Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Total War: Warhammer's existence leaked

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Creative Assembly; Total War; Total War: Warhammer; Warhammer

large_4.png

Long been rumored, it would seem that Total War: Warhammer's existence has been leaked through a Total War artbook which refers to development on the game.

No further details have been revealed and Creative Assembly has been silent on the matter.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I almost expect to see a Bloodthirster stuck in a gate breach or Unstoppable Chaos Legions maneuvering for hours around abandoned battering ram.
Because Creative Assembly.

Zeriel

Arcane
I couldn't be less interested in this. Not because of Warhammer, that's awesome, but because any modern CA game is destined to be complete garbage, not even worth torrenting.

I guess Games Workshop is continuing their trend of picking the absolute worst developers, though. Props to them for consistency.

Fangshi

Arcane
I wonder if CA is going to use the 8th edition Warhammer setting or the new setting being developed for the 9th ed of Warhammer Fantasy Bubbles...

You would think they would have enough common sense to go with the material that everyone knows but maybe GW wants to use this to help launch their (rumoured) new game? :?

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
The Total war formula had become completely stale these years. Hopefully this will force them to refresh most mechanisms.

Different good or different bad, only time will tell.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wouldn't mind a Star Craft: Total War or some other space oriented total war turnbased game with real time battles.

Total War in space with relativistic effects could be fun.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
You'd think that switching from 18th century firearm formations back to Roman Legions would have forced them to refresh.

They did not.

Because they already did Roman Legions before.

Fantasy involving giants, magical spells, dragons, Zombies and what not will certainly lead to a significant rethink, regardless if it's bad or good. You can be sure it won't be the same engine for a start.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I more meant about how they did rethink things for Empire: Total War...which ended being a disaster and one they kept on repeating over and over, even when going back to Rome which really got fucked because of the engine which has no collision (Not even going into the glitches).

I'd like to think it won't be the same engine...I'd really like that...

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
I more meant about how they did rethink things for Empire: Total War...which ended being a disaster and one they kept on repeating over and over, even when going back to Rome which really got fucked because of the engine which has no collision (Not even going into the glitches).

I'd like to think it won't be the same engine...I'd really like that...

Well going muskets and line battles was a retarded idea anyway. I care to remind that the engine in Medieval 2 was a terrible mutation of the Rome 1 engine and the collision was a disaster.

I don't think they can accomplish any of the obvious goals with the current engine. Flying units, Giants, and that kind of fantasy stuff.

It's hard to tell where CA is going. Unmodded Medieval 2 was a turd, Rome 1 only had the novelty going for it, Medieval 1 and Shogun 1 were good, Empire was a turd, Napoleon was a turd, Rome 2 was mediocre, Attila who knows, Shogun 2 was good and Fall of the Samurai was great. There's no pattern here.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
You'd think that switching from 18th century firearm formations back to Roman Legions would have forced them to refresh.

They did not.
I'm playing Rome 2 (Emperor Edition) right now. Some new features off the top of my head that aren't present in any of the other previous games:

Province/Region system. Adds a new dynamic to conquests and an incentive to conquer certain regions over others. Shared resources and abilities over the entire province. Ability to enact edicts if you own the whole province. Culture, in particular, is heavily affected if a province is shared between two or more factions.

Imperium mechanic that determines how many armies/fleets/agents you can recruit, as well as various bonuses and penalties for each level. Makes each army more meaningful.

Recruitment mechanic that reduces micromanagement by having the general recruit directly, based on the province he is in. Ability to levy from client states. And you don't NEED to have a bunch of small armies anymore, because...

Garrisons that actually matter, based on the advancement of the settlement.

Ability to split military buildings into either faction recruitment or auxillary recruitment chains, with the province determining what units are available on the auxillary chain. Greatly increases unit options. This one was long overdue.

Amphibious battles.

Armies and agents automatically creating their own transports when crossing sea instead of having to have a fleet waiting for them.

Ability to control forty units in battles with reinforcements.

New "three traits" system for all characters, including agents, which allow a lot of different abilities. Lots of different things your agents can do now, all of them logical.

Stances. Forced march in particular is very useful.

Diplomacy that works better than in any other game previous.

Split of alliances into military and defensive, with military being harder to get.

Client states and military allies actually counting for province victory conditions, meaning you can achieve victory more diplomatically.

Political system based on the gravitas of your generals, which in turn is based on their accomplishments in the field. Various political actions you can do to gain more influence in the Senate (or other faction equivalent) which has its bonuses. Threat of civil war based on how high or low your influence is.

Like I said, this is the recent Emperor Edition. I didn't play it on the original release, though I've heard there were a lot of problems. If most of them weren't fixed until the Emperor Edition, then that should have been the initial release. Still, if it was rushed, that's a publisher problem. Bugs, in particular, are the responsibility of the publisher.

Anyway...

Don't know much about Warhammer, other than that it's basically "fantasy races in space"...right? How large a role does magic play in this universe? Can we expect wizard units on the battlefield?

Dead Guy

Cipher
Warhammer is fantasy races in fantasyland, Warhammer 40.000 is space races (though you have your Eldar elves and Orks Orcs) in space.

Magic has played a huge role in many Warhammer Fantasy Battle editions, magic items on heroes too. I would hope they can portray that better than some lame ass general ability, but like many others I'm not sure what to expect. I wanted them to do this back around RTW-M2TW. Something more than a small unit that shoots purple artillery missiles would be nice.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Dicksmoker mentions a lot of stuff and some of it is good, some of it badly implemented. But it's all on the strategy map. Units and battles are still worse than in (modded) ME2.

If somebody wants to try Warhammer in Total War(ME2): http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?1377-Call-of-Warhammer
Only has scripted campaigns and the crazy Russians make it so the enemy fucks you up with high-tier units/armies before you really get your feet under you. And Kislev is the strongest faction ;) (Probably I just play it wrong (TM))
And if you're generally interested in fantasy units in TW: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?654-Third-Age-Total-War
This one I actually recommend. I spent some time balancing factions and units, but that's just how I am. It's perfectly playable as is.

I'm still looking forward to TW:WH, but unless they anounce an engine change (with a return to mod-friendliness) I'll not get excited.

Shannow

Waster of Time
You know when I gave Sega and CA money the last time?
You with the NSA or what?
DarkUnderlord I request an "NSA spy" tag for Thane Solus.

Inb4 this backfires hard against me.

CA HAS NO CODERS LEFT. THEY ALL JUMPED SHIP.

ARE YOU REALLY EXPECTING SOMETHING GOOD TO COME OUT WITH THE RTW2 ENGINE?

UNLESS THEY SHOWCASE A NEW ONE, I WOULD KEEP MY HOPES LOW.

BE REALISTIC.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
When did that happen and for what reason did they jump ship?
There was a hilarious situation after Empire release. After community and people saw ETW AI and asked "WTF is THIS?" Creative Assembly released a dev blog where complained that they had only one guy making AI and he quit some time before release. So it was his fault that AI is a crippled alpha and the game is near unplayable.
Lulz were had.

The problem with these settings (LOTR mods for example) and WH40k, is that the diplomacy doesn't make any sense.

Yeah let's marry our Elven princess to an Orc to strengthen our relations..

A horse of course

The problem with these settings (LOTR mods for example) and WH40k, is that the diplomacy doesn't make any sense.

Yeah let's marry our Elven princess to an Orc to strengthen our relations..

But it works in anime all the time

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom