Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline TotalBiscuit: Have FPS gone backwards? (answer is yes)

MetalCraze

Arcane
Or can you say you have more playtime in an early/mid 90s shooter today than in modern shootbox

Yes. The last modern shooter I bought was Painkiller precisely because it's closer in style to earlier shooters. I've never touched battlefield and have no intention of doing so. Doom/Hexen/Heretic will never die as far as I'm concerned. I bring them out and wear them out like they were your mother every few months.

Nice hipster post bro. Very pretentious and without actually replying to my point.

Also it makes you a narrowminded retard just like TotalBiscuit for whom it's either Call of Duty with M4 and Ak47 or Doom. Other shooters don't exist.

I can't watch anything Angry Joe makes but at least he put that microsoft exec faggot in his place telling them to remove the bullshit DRM whilst every professional reviewer was busy opening wide for the penis.

Why do you care what a consoletard who buys every single crap release for XBox tells to an XBox maker?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Or can you say you have more playtime in an early/mid 90s shooter today than in modern shootbox

Yes. The last modern shooter I bought was Painkiller precisely because it's closer in style to earlier shooters. I've never touched battlefield and have no intention of doing so. Doom/Hexen/Heretic will never die as far as I'm concerned. I bring them out and wear them out like they were your mother every few months.

Nice hipster post bro. Very pretentious and without actually replying to my point.

Also it makes you a narrowminded retard just like TotalBiscuit for whom it's either Call of Duty with M4 and Ak47 or Doom. Other shooters don't exist.

If you play modern shooters you're a popamole faggot. If you don't you're a narrowminded retard. :lol: Go fuck yourself.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So basically you do play modern shooters a lot more? Since you are trying to avoid answering the question.

And yeah you are a narrowminded retard because to you it's either modern or old. Not good or bad.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The peak of the "pure" FPS genre was reached with HL2. After that it went all either a) full retard or b) race-mixing with other genres, partial success like Dishonored.
HL2 was already a example of decline gathering momentum. Too much story and gimmicks, too little gunplay.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sad thing is that while I love shooters I havent actually enjoyed one for a long time. I did play some good/mediocre ones in the last years but I think that last one that really enjoyed was No One Lives Forever which was released ten years ago.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
HL2 was already a example of decline gathering momentum. Too much story and gimmicks, too little gunplay.
It barely had a story at all. Stuff like Halo and Call of Duty (the first, not-totally-fucking-terrible one, at least) had already been released when HL2 came out. It felt more "late 90's" than any other shooter released that year, as the gameplay was still largely unchanged from HL1. I can't really see it as decline in that context.

Many of my most played shooters are from between the releases from HL1 and HL2, probably because that was the time when I started buying computer games. Before that I had of course played obvious classics like Doom, Duke 3D, Quake and the shareware versions of numerous other shooters, and many of those games have stood the test of time really well. After HL2, there is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and not much else.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The peak of the "pure" FPS genre was reached with HL2. After that it went all either a) full retard or b) race-mixing with other genres, partial success like Dishonored.
No. I like HL2, but it was no way the peak.

First, all the guns felt weak because they wanted you to use the gravity gun. Second there are several parts where you're just waiting for minutes while people talk. Third there are driving sections, which go against pure FPS right there.

One problem with this discussion is that FPS subgenres are not well defined. On one side of the coin you have fast paced anything goes games that id used to make. Then you have realistic shooters like Rainbow Six, SWAT4, Arma. Then you have slower games that aren't realistic like Halo. Then you have Call of Duty. More recently has been the cover based shooter (the only well defined sub-genre). All of these styles play completely differently from one another. So I don't think there is a "pure FPS". Also, if anything HL2 would be in the 3rd group with Halo.l

The real problem isn't even the existence of the terrible sub-genres, but that the first two disappeared. Where are the Dooms and Quakes of today? Where are the competitors to Arma?

Delterius

Arcane
The peak of the "pure" FPS genre was reached with HL2
half life is overrated garbage

9781.jpg

HL1 was good. HL2 is overrated garbage meh.

Gravity gun is shit. "Emotional Engagement" is shit. Story was shit (the parts that make you wait while story happens rather than observing the environment of your own free will, that is). Guns lacked weight. Vehicle segments (and the antlion summoning thing) were overdone, gimmicky, and always super-ridiculously-easy. NPCs went from incredibly helpful tools that died quickly if you didn't protect them to infinitely replaceable grunts that can win any battle that they are a part of.

The only good parts were some of the non-vehicle level design when the designers weren't asking themselves how they can force the player to use the gravity gun or PHYSICS! or other gimmicks. Unfortunately the game is so full of gimmicks that the non-gimmick pure FPS parts made up a minority of the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can understand why RPG players would prefer HL1 over HL2 since it's basically a dungeon crawl in a wacky science lab. Actually, in retrospect, a lot of the old school shooters can be seen as serviceable "statless dungeon crawlers".

vitamin

Augur
Where are the competitors to Arma?
In general you're unfortunately right - there are no real competitors to Arma right now. But there are some good alternatives, especially for those who cannot run Arma games. Project Reality - a mod for BF2 seems to be good. Also there are still Red Orchestra games. And there are Ground Branch and Takedown in the making too. And last but not least, Infiltration mod for UT is surprisingly very good realistic shooter. I know it's not much, but still better than nothing;)

EDIT:
Shit, I forgot about the mother of them all... OFP. This game with some addons installed (ECP or SLX is a must) still kicks ass like no other game (in both SP and MP mode).

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

HL(2) started the decline bro. That fat fuck Gaben is personally responsible for planting the seeds that would destroy the fps genre as we knew it. Microsoft and Activision finished the process.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom