Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Touhou Touhou series

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
Oh right 17.5, the vaporware spin-off by Twilight Frontier is coming this month.
It's August 56th and still nothing.

thesecret1

Arcane
I'm slowly getting into Touhou, playing EoSD here and there and having lots of fun. The music is amazing and never gets old.

I've beat it on normal with everyone, and on hard with Marisa A (trying to beat with everyone on hard before moving onto lunatic). Is it just me, or is Reimu ridiculously shit compared to Marisa? It's like she deals minimal damage in comparison, with her big spread just causing you to miss even more shots (and thus deal even less damage). Reimu B in particular feels truly garbage.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm slowly getting into Touhou, playing EoSD here and there and having lots of fun. The music is amazing and never gets old.

I've beat it on normal with everyone, and on hard with Marisa A (trying to beat with everyone on hard before moving onto lunatic). Is it just me, or is Reimu ridiculously shit compared to Marisa? It's like she deals minimal damage in comparison, with her big spread just causing you to miss even more shots (and thus deal even less damage). Reimu B in particular feels truly garbage.
EoSD is one I can beat on Lunatic 1CC... And Reimu B if I'm not very mistaken has the highest point blank DPS of any character.

I usually pick A though because I don't need things to die quickly.

Didn't find Marisa useful at all.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's always lying.
I also said point blank. Basically on top of bosses.

And I might be misremembering. There's a lot of Touhou games.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Marisa missile mode does more damage but the difference from Reimu needle shot type is negligible and the huge delay on missiles means you'll be missing a lot of your shots in many cases and the overall effective, actual gameplay dps isn't that good. Decent on bosses but absolutely godawful on stages. Reimu with needle is high, usable dps, and as always in touhou games, Reimu has the smaller hitbox which is the biggest boon of all.

It is very rare for Marisa to ever be worth playing apart from being an added challenge or just desiring variety in shot and bomb types. In games where there's more than Reimu or Marisa, the other characters tend to have better gimmicks too. Sakuya homing is the easiest character to complete PCB with. Sanae is god mode in LOLK.

Marisa plays alright in games where her laser shot type isn't too gimped, but missile Marisa is always trash.

Max Damage

Savant
Touhou 7 SakuyaB Lunatic 1CC
8C8LdIE.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
18.5 is listed on Steam. It's more of the card-based gameplay of 18.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.gematsu.com/2022/09/valkyrie-of-phantasm-for-pc-launches-in-early-access-on-october-23

Aerial battle Touhou Project game Valkyrie of Phantasm will launch in Early Access for PC via Steam on October 23 under the publishing of PLAYISM, developer Areazero announced. It will support English, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese lnguage options.

"Soar through the skies freely, dodge a rain of enemy fire gracefully, and counter with a variety of dazzling spells in Valkyrie of Phantasm, Areazero’s (Touhou Sky Arena) latest Touhou Derivative Project that’s faster and more thrilling than anything before."

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Fan-made 2010 turn-based RPG Touhou Soujinengi aka The Genius of Sappheiros is coming to Steam. This is based on recent (few years ago actually) console release. Japanese only.

ss_ad369700f09275d923b1d9353e0d55c8aa9cdf05.600x338.jpg
ss_942c913eb00e0cd20de4af7ea67c19c083341646.600x338.jpg

Suicidal

Arcane
Fan-made 2010 turn-based RPG Touhou Soujinengi aka The Genius of Sappheiros is coming to Steam. This is based on recent (few years ago actually) console release. Japanese only.

ss_ad369700f09275d923b1d9353e0d55c8aa9cdf05.600x338.jpg
ss_942c913eb00e0cd20de4af7ea67c19c083341646.600x338.jpg

I played this game a few years ago. After I played Labyrinth of Touhou and really enjoyed it, I was looking for similar games and someone (don't remember if it was on the Codex or somewhere else) recommended this.

This game is great. Very deep combat system and very hard enemies that force you to use and abuse everything you can to survive. This might actually be the hardest RPG I've ever played, I remember some encounters taking me several weeks of planning and preparation to beat, I even made Excel spreadsheets to document what they do and keep track of things. A part of the difficulty is unfair bullshit though - some bosses were probably designed around the player being able to read the developers' minds seeing as how they required a very specific strategy to beat and nothing else worked, at least, nothing else that I have tried.

From what I've seen, the console version added some new challenges, a new character and different QoL improvements. Don't know if it's translated, as I've only played the original.

I highly recommend anyone who likes JRPGs to give this a try, but unfortunately the Steam version will probably be untranslated for a long time, so your only options are either to wait, learn Japanese, or download the original version that has a working translation.

Apparently, this game is a clone of the SaGa games, which I've never played but maybe I should if they're anywhere near as good as this.

Last edited:

Amurada

Educated
I played this game a few years ago. After I played Labyrinth of Touhou and really enjoyed it, I was looking for similar games and someone (don't remember if it was on the Codex or somewhere else) recommended this.

This game is great. Very deep combat system and very hard enemies that force you to use and abuse everything you can to survive. This might actually be the hardest RPG I've ever played, I remember some encounters taking me several weeks of planning and preparation to beat, I even made Excel spreadsheets to document what they do and keep track of things. A part of the difficulty is unfair bullshit though - some bosses were probably designed around the player being able to read the developers' minds seeing as how they required a very specific strategy to beat and nothing else worked, at least, nothing else that I have tried.

From what I've seen, the console version added some new challenges, a new character and different QoL improvements. Don't know if it's translated, as I've only played the original.

I highly recommend anyone who likes JRPGs to give this a try, but unfortunately the Steam version will probably be untranslated for a long time, so your only options are either to wait, learn Japanese, or download the original version that has a working translation.

Apparently, this game is a clone of the SaGa games, which I've never played but maybe I should if they're anywhere near as good as this.
I've played SaGa 1 (Wonderswan remake), SaGa 2 (DS remake), Romancing SaGa 2 (remake), & SaGa Frontier 2. I'm a fan of the franchise, and will eventually get to each one eventually -- I wouldn't describe any of them as being particularly difficult. I enjoy them for what they are, but if you're going into it solely wanting a game that offers a formidable challenge, I'd stay away from them.

Unlimited SaGa, The Last Remnant, & SaGa Scarlet Grace (to a lesser extent) are the games known for their difficulty, and I doubt that they come close to Labyrinth of Touhou, and especially Sappheiros -- I've played the former, but not the latter for reference. The games within the SaGa series that I haven't mentioned probably aren't known for their difficulty; or if they are, its from people who find games like Final Fantasy VIII to be difficult.

Suicidal

Arcane
I've played SaGa 1 (Wonderswan remake), SaGa 2 (DS remake), Romancing SaGa 2 (remake), & SaGa Frontier 2. I'm a fan of the franchise, and will eventually get to each one eventually -- I wouldn't describe any of them as being particularly difficult. I enjoy them for what they are, but if you're going into it solely wanting a game that offers a formidable challenge, I'd stay away from them.

Unlimited SaGa, The Last Remnant, & SaGa Scarlet Grace (to a lesser extent) are the games known for their difficulty, and I doubt that they come close to Labyrinth of Touhou, and especially Sappheiros -- I've played the former, but not the latter for reference. The games within the SaGa series that I haven't mentioned probably aren't known for their difficulty; or if they are, its from people who find games like Final Fantasy VIII to be difficult.
I don't need a game to be ball-bustingly difficult in order to enjoy it, but if the gameplay is fun then the difficulty adds to the enjoyment.

I didn't know Last Remnant was part of SaGa, it looks nothing alike. I remember I played it long ago and I think I enjoyed it. I wouldn't call it very difficult but I remember it having some weird leveling system that actually made the game harder the more you leveled. It wasn't a big deal for the main story fights but if you leveled "incorrectly" then some optional bosses would become pretty much unwinnable.

I have a bunch of SaGa games on Steam that I have gotten over the years from sales/bundles, including Scarlet Grace so I'll probably start with that once I decide to give the series a try.

Amurada

Educated
I don't need a game to be ball-bustingly difficult in order to enjoy it, but if the gameplay is fun then the difficulty adds to the enjoyment.

I didn't know Last Remnant was part of SaGa, it looks nothing alike. I remember I played it long ago and I think I enjoyed it. I wouldn't call it very difficult but I remember it having some weird leveling system that actually made the game harder the more you leveled. It wasn't a big deal for the main story fights but if you leveled "incorrectly" then some optional bosses would become pretty much unwinnable.

I have a bunch of SaGa games on Steam that I have gotten over the years from sales/bundles, including Scarlet Grace so I'll probably start with that once I decide to give the series a try.
Good to know, I assumed that you chased games that solely were difficult, especially since it seems you don't particularly enjoy JRPG aesthetics, plotlines, or settings (I prefer them); and I'm not too sure how much all of that grates on the rest of your enjoyment of the "sub-genre" in particular -- especially since I generally take your recommendations for difficult games, and you haven't steered me wrong yet. The combat mechanics in these games are fun, but I generally enjoy the differing approaches to combat mechanics the moon-men usually conjur up (as a novelty at the very least); and I know that usually irks the DnD Warpig crowd.

If you have Romancing SaGa 2 on Steam, I'd give that a shot first. Played through it when the remake launched on Steam, and its what got me into playing through the whole series. If you don't already know, SaGa games - more than most JRPGs - sorta try to live up to the 'RPG' part of that label, even more than some of the classics people gas up around here. RS2 in particular has a pseudo-kingdom building element to it -- it ain't Crusader Kings, or even a Civ. If anything, it offers the trappings of what those games offer, but at most, its more like a lite pseudo stock-investment mechanic, diversifying portfolios and all. After playing it, I resented the fact that the game didn't come out for the SNES back in the day, it would've blown me away for sure.

Suicidal

Arcane

Good to know, I assumed that you chased games that solely were difficult, especially since it seems you don't particularly enjoy JRPG aesthetics, plotlines, or settings (I prefer them); and I'm not too sure how much all of that grates on the rest of your enjoyment of the "sub-genre" in particular -- especially since I generally take your recommendations for difficult games, and you haven't steered me wrong yet. The combat mechanics in these games are fun, but I generally enjoy the differing approaches to combat mechanics the moon-men usually conjur up (as a novelty at the very least); and I know that usually irks the DnD Warpig crowd.

If you have Romancing SaGa 2 on Steam, I'd give that a shot first. Played through it when the remake launched on Steam, and its what got me into playing through the whole series. If you don't already know, SaGa games - more than most JRPGs - sorta try to live up to the 'RPG' part of that label, even more than some of the classics people gas up around here. RS2 in particular has a pseudo-kingdom building element to it -- it ain't Crusader Kings, or even a Civ. If anything, it offers the trappings of what those games offer, but at most, its more like a lite pseudo stock-investment mechanic, diversifying portfolios and all. After playing it, I resented the fact that the game didn't come out for the SNES back in the day, it would've blown me away for sure.

Alright, thanks, I'll check RS2 first then, although I'm not exactly excited for more city-builder minigames after experiencing the one in Kingmaker. I assume that none of the games in the series are related storywise?

Personally I'm interested to see in what way GoS is a SaGa clone because GoS is basically a dungeon crawler and from your description SaGa games seem like more general purpose RPGs.

Max Damage

Savant
Touhou 7 SakuyaB Phantasm, 1CC is kinda redundant to type out for extras since you can't continue, now that I think. This one is basically Extra+, same stage and boss patterns but a bit harder, so it didn't take long to clear.
gMu9uTT.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom