Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

copebot

Learned
1.12 is pretty good for what it is, but the fundamental issue with the Realms of Chaos campaign isn't really the rifts so much as it is the map itself. It's not immediately apparent until you have done a few campaigns, but a key reason why it's not that good is because there are so few major factions. The can't-miss strategy for almost every faction is to bum rush your closest major faction competitor and then complete all the rifts in order when they come up. The only type you can really fail is Tzeentch, and if you do his first and understand how to rush it without savescumming, you can't really fail the rest. If you ever get a full soul ahead of every other faction, the campaign is over and you are guaranteed to win.

Another thing that is a bit lame is that the rifts have to be managed if you are a non-chaos faction, but as a chaos faction, the penalties are not so bad for allowing foreign chaos corruption, so you don't have to manage it as aggressively as you do when you play Kislev, Cathay, or ogres. As Khorne you can go a while without even really closing them, because you benefit so much from fights, your army summons are so strong, and the armies that they send are relatively weak until the last rifts.

Compared to Mortal Empires, in which you are mostly surrounded by major factions and most of the minor factions are gone by the first 50-75 turns, minor factions who are guaranteed to be weak occupy most of the settlements for most of the game. Some of those factions even have semi-crippled rosters, and will always be weaker than major factions. The factions that can confederate them tend to not do it that quickly, so that also makes them weaker. Additionally, some factions like Chaos Undivided gimp themselves by allying with Norsca or other weak factions instead of just conquering its whole peninsula. Factions like Skrag's tend to do better than average just because they're surrounded by enemies, so they'll actually conquer them.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Don't forget that large parts of the map are either unusable mountains or have the wrong climate (Tzeentch in Cathay).

It's just overall a badly designed map.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
1.12 is pretty good for what it is, but the fundamental issue with the Realms of Chaos campaign isn't really the rifts so much as it is the map itself. It's not immediately apparent until you have done a few campaigns, but a key reason why it's not that good is because there are so few major factions.
There are 11 legendary lords, but their starting positions are terrible and half of them don't get to fight anyone else for a while simply due to geographical location. Even Kislev, which is theoretically surrounded by enemies, barely fights them because the demon factions are fighting each other instead.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
1.12 is pretty good for what it is, but the fundamental issue with the Realms of Chaos campaign isn't really the rifts so much as it is the map itself. It's not immediately apparent until you have done a few campaigns, but a key reason why it's not that good is because there are so few major factions.
There are 11 legendary lords, but their starting positions are terrible and half of them don't get to fight anyone else for a while simply due to geographical location. Even Kislev, which is theoretically surrounded by enemies, barely fights them because the demon factions are fighting each other instead.
Dunnou, khornate faction from north of Kislev fucked me pretty good.

Building walls and not closing rifts so that you can autoresolve almost all the enemies coming out of them is basically free money.

Compared to Mortal Empires, in which you are mostly surrounded by major factions and most of the minor factions are gone by the first 50-75 turns, minor factions who are guaranteed to be weak occupy most of the settlements for most of the game. Some of those factions even have semi-crippled rosters, and will always be weaker than major factions. The factions that can confederate them tend to not do it that quickly, so that also makes them weaker. Additionally, some factions like Chaos Undivided gimp themselves by allying with Norsca or other weak factions instead of just conquering its whole peninsula. Factions like Skrag's tend to do better than average just because they're surrounded by enemies, so they'll actually conquer them.

This might be a consequence of the AI major factions cheating a lot less. I'm sure everyone whose played WH2 a lot has seen Tyrion having 2 settlements one turn and then magically confederating Allarielle who has 20 despite being at war with her.

copebot

Learned
Building walls and not closing rifts so that you can autoresolve almost all the enemies coming out of them is basically free money.

This might be a consequence of the AI major factions cheating a lot less. I'm sure everyone whose played WH2 a lot has seen Tyrion having 2 settlements one turn and then magically confederating Allarielle who has 20 despite being at war with her.

I'm not sure if they cheat less or if it's the same. I'm pretty confident, though, that the AI screws up its early game when it goes into the rifts. Having to balance out the rift race while also fighting neighbors is beyond the AI's capability to do effectively. It can only really balance it once it has a bunch of settlements and armies already, at which point losing the faction leader for 5-10 turns isn't that big of a deal.

I'm not sure if they cheat less or if it's the same. I'm pretty confident, though, that the AI screws up its early game when it goes into the rifts. Having to balance out the rift race while also fighting neighbors is beyond the AI's capability to do effectively. It can only really balance it once it has a bunch of settlements and armies already, at which point losing the faction leader for 5-10 turns isn't that big of a deal.
That's probably a good reason too. AI is probably really screwed by this on normal where it can't afford that many extra stacks while small.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The AI sucks in general, it can't do anything right (just like the new layout of the 'Dex).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Yes another Empire new feature while leaving the rest of WH1 factions in the dump. Thank you CA. Maybe you should do some special personal feature for Skavens too in that regard?

Lacrymas

Arcane
They are just listing Volkmar the Grim as an example, it's implied it won't only be him. New victory conditions, new end-game scenarios, new faction mechanics are incline. Let's hope they'll eventually start working on the actual gameplay part of this game.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Yeah I was kinda being asinine with the comment but out of all fucking LL Empire's are the one need least work. Well hopefully they give the other LL some justice.

If you expect combat level massive change unlikely honestly. The work to make WH1 faction unique in combat would probably enough to make people bald.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
"Immortal Empires is easily the most anticipated game mode coming to Total War: WARHAMMER III" is a funny line when you consider it's the only mode that might redeem this blunder.

The proposed changes seem good.

Yeah I was kinda being asinine with the comment but out of all fucking LL Empire's are the one need least work. Well hopefully they give the other LL some justice.
They probably mention the empire because it's the most recognizable faction and doesn't require a specific DLC.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
Empire is the most popular WH1 faction and Volkmar is one of the old LLs who needs a(nother) rework the most as he lacks his own dedicated subfaction, distinct start position and campaign mechanic.

Except Volkmar the Grim is DLC ;d
Which is another reason to put more effort into him than others.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Helman Ghorst and Volkmar are considered the worst DLC LLs, so reworking them would indeed be nice for the people who own them.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I just bought the first one. Just wondering how much more intense the specs are on the second and third ones? Not real worried about the third one at this point but the second one I might get at a later date for all the Elves and Mummy shit.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Yes another Empire new feature while leaving the rest of WH1 factions in the dump. Thank you CA. Maybe you should do some special personal feature for Skavens too in that regard?
The only two WH1 factions that need urgent updates are Dwarfs and vamps, the rest got updated during WH2 years.
Except Norsca, but why would anyone play them LOL.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Warriors of Chaos are also a WH1 race, but we know they are getting an update. Didn't Dwarfs already get an update? Did they get obsolete again so fast?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Warriors of Chaos are getting an update because they suck ass. Dwarfs don't need one imo but I am a noob.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
WoC, Norsca, Vampire all need reworks/additional faction mechanics

Greenskins honestly need additional slight additional feature too on campaign level

I would argue Bretonnia also needs something outside of chivalry mechanic on campaign level

Tyrr

Liturgist
Helman Ghorst and Volkmar are considered the worst DLC LLs, so reworking them would indeed be nice for the people who own them.
Ghorst has the best faction effects from all the VCs. If you want to min-max you always pick him and unlock Mannfred later.
But that's also why I want him to be his own faction, so you don't feel gimped by not starting with him.

btw, Grombrindal has the same problem and I'm happy he will also get his own faction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom