Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Translation release for Wizardry Gaiden I - Suffering of The Queen!!

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Just wanted to announce our release for the translation project on Wizardry Gaiden I - Suffering of The Queen.

The patch can be downloaded right here!

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2095/

Also expect a release for Wizardry Gaiden II soon :D

Wizardry%20Gaiden%201%20(U).png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%201%20-%202.png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%201%20-%205.png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%201%20-%204.png

Wizardry%20Gaiden%201%20-%20Shop.png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%201%20-Map.png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%202%20(U).png
Wizardry%20Gaiden%203%20(U).png

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Would like to do Gaiden II & III before taking on the PC & PlayStation versions as they could be more difficult to work with. Tangyi_Chang has a good start already on Gaiden II so far and it should see a release soon. I did a basic patch for Gaiden IV to translate all the smaller font but I am unable to do the larger sized font which comprises of main dialogue in the game... Need an expert ROM hacker to finish off that one.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Not yet. I might post a request for this as I haven't heard any feedback yet about it. The problem is finding people knowledgeable in this area that are not working on a project or two already. These gameboy versions are easier to work with as the small font is very easy to find and alter for the most part.

Stabwound

Arcane
These little Gameboy games would have been killer to play on the bus when I was a kid. Instead I played Final Fantasy Legend 3 ten times.

You know what would be incredible? Translations of the PS2 Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo

It doesn't seem like anyone will ever translate it and I realize it's leagues of effort and time needed compared to these old games, but it's a shame we never got this one in English.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
I was looking at some of the play-station ones. If I can do a font table and find relative searches to figure it out, it shouldn't be a problem but a lot of these newer games require expert know how to work on...

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Awesome job guys, this one is pretty brutal so far. The second floor is terrifying, ghouls that paralyze 100% of the time, samurais high enough level to cast spells, groups of 6 mages that each cast

mnpYJQR.png

These goddamn ghouls terrify the hell out of me. Anyway, this is great so far, thanks for translating this.

Definitely include a thief and a bishop in your group by the way. The enemies drop a lot of treasure and it's almost always trapped. I don't have a thief so my guys get poisoned constantly. I haven't gotten to the third floor yet, I'm just about to, but I'm guessing I'll absolutely need a thief by then. Trying for a ninja.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I fell through a chute to the 4th floor and 4 of my characters were wiped out in a single turn by a cockatrice with stone breath. I'm not going back there until I've got 2 people who can cast cure. I just got my lord, so I've got 3 people who can potentially cast it now.

Do you know what the stat requirements for ninjas are? You'd think because some racial maximums are 15, that would be the highest stat necessary to become one.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I haven't played this game yet but usually Ninjas should have 17s in all attributes!

From what I know, Japanese Wizardry games rarely deviate from that formula. But there may be some stat raising/class changing items you could use.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I don't think that's the case in this one because each race has different maximums - elves can have 20 intelligence and piety but 16 vitality, hobbits can only have 15 strength but 25 luck. If you need 17 in all stats then only gnomes can become ninjas.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't think that's the case in this one because each race has different maximums - elves can have 20 intelligence and piety but 16 vitality, hobbits can only have 15 strength but 25 luck. If you need 17 in all stats then only gnomes can become ninjas.

Hm, I just did a quick Google search and while this guide is for a different game (Wizardry Empire), it has the same racial maximums that you describe - and yet Ninjas still require all 17s:

http://www.angelfire.com/ult/ace/WZD_EMP_FnT_bestiary.html
(scroll down to "Character races" and "Character classes")

So it does look like only Gnomes can become Ninjas unless you use some kind of special items (provided there are any).

Perhaps the same applies for this game, too, although of course I can't say for sure.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Hahaha, wow! Good thing I have 2 gnomes in my group. What a dumb system, you'd think hobbits would be THE ninja race because they're fast (right???) but I guess not. Anyway, Wizardry Empire seems to have totally different systems than Gaiden 1 (gender, new classes, different racial stats) so I'm guessing they're not the same. But gatdam, only male gnomes being capable of becoming ninjas. That's dumb as hell.

Repressed Homosexual
If someone figures our class requirements/progression I'd appreciate posting a link here.

cboyardee, think you would like to make a dungeon crawler someday? You seem to have a vested interest in this genre.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
If someone figures our class requirements/progression I'd appreciate posting a link here.

cboyardee, think you would like to make a dungeon crawler someday? You seem to have a vested interest in this genre.
I don't know if I'll ever make a straight up Wizardry-style dungeon crawler on my own, but I have a looot of ideas for "blobbers". I also want to try applying ideas from Wizardry to other genres. In 2011, a couple pals and I made this platformer game called Mountain of Debt for a contest. It was made in like a week and a half so it's not much to look at but believe it or not, my main inspiration for the area design was Wizardry. I want to take Wizardry ideas even further with platformers; character building, class changing, non-linear area design with self-contained side dungeons, maybe even not having a clear goal or story. But obviously that's a long time from now.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron

I don't know if I'll ever make a straight up Wizardry-style dungeon crawler on my own, but I have a looot of ideas for "blobbers". I also want to try applying ideas from Wizardry to other genres. In 2011, a couple pals and I made this platformer game called Mountain of Debt for a contest. It was made in like a week and a half so it's not much to look at but believe it or not, my main inspiration for the area design was Wizardry. I want to take Wizardry ideas even further with platformers; character building, class changing, non-linear area design with self-contained side dungeons, maybe even not having a clear goal or story. But obviously that's a long time from now.

Looks good :) Got a download link for that game? Never-mind, just found it on the YouTube link!

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I also want to try applying ideas from Wizardry to other genres.
Ever heard of Sorcerian?

It's a platformer with ideas cribbed from Wizardry.
Yeah, I've been thinking about it a lot recently. The coolest thing about it is that in between each scenario, the characters go off and live their lives for like 12 years at a time. When you start the game, your characters are teenagers and when you end it, they're geriatrics. They're not professional adventurers who go off on quests all the time, they spent like 5 weekends exploring ruins and the rest of their lives farming or shoeing horses or whatever. It gets me thinking about character personalities and how in Wizardry, the most you know about your characters is that they are either good, neutral or evil. Your character's a priest but you don't know what kind, what they believe in, what being a priest entails, how they can be a priest if they spend all their time killing monsters in a dungeon, if they're even good at being a priest. When your character changes classes, they suddenly age 6 years. What happens in those years? How do they change?

Anyway, I've been thinking about dynamically generated personalities for Wizardry characters and Sorcerian is the game that planted the seed.

The platforming and puzzles are kind of tedious, the game itself is not great, but it's got cool ideas. If I recall, Zeliard was a kind of similar game. I think I liked it more.

Asaki

Novice
Hey guys, just stopped by to report that this translation doesn't seem to run on actual hardware (via Everdrive GB).

The Nintendo logo pops up, scrolls down, and then just sits there (or the GBC logo). The Wizardry Gaiden II patch works just fine.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, would love to play it.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
I have been thinking about this one... I remember when I was fooling around with some hex stuff to eliminate an annoying character that popped up during fight scenarios, i might have ommited a character that could have caused this... I'll check it out. Would you help me test against this to help me fix it Asaki?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom