Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

mondblut

Arcane
Why are they making the focus on a Chinese faction when they have just released three kingdoms?

Reusable assets.

Will there be Troy style faction too?

CA offices, some time ago:

- Hey Joe, does this stupid warhammer thing have a greek faction by any chance?
- Nah, Matt. Don't think so.
- Damn, this sucks. Okay, are you up for a blowjob?

mondblut

Arcane
Long story short, the plans they had for Western Taiwanese and other Asian markets fell through. Rumors go that they were ordered to sell all the content in one game and not milk them as DLCs like they do in west.

Wow, based bugmen.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Blog post about dragon waifu in which we find that their lead writer (former GW writer) thinks Settra is a villain just like Archaon.
SETRA NEVER SERVE.

Well considering he's killing people, he's kinda villain.

Vatnik Wumao
Well considering he's killing people, he's kinda villain.
At least he doesn't have the dumbest fall to evil possible, as is the case with Archaon.

Made the mistake of reading the book about his origins and lol. That scene with the splinter is the epitome of bad writing.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I thought he was kickass who become champion on purpose. Someone wrote bad fanfic.

In fact in WH chaos god basically behave similarly as players of WH fantasy near table.
Awwwww. That's amazing. Great carnage.
Aww he died.

But we can't put him back on the table, that would be cheating.
I turn, you'd put him back, I turn again and pretend I didn't see anything.

He was awesome he caused carnage. (Doesn't matter if his team was wining or losing.)

You could see something similar in one of last games of mountain gaming (or whatever they are called nowadays). When phoenix was in danger of croaking on dangerous terrain in forest. His opponent was grinding his teeth and wanted the phoenix to pass the test to have some fun.
Then phoenix was murdering things left and right, and his opponent was shooting at him from goblin catapults which were exploding left and right from goblin mishaps. In the end there were basically two units on the table.

While Chaos gods can do whatever they want on the battlefield, but if they'd abuse it too much, it will not be a fun. So they try to keep it interesting.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Why are they making the focus on a Chinese faction when they have just released three kingdoms?

Will there be Troy style faction too?
They need to get third game in the series to force users to pay again, and they ran out of source material. Basically only Ogre kingdoms, and Khatay are left. (Or they can do PROPER naval battles, and do some small factions on islands.) Khatay is basically much later era China, combined with China that buried scholars alive en-masee. Mysterious closed country full of Chinese that don't wanna to have any contacts with rest of the world.

Basically, CA would put low effort into the game, and Denuvo would allow them to earn money. Win Win for CA and Denuvo, massive loss for players.

Vatnik Wumao
I thought he was kickass who become champion on purpose. Someone wrote bad fanfic.
Lolno. Official GW canon as per the book Archaon: Everchosen by Rob Sanders.

Besides a lot of Mary Sue stuff and Chaos guiding him on the path of damnation, this event in particular which was meant to physically corrupt him was dumb as fuck:
In Hochland, Diederick rescued a young novice nun, Giselle, from a band of Beastmen. In combat with the monsters' champion, Diederick clashed Terminus against the other's weapon, breaking off a shard of warpstone that flew into his faceplate and pierced his eye.
And after that happened, the shard couldn't be removed.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They need to get third game in the series to force users to pay again, and they ran out of source material. Basically only Ogre kingdoms, and Khatay are left. (Or they can do PROPER naval battles, and do some small factions on islands.) Khatay is basically much later era China, combined with China that buried scholars alive en-masee. Mysterious closed country full of Chinese that don't wanna to have any contacts with rest of the world.

Basically, CA would put low effort into the game, and Denuvo would allow them to earn money. Win Win for CA and Denuvo, massive loss for players.
They should be concentrating on fixing the game when it comes to the third entry, and not milking us for cash. There are so many things to tweak and fix it's unbelievable. Graphics, lighting, half the LLs and their campaigns, victory conditions in ME, archer dominance, performance (incl. turn times), sieges, and much more. Technically, there are still at least 1 LL per faction they haven't added, so they still have lord packs to shit out.

Examples:

Beastmen - Ghorros Warhoof
Bretonnia - Bohemond Beastslayer
Dark Elves - Tullaris Dreadbringer
Dwarfs - Grimm Burloksson
Empire - Lady Elspeth von Draken
High Elves - Caradryan of the Flame
Lizardmen - Chakax the Eternal Warden
Greenskins - Gorbad Ironclaw
Skaven - Skreech Verminking
Tomb Kings - Apophas the Scarab Lord
Vampire Counts - Konrad von Carstein
Norsca/Warriors of Chaos - Valkia the Bloody
Wood Elves - Araloth

Sooo, yeah, they aren't done squeezing us yet.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Are his novels good?

R. L. Sanders, Sanderson... There is horde of authors called this way.

Vatnik Wumao
Are his novels good?
Haven't read any of his 40k ones, so I can't tell. The Archaon ones (or at least the first one which I did finish) are definitely not though. Dunno how much of it is due to him directly providing a poor narrative line or due to GW dictating various narrative points that he had to stick by.

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
Cat hay army mechanics leaked.
DxMhgEm.jpg

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Being able to combine 2 LLs into a single entity with different bonuses might be interesting btw. Like the Sisters of Twilight.

tabacila

Augur
Another useless 'lore' blog post, about the warpstone snorting brother dragon this time.
WHO IS ZHAO MING, THE IRON DRAGON?
TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER III
Ben Barrett
September 28 2021

Welcome back to TotalWar.com and our introduction series for the legendary lords of Total War: WARHAMMER III. Today is the turn of Zhao Ming, the Iron Dragon, and ruler of the Grand Cathayan Western Provinces. He joins his sister, Miao Ying, as our two launch legendary lords for Grand Cathay and the world’s introduction to the people of the eastern Empire. Once again, Andy Hall will take us through the basics and subtleties of the Iron Dragon.

We’ve already been introduced to the Storm Dragon to the North – what makes the Iron Dragon in the West different?

Location is the most obvious. While Miao Ying defends the Great Bastion towards the roof of the world, Zhao Ming rules the Western Provinces and the mighty city of Shang-Yang – seen as a gateway to the West (or East, if you’re coming the other way). Many trade caravans leave Cathay from Zhao’s domain, and should they be successful he will reap the wealth and prestige. Which is particularly important to the Iron Dragon as he is not as beloved by his father as his older sister, although rumours say the Moon Empress has a soft spot for her son.

gwcr-zhao_ming-576x1024.jpg

While Miao Ying is facing off against the hordes of Chaos in the Wastes, the Iron Dragon’s neighbours are a varied collection of Greenskins, Ogres, Skaven, and more besides – how does he deal with these disparate factions?

Well, he starts off his campaign in a bit of a pickle to be honest. The Skaven in the desert are acting up and there are even rumours of rebellion – could the two be connected? Even so, he is a Dragon, a force to be reckoned with, and commands an impressive following. The cabals of Metal Wizards are welcomed within his realm, much to the irritation of the Jade Dragon who sees the encouragement of sorcerous organizations outside of the Celestial Court as dangerous to the empire. These sorcerers help the Iron Dragon in his experiments, and many magical weapons and armour are forged in the Dragon’s cities.

Talking of which, can you tell us more about Shang-Yang?

It is the largest city in the west, a bustling metropolis full of foreign traders despite its location in the middle of the Warpstone Desert. At times it has come under threat from the armies of Hobgoblins or Ogre raiders from the Mountains of Mourn but has fended them off due to the Iron Dragon’s formidable presence. Over the last few centuries Shang-Yang has become the end of a thread connecting Cathay to the Old World, and Estalians, Tileans and Empire travellers and ambassadors all have permanent quarters within the city. It also draws the aforementioned cabals, who use the city as a base for their expeditions into the desert – some never return. Others come back loaded with exotic ores that end up in the forges, with the Iron Dragon as enthusiastic as any of the other Alchemists to begin experimenting.

So, the Iron Dragon is also an accomplished alchemist and blacksmith?

Very much so, he is as skilled an artisan as those drawn to him since he has had a Dragon’s lifespan to perfect such expertise and research the mysteries of arcane metallurgy. The strange elements found in the Warpstone Desert have only deepened Zhao’s fascination and understanding of alchemy but has also led to some unfair accusations from his siblings…

CR-Grand-Cathay_Iron-Dragon_FINAL-1024x576.png

Yes, what are these rumours?

His brothers and sisters perpetuate that his centuries in the Warpstone Desert have affected his mind. But this is pure slander, I say! They are Dragons, cold-blooded and detached from the mortals they rule, where the Iron Dragon will share a jape, or even a drink with his followers. Such mortal behaviour inspires loyalty within his legions but makes him stand apart from his kin. They don’t understand it and so smear him… although, maybe we can’t fully rule out the effects of living so close to the Great Maw.

In any case, even if his siblings look upon him with suspicion, the Moon Empress is very fond of her son and will shield him from ire when the family assemblies become less than harmonic!

Thanks, Andy.

Which Grand Cathayan Legendary Lord takes your fancy? Would you rather defend the north or the west, and what will you do about your brothers and sisters? The choices will be yours with WARHAMMER III in early 2022.

Well maybe not so useless. First time I've ever seen them directly mention Tilea, Estalia and even Hobgoblins. I'd trade all these dragon demigods and their fantasy China for some properly done Southern Realms factions.

Sunri

Liturgist
And i hate how Ca is turning Warhammer into high fantasy like aos every nigga have some magic ice Arrows or other magical shit i feel like wh 1 was more grounded also i must admit that they know how to make money and pander to literary every one they got old wh fans with first wh with second one they started making some retarded shit like this fat pirate bitch and they adding stronk chink women in third i dont mind the female lords but i cant stand chinese atestetics and lore at last fuck them for making p2w dlcs.

tabacila

Augur
And i hate how Ca is turning Warhammer into high fantasy like aos every nigga have some magic ice Arrows or other magical shit i feel like wh 1 was more grounded also i must admit that they know how to make money and pander to literary every one they got old wh fans with first wh with second one they started making some retarded shit like this fat pirate bitch and they adding stronk chink women in third i dont mind the female lords but i cant stand chinese atestetics and lore at last fuck them for making p2w dlcs.
Honestly they only thing that really pisses me off about Kislev's roster is the war bear mount for every type of character, and their ONLY artillery being a single gun war bear chariot. I would have expected at least one other more 'common' artillery unit and have little Grom be a unique unit, like Queen Bess for the Vampirates. They do mention in their blog that only 12 were ever made and only some survive, so maybe they will have a limit.
Oh, the Streltsi having that weird gun/great axe combo is also pretty shit. Fucking CA cheated us out of the classic bardiche/handgun dual weapon version.

Cathay's roster actually looks far more restrained then expected so far. It has been completely overshadowed by their shit blog posts emphasizing their super, great, best and richest ever society/land and their mega powerful, harmonious and benevolent, too cool 4 u dragon wizard leaders, but I could see most of their units as not being out of place in Warhammer China. We'll see how they look after their roster reveal.

Cylostra Direfin is absolute shit as a character. An opera singer from Bretonnia on heir to perform for the High Elven king? Do Bretonnians even have the concept of opera? Why would the high elves care about a screaming fat Bretonnian?
At least CA pretty much acknowledged she was a flop with the players, and said they will use lore characters where available instead of making their own shit fanfic from now on.
Too bad the Cathay characters seem like shit fanfic from both CA and GW...

P2W content stay p2w for only about 1-2 months before it gets nerfed. If you mean campaign mechanics, yeah some of the more overpowered shit really ruins playing with that specific faction, like clan Eshin's plunge into anarchy bullshit.

Sunri

Liturgist
Honestly they only thing that really pisses me off about Kislev's roster is the war bear mount for every type of character, and their ONLY artillery being a single gun war bear chariot. I would have expected at least one other more 'common' artillery unit and have little Grom be a unique unit, like Queen Bess for the Vampirates. They do mention in their blog that only 12 were ever made and only some survive, so maybe they will have a limit.
Oh, the Streltsi having that weird gun/great axe combo is also pretty shit. Fucking CA cheated us out of the classic bardiche/handgun dual weapon version.

Cathay's roster actually looks far more restrained then expected so far. It has been completely overshadowed by their shit blog posts emphasizing their super, great, best and richest ever society/land and their mega powerful, harmonious and benevolent, too cool 4 u dragon wizard leaders, but I could see most of their units as not being out of place in Warhammer China. We'll see how they look after their roster reveal.

Cylostra Direfin is absolute shit as a character. An opera singer from Bretonnia on heir to perform for the High Elven king? Do Bretonnians even have the concept of opera? Why would the high elves care about a screaming fat Bretonnian?
At least CA pretty much acknowledged she was a flop with the players, and said they will use lore characters where available instead of making their own shit fanfic from now on.
Too bad the Cathay characters seem like shit fanfic from both CA and GW...

P2W content stay p2w for only about 1-2 months before it gets nerfed. If you mean campaign mechanics, yeah some of the more overpowered shit really ruins playing with that specific faction, like clan Eshin's plunge into anarchy bullshit.
I mean skaven dlc and new beastmean one with Taurox power creep is insane with both

Mitleser2020

Scholar
And i hate how Ca is turning Warhammer into high fantasy like aos every nigga have some magic ice Arrows or other magical shit i feel like wh 1 was more grounded

That means that CA has a better understanding of Warhammer Fantasy than you do because GW's WHF did become more and more fantastic.
For instance, the monstrous cavalry of the Empire from TWW1, the demigryph knights was introduced quite late, in Warhammer Armies: The Empire (8th Edition) and was very much a departure from the grounded cavalry of the Empire.

In the WHF RPG lore, Kislevite city Erengrad produced light artillery. They really should have added war sled/war wagon-based light artillery to the Kislev roster instead of restricting Kislevite artillery to Kislev's equivalent to the Steam Tank.
Also, replacing the bears of the light war sled with horses to make it more distinct from the other war sled would be an improvement.

KateMicucci

Arcane
I don't like the new artstyle. Kislev guys look like WoW characters. Don't think I'll be buying this.

Aemar

Arcane
I still find this whole Chinese-based faction sharing the same setting with orcs and elves situation rather unusual. But then again you also have other unusual factions, like mummies, dinosaurs, or undead pirates. Somehow this amalgam of completely different factions seems more natural in games like Dominions for example.

Delterius

Arcane
I still find this whole Chinese-based faction sharing the same setting with orcs and elves situation rather unusual. But then again you also have other unusual factions, like mummies, dinosaurs, or undead pirates. Somehow this amalgam of completely different factions seems more natural in games like Dominions for example.
do you even warhammer bro

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom