Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Toy Origin of Various D&D Monsters

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
This article may be old news to you guys, but I was unaware of it and found it amusing: https://diterlizzi.com/essay/owlbears-rust-monsters-and-bulettes-oh-my/ It explains how various of the iconic early D&D monsters were just ink drawings of dime-store junky rubber toys from Asia that Gygax wanted to canonize so that he could use the toys as miniatures:

Bulette.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron
That's hilarious! And also makes me feel a bit less creatively bankrupt. To look at those old drawings and envision an artist creating them out of whole cloth really makes ones own creative efforts look pale in comparison.

While great artists surely can and do such work (Darrow, Segrelles, Moebius encapsulate it nicely for the world of pulp), I sheepishly admit a bit of satisfaction knowing the great art in the old MM was more still life than creative vision. The vision and creativity was really in the systems and framing text.

Codex Year of the Donut
Bulette is in the first edition of DRAGON magazine, I remember reading about it for my thread on the magazine earlier this year.
LeFuBBC.png

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had an identical green/brown "dinosaur" toy when I was a kid :D
Haven't made the connection with Bulette until now.

sgm

Educated
Pronounced "Boo-lay" according to Tim Kask; who created it. Obviously a Frenchman that was exposed to FEV.

Bulette is in the first edition of DRAGON magazine, I remember reading about it for my thread on the magazine earlier this year.
LeFuBBC.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom