wouldn't want to play any naval battles with half-assed mechanics. I already use the mod that removes walls from all settlements besides racial capitals since siege battles are shit.
From WH3 I expect more factions and more faction mechanics, nothing more really. Better sieges, better diplomacy and reworks to factions that are plain bad or boring would be welcome, but I don't expect to see it.

Mazisky

Magister
I really wouldn't want to play any naval battles with half-assed mechanics. I already use the mod that removes walls from all settlements besides racial capitals since siege battles are shit.
From WH3 I expect more factions and more faction mechanics, nothing more really. Better sieges, better diplomacy and reworks to factions that are plain bad or boring would be welcome, but I don't expect to see it.

They already confirmed better siege and I guess better diplomacy will be there aswell since they said they have ported many stuff from 3Kingdoms. (imagine if it turns out the only things they will port from 3Kingdoms will be a couple of tree models) :negative:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why?

As someone who played WH2 before WH1 the latter is unplayable. The improvements are immense.
I have something like 250 hours in WH1 and I still haven't played a full campaign with every faction. The campaign map lighting and graphics look better in WH1. A smaller map is easier for the AI to work with.

wahrk

Learned
Why?

I have something like 250 hours in WH1 and I still haven't played a full campaign with every faction. The campaign map lighting and graphics look better in WH1. A smaller map is easier for the AI to work with.

You’re basically buying more factions and QOL updates. If you want a smaller map you can just play Vortex and ignore the objectives. Either way it’s more of the Warhammer world and it has some of the best factions they’ve released yet. Yeah the lighting is worse in the campaign map but that’s a silly reason to not play it, it’s otherwise an improved version of the first game.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ridiculous thing about sieges is that as an attacker it is much easier for me to overcome sieged armies than facing them in the open. Because when AI cannot maneuver utilizing all types of units he’s helpless. You can additionally employ some nasty cheese and boy does it become easy.

Oh and probably it is also because sieged AI is completely passive and you basically have all the initiative you need. I guess this is what they tried to solve with current sieges mechanic, but somehow they’ve managed to introduce safe pockets for an attacker to be able to properly plan and prepare thus rendering this mechanic pretty useless.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom