Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Narax

Educated
I guarantee you CA will make Cathay into a benevolent noble faction as not to offend their chinese overlords.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I really struggle to understand how could anybody like fantasy warhammer, it's so banal and uninteresting. These are the fantasy chinese, these are the fantasy russians, these are the fantasy HRE, fantasy french, this character is fantasy Jeanne d’Arc, the dark elf leader is called the Witch King and so forth. And you put the total morons at CA on top of it to vomit their retardation all over it.

Because "fantasy french" are more compelling than fantasy capeshit.

Real french are more compelling.

tabacila

Augur
Cathay really, really comes across as a Skaven-but-human faction. Ranged emphasis, with some monsters/constructs and tarpit infantry.

I do like the armour designs on the melee infantry, though.
They even have fucking jezzails wannabes.
Lower left corner.
total-war-warhammer-3-grand-cathay-battle.jpg
If they get jezzails I will be mightily pissed if the Empire won't get Hochland long rifles or something...
The Ming style armor looks pretty cool though.

I guarantee you CA will make Cathay into a benevolent noble faction as not to offend their chinese overlords.
This was one of my chief concerns when I saw they were actually doing fantasy China, but to be fair a lot of the awfulness of the other human (or generally 'good') factions doesn't really translate from GW's lore to the TW games.
With the exception of the Witch Hunter hero and the flagellants you don't really get the impression that The Empire is a bunch of proto puritans and rabid religious zealots. Sure they simp Sigmar, but I mean who wouldn't?
The Brettonians come off as stuck 300-400 years in the past, but there aren't many clues about the abject state of most of their population, with the exception of a couple of description texts and the awful stats of their peasants units.

So Cathay as a harmonious insect empire doesn't feel that out of place in TW WH, but I guess we'll see how much chink cock CA will suck to get a good mark from the censors.
They will also not be unified into a single faction for gameplay reasons and the info they released about their LLs seems to imply that there's a more that just a little rivalry between the two dragon siblings. Of course you can bet your ass if one of them is secretly a Tzeentch worshipper it will be the dude, while the chick dragon is all in for purity.

The real thing to watch is how they will be portrayed in GW's lore, but I have a feeling they too will somewhat try to bend over backwards to better sell their plastic crap in the middle kingdom.
Actually if GW starts becoming popular in China it will be funny to see them melt down when cheap Chinese knock off of their precious IP start appearing and the communists won't give a fuck about IP law.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, is the WH3 campaign just going to be Cathay vs Ogre Kingdoms vs the 4 chaos factions?

tabacila

Augur
It will probably be Kislev in the west, Cathay in the east, ogres in the middle and Chaos in the North. But who cares? You'll probably play it a couple of times, like the Vortex, then move on to the big combined map.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Ah, right, I forgot about Kislev. I actually like the smaller scale campaigns too, but the ritual thing wasn't the best thing in the world maybe, especially since they forced a lot of LLs to participate in that when it doesn't really make much sense for them to do so (like Alith Anar).

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
There's no way in hell the Ogre Kingdoms are more significant than the Chaos Dwarfs.

With Ogre mercenaries in TWWH2, my guess would be Chaos Dwarfs as a race pack, Ogre Kingdoms are the pre-order bonus that also plays in the Mortal Empires.

So, the TWWH3 map probably looks a little something like Chaos in the north, Kislev in the west, Cathay in the East, Chaos Dwarfs in the centre with a bunch of Greenskins and the Ogre Kingdoms concentrated near Cathay but with individual settlements peppered throughout the region.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cathay really, really comes across as a Skaven-but-human faction. Ranged emphasis, with some monsters/constructs and tarpit infantry.

I do like the armour designs on the melee infantry, though.

though unlike skaven, they don't seem to have light, mobile skirmish infantry

tabacila

Augur
I had hoped for something like the Southern Realms/Dogs of War to be the preorder bonus, but yeah the introduction of the ogre mercenaries is pretty much confirmation for the Ogre Kingdoms.
Not sure about them being playable in WH2. They have said this pre-order bonus will not be like Norsca, i.e. playable in the previous game, but with this 4-6 months delay who knows? After the Silence and the Fury in July they said no more content for WH2, but that only made sense with a WH3 release in November. They would be stupid to not have something freshly released before the holidays, so I'm pretty sure they'll try to have something WH related ready before Christmas.

Would it be weird for a race like the OK, with had an official 8th edition army book, to get the pre-order treatment (which is a kind of curse judging by WoC and Norsca) while a race without an official book, like the CD, gets the race pack treatment (which was pretty solid looking at TK)?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's based on old age China several centuries ago, which buried dissenters alive.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really struggle to understand how could anybody like fantasy warhammer, it's so banal and uninteresting. These are the fantasy chinese, these are the fantasy russians, these are the fantasy HRE, fantasy french, this character is fantasy Jeanne d’Arc, the dark elf leader is called the Witch King and so forth. And you put the total morons at CA on top of it to vomit their retardation all over it.
That may have been one of the reasons why Chaos/Orcs were much more popular then Empire/Dwarves when Warhammer Online was a thing.

Because "fantasy french" are more compelling than fantasy capeshit.

Real french are more compelling.

Not necessarily. Matching them up against dragons and all can be more interesting than against English longbowmen (especially since most medieval games focus on the HYW battles were the French get slaughtered).

Also, as soon as you deviate from the historical course, you are creating an alternate fantasy version of France.
I am not sure France taking over the world in MEdieval Total War makes any more sense than Warhammer Total War.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That may have been one of the reasons why Chaos/Orcs were much more popular then Empire/Dwarves when Warhammer Online was a thing.
You can't use that game as a barometer because it was so badly designed in light of only 2 factions (in order to ape WoW) that everyone rolled whichever faction was dominant on their server.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can't use that game as a barometer because it was so badly designed in light of only 2 factions (in order to ape WoW) that everyone rolled whichever faction was dominant on their server.
It gave an edge in mass PvP, but it also resulted in longer wait queues!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Not only did it give an edge, it basically broke the game for the other faction and made it unplayable.

kris

Arcane
Flamers. Fucking flamers. I goddamn hate warpfire and irondrakes shit and now I have to deal with flamers as well. Shit.

Warpfire are the easiest. They are easy to use in beating the AI and they are easy to destroy if the AI use them. Their range is short and they are easily killed by any other range unit. When you take them out: GG.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, there is 0 anime in this.
Except Miao Ying jumping from a high rooftop in a lighting spectacle in the most anime way possible.
Right... "jump in a most anime way, with lightning"...

I recommend taking scuba gear with you, because grasping at straws will only get you so far when you're underwater.

You could also just admit that anything asian-looking is apparently automatically anime to you.
I don't really care, honestly :lol:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom