Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline TotalBiscuit: Have FPS gone backwards? (answer is yes)

dunno lah

Arcane
All this Doom music talk is making me so inclined to derail this thread with some E2M3 and E2M8. Maybe some E2M2 as well...SHOULD I DO ITZ?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Coriolanus

Learned
I also prefer Quake over Doom. Everything wasn't brown in Quake. You had some cool red variations (Gloom Keep), blue wizard themes (Romero's episode) and the blue Elder World theme (Azure Agony is a perfect example). You also had variations of green and yellow (the base maps in particular). I think the soundtrack is also one of the best and sets the mood perfectly. The only thing that makes Quake's experience better is when you play some Sunn O))) tracks instead of Reznor's score, but that's just me. Also, when it comes to Doom's score, I vastly prefer the very dark ambient and brooding Doom 64 soundtrack, I'm not really into that heavy metal thing anymore. I also don't really agree with your criticism of the weapons. The only one that feels weird/weak is the nailgun (and its pretty terrible noise) and arguably the base shotgun (it's perfect for sniping and it has a very fast recovery time though). The SNG feels extremely powerful (and it is) and the rocket launcher is the best in any game in my opinion.

Where Doom lacks IMO compared to Quake is the tempo and constant change of pace forced by enemies/terrain. Quake has things that Fiends that can leap across large hallways and kill you in 2 blows. Death Knights that you have to waltz around and bait their melee swing or take missiles to the face. Viles that turn any messy engagement into a nightmare. When you put a these varieties together in one room, things can go crazy really quick.

Doom 1... well, it's basically enemies throwing stuff that flies in a straight line and a lot of ground to maneuver. Yes, they have melee attacks - but you're never in danger. Keep strafing - you'll be fine. Doom 2 added some variety with Arch-viles and stuff, but I haven't played it long enough to really tell if it's better than 1.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think the weapons are that bad in Quake, but Doom just nailed it. That shotgun sound combined with that death scream and the visual effects, the almost hypnotizing rhythm of turning an enemy after enemy into a pile of blood and guts... It's just incredibly satisfying compared to anything in Quake, or pretty much any other game for that matter. Doom's pacing and gameplay is also pretty much flawless, it has barely aged at all. Also some of the best music in any game. Quake didn't quite achieve that.

I really like Quake too, it has some brilliant levels, a pretty unique atmosphere and mostly great visual style. I've probably played it more than Doom because I actually had a physical copy of it in the 90's whereas Doom was just something I played at a friend's house. Yet out of these two games, I'd go with Doom nine times out of ten.
I don't know if I've found anything as satisfying as landing a perfect hit with a grenade launcher where I'm in the air strafing the target, and the target itself is moving, and I had to bounce the grenade off a wall. Sure I've only done this like 5 times in my life, but each time it felt awesome.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I passed Quake on my Pentium 75, with the NiN soundtrack and everything. It was gloriously creepy. And all those sleepless nights playing Threewave CTF on my 33.6 modem...

The amazing thing about Quake is that like WoW it still LOOKS GOOD despite being horrendously outdated... and being 8 years older than WoW.

That's what happens when you have artists working on the game instead of just programmers throwing around hi-res assets and hoping they stick.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
The only worthy FPS is STALKER SOC (and Clear Sky).

Fuck everything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom