Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

tabacila

Augur
Queek seems like first in line to be an involuntary blood and/or skulls donor. Should be fun.
Love the lord/hero combo for Vlad and Isabella.

I don't understand the people that were insisting Sigvald will be moved to DoC because he's Slaanesh's bitch. It was pretty clear we were going to get specific god aligned WoC factions. Glad those two are staying WoC.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
20220705220717_1.jpg

"Auto-resolve is fixed" my cloaka.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I hate Ku'Gath so fucking much. Worst faction in the damn game.
Also the AI being retardedly laser-focused on the player still isn't really fixed. It's not as bad anymore but Kislev will still eventually snake towards the player no matter what and happily ignore every other enemy.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
RE: Auto resolve - there's a problem of that system overvaluing some units over others. In Slaanesh's case, my main N'Kari army with 14 daemonettes, a succubus and the other 3 units you start with + a 15-man-strong devotee army got a pyrrhic victory result against a 15-man Khorne garrison. I auto-resolved it to see what the outcome actually is and I lost 1 unit of daemonettes and all the other ones, including the devotee army, were left at 20% hp.

Nurgle just isn't designed to be played vs. AI cheats (or vs. towers lol). It's a faction that is supposed to be slow, unwieldy, and slug things out to win by attrition. That concept doesn't work when both sides aren't playing by the same rules.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Meh. Nothing unusual again. I was hoping for Orc presence in Lustria but nope.
All these starts are uninspired at best.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Nurgle just isn't designed to be played vs. AI cheats (or vs. towers lol). It's a faction that is supposed to be slow, unwieldy, and slug things out to win by attrition. That concept doesn't work when both sides aren't playing by the same rules.
VCs can slug things out better than Nurgle though.

VCs can slug things out better than Nurgle though.

Not entirely sure about that. VCs in WH2 don't really play against ultra focused melee factions like Khorne or Slaanesh, and they haven't had to try and slug things out while under WH3 style turret fire. Their saving grace is more about how abusable Wind of Death is vs. AI.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
Oh, btw, the change they did with ranged units is hilariously broken, perhaps the most broken thing in the entirety of the Total War series.

They quickly fixed this problem.

We are backing out that change in today's hotfix, though we plan to revisit the original issue in the future—so watch for less extreme changes in a future update!

Reverted the following change:
  • To prevent instances where ranged units hold their fire because a friendly unit is in their line of fire, overlapping units are now considered (by the game as) part of the same unit. This should ensure that ranged units can more consistently carry out firing orders.
TOTAL WAR: WARHAMMER III - HOTFIX 1.3.1

Lacrymas

Arcane
Absolutely expected. It was beyond broken. Good thing it didn't take them months to revert it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, wow.
So they really thought THAT would be the way to fix the LOS problem with ranged gunners?

Not, like, maybe a spread-out, semi-irregular checkerboard formation for single units?
How about this:
Since units carry magical siege ladders in their pockets, why not have gunners carry magical little stools that they can stand on in the back row?...

Or more realistically, have some units kneel and maybe combine that with the checkerboard formation?

There are a million ways to solve this problem, is what I'm saying...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Wasn't this a fix to try to buff AI ranged units and not necessarily something for the players?

zapotec

Liturgist
It's me or the units are more retarded than usual? Especially cavalry units tends to stop in the middle of a charging order.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Wasn't this a fix to try to buff AI ranged units and not necessarily something for the players?
Yes. And I didn't get why people were loosing their minds over the change.
It was a change to help the AI when it is blobbing/shuffling its units. The player can decide not to use cheese in SP. Like don't corner-camp or stack all range units (unless your name is Legend of Total War). And in MP it's very easy to punish a player that blobs all his units.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I wouldn't say balancing works likes that. You technically could force yourself to not use overpowered shit, but why is it in the game in the first place? Just fix the damn AI already

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
Just fix the damn AI finally.
Good luck with that. Writing a good AI is one of the most (if not the most) difficult skills in coding. If you are good at it, you can earn WAY more money outside of game development. So don't expect too many improvements to the AI in the future.
So I feel like changes like with the range units are a necessity to keep the game challenging and fun in SP, but I would made that change only affect AI units (maybe only on higher difficulties, as the AI already cheats anyway on these).

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Oh, wow.
So they really thought THAT would be the way to fix the LOS problem with ranged gunners?

Not, like, maybe a spread-out, semi-irregular checkerboard formation for single units?
How about this:
Since units carry magical siege ladders in their pockets, why not have gunners carry magical little stools that they can stand on in the back row?...

Or more realistically, have some units kneel and maybe combine that with the checkerboard formation?

There are a million ways to solve this problem, is what I'm saying...
Warscape can't do musket warfare. Never could, never will.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Warscape can't do musket warfare. Never could, never will.
This is not an engine problem, though.

Are single-unit formations possible? Yes.
Are straight-firing units possible? Yes.
Are line-of-sight checks possible? Yes.
Are different heights of units and terrain being taken into account? Yes.
Are single entities of units doing something else than other entities in the unit possible? Yes.

Honestly, all the features to solve the problem are present in the engine.

I'd even take an ability. Similar to how in AoE, you have to build up catapults first before they fire, you could have gunner units take up some beneficial formation (or build something to stand on for better efficiency, or whatever) on command.

As I said, there are countless ways to fix this, all fully within engine capabilities.
It's just a matter of actually doing it - and that's definitely a problem CA has...

Lacrymas

Arcane
CA's Warhammer team is too bloated for its own good, I won't be surprised if they don't know what they actually want to do. Troy's team was much smaller and obviously much better organized, so Troy ended up being the best contemporary Total War. WH is just a nonsensical mess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom