Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

gruntar

Augur
Here's an interesting paragraph from that roadmap update that should explain the state CA currently is:

The CHAT systems in Total War have remained largely unchanged for years and (by today’s standards) are no longer suitable for a modern online world. The shortcomings are many: they lack the front-end tools to report harassment or abuse, the back-end systems to monitor and moderate a 24/7 chat service, and the structure to provide a safe space in which players can communicate. These are all essential facets to a chat system, and we feel strongly that they are aspects we MUST provide by supporting in-game chat: both to empower players to create their own safe spaces, and to remove those players who would utilize the space as a vector for abuse.

Basically looks like every competent dev left and what remains are woke retards that can't figure out how to make a second expansion pack for a game released in 2016.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
The Roadmap doesn't mention changes to the RoC system either, apart from bug fixes. They are really determined to die on that hill I guess.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
These cunts are all working on TW:40k.

IE beta in sept means they've only just started working on that shit, and it'll be a fuck up as they rush to cobble it together.

The roadmap is a joke. For example they identify that reinforcement rates for slaanesh and tzeench is a gameplay issue. Then they "plan" to fix it in Q3 2022. Nigga I can fix that in 10 minutes. They must have some of the worst bureacratic mess imaginable, they've probably already spend 1000 manhours planning this fix and budgeted another 1000 for the fix itself.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Roadmap doesn't mention changes to the RoC system either, apart from bug fixes. They are really determined to die on that hill I guess.
What would be the point of reworking it entirely?
Once the big map is out, nobody is going to touch the current campaign again. And those few who do will have long moved on to mods.
Considering how absurdly long they take to tackle any problem at all, we should be thankful they are leaving RoC behind.

The roadmap is a joke. For example they identify that reinforcement rates for slaanesh and tzeench is a gameplay issue. Then they "plan" to fix it in Q3 2022. Nigga I can fix that in 10 minutes. They must have some of the worst bureacratic mess imaginable, they've probably already spend 1000 manhours planning this fix and budgeted another 1000 for the fix itself.
I'm thinking the same.
I've seen a lot of incompetence as a software dev, but no amount of bad programming or game dev can explain this. The problems must be much higher, in how CA approaches... well... everything.
Maybe CA employees live in some Kafkaesque nightmare...

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
They could at least admit that it wasn't well received. But no, someone over there is very very proud of his "baby" campaign.

flyingjohn

Arcane
It takes months to actually push a single patch in most AAA companies.
Bloodborne performance increase is 5 minutes of work for modders and months of work for Fromsoft.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
If this is the same guy behind the WH2 patches and DLC, then I am optimistic for the game overall. It is frustrating though that actual content is on the back burner, because CA dropped a mess.

It takes months to actually push a single patch in most AAA companies.
Bloodborne performance increase is 5 minutes of work for modders and months of work for Fromsoft.

I can understand that to some extent but this isn't a complex code fix that needs to be tested on a thousand different systems to ensure it works properly. It's copying in +5% replenishment to two techs in the trees and adding +2/+4/+6% to lord lines that don't have them. There's no excuse why this couldn't be slipped into the soonest upcoming patch unless the game is in complete middle manager development hell.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Warscape couldn't possibly handle 40k.

They'll shit out some abomination. Probably why that retarded realm of chaos shit was made, a trial run for planets in a 40k game.

They're running out of fanbases. Historicals are dead, the Chinks and Troy players were bailed on. Game III is a pump and dump.

Those teams have all been put on the next cash cow.

Telling you now that mortal empires for this will never come out of beta.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Since I just finished a (minor!) victory in Attila I have to point out how shit CA are at designing victory conditions. The campaign itself was mostly alright but for some reason they always insist on adding completely superfluous idiotic conditions that drag out the game for too long. Every time they try to do something interesting they botch it.

Shogun 2 worked fine. Age of Charlemagne worked fine (Get to Imperium Level 5+ which you can do via conquest, buildings and tech as you see fit). Those are good examples.
Then you get to garbage like the Realm of Chaos, or the Vortex or the "paint the map but not really" in Rome 2.

I swear these people have never finished one of their own campaigns, otherwise they'd know how tedious they are.

The Alans in Attila need to hold BOTH their historical territories, meaning parts of Southern France and the Caucasus. Jesus H Christ.

LizardWizard

Cipher
I swear these people have never finished one of their own campaigns, otherwise they'd know how tedious they are.

I'd bet money on the vast majority of TW player never finished a campaign. Same with hardcore Paradox gamers. Most just quit or restart after a break.

Demo.Graph

Arbiter
I'd bet money on the vast majority of TW player never finished a campaign. Same with hardcore Paradox gamers. Most just quit or restart after a break.
I'm not the "majority", but...
I did finish M2TW TATW+DAC Isengard grand campaign. I'd even considered continuing it past the 50 regions mark because I've got the ring at the turn that I've won and I wanted to roleplay shit some more. I've autoresolved the majority of tactical battles, though, because they were too samey (and it's okay with Isengard because it's a zerg-light nation).
I've never finished a Paradox game, though. I've mostly played Vicky and V2 and ingame global economy always began to fall apart at about 1880-1900.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Most people don't finish any game, so that doesn't really say a lot. I'm still surprised that 15% of players have finished a campaign with the high elves in WH2, it seems like a super high number.

Mazisky

Magister
I held modding the game for Immortal Empires release but damn, this is way far off. Such a disappointment

ADL

Prophet
If we're waiting that long for Blood for the Blood God III it should be a lot better than the two previous ones.
it won't be, blood will look like ketchup and it'll make the game run even worse than it does now

Tyrr

Liturgist
If we're waiting that long for Blood for the Blood God III it should be a lot better than the two previous ones.
it won't be, blood will look like ketchup and it'll make the game run even worse than it does now
It will again be way over the top and immersion breaking.
trm5zHy.jpg

Mazisky

Magister
It will again be way over the top and immersion breaking.
trm5zHy.jpg

We already know from the game files and blood related UI that it will have sliders for intensity on both models and particles. So the gore fest of Warhammer 2 will not be an issue anymore.

6r9lyii4zqr81.png

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Indeed, I haven't finished most of my TW campaigns, and I regret having finished the ones I did. The hours wasted cleaning the map with a gazillion provinces and armies in MTW1 still haunt me.
TW campaigns usually end long after a winner has been decided.

Ali Assa Seen

Arbiter

Indeed, I haven't finished most of my TW campaigns, and I regret having finished the ones I did. The hours wasted cleaning the map with a gazillion provinces and armies in MTW1 still haunt me.
TW campaigns usually end long after a winner has been decided.
I finished the Kingdoms Britannia campaign. Once it got to just mopping up Norway way up north it was boring. I'm not sure how you can fix that although I feel map provinces should be grouped into campaigning provinces where when you enter your armies it launches into another layer of the game where you have a base of operations and you then do the season's campaigning for that region on a more focused map. So in northern England the map would be this:
1200px-Map_of_the_Kingdom_of_Northumbria_around_700_AD.svg.png

Turns would then be a week or two long with the campaign lasting until either you retreat, eliminate the enemy there, or the season ends. It would encourage balanced forces and the use of scouting detachments to allow you to locate the enemy armies and potentially harass them. You need not then conquer the whole place in one go, when you've taken a few towns and cannot take more you hold on until the season's campaigning ends and then it's back to the main campaign where you can send reinforcements to link up with the invasion force. The point of this all being to get you into a series of battles and skirmishes that matter more than they would in the current system whilst making expansion a little more memorable due to it being different from what we usually get and thanks to it requiring a bit more planning.

This idea probably works better for FoG:Empires.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I've played multiple WH1 factions to completion, including some of the dlc ones. I don't think I've ever finished a single WH2 campaign (maybe TK as they had some actually fresh mechanics and I like skellingtons, not sure now). I'm not planning on buying WH3 and the only thing I find surprising about the entire ordeal is that apparently people don't like it because bugs, not because it looks like to most boring and derivative shit in existence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom