Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Transport tycoon games - any favorites? (and discuss111!)

omega21

Arcane
I'm torn between buying A-Train 9 (jap autism), Cities in Motion 2 (DLC: the game) and Train Fever on Steam now.

Any personal favourites when it comes to transport tycoon games? I loved Railroad Tycoon 2, 3 didn't do it for me despite the improved economic model because the atmosphere of the game was totally off and everything could be automanaged.

Perkel

Arcane
Train Fever is legit. Played it good 100h+ and i want to back to it but there is always something...
Recent patch also added ton of good stuff so feature wise and gameplay wise it is better than original Locomotion which was by itself spiritual sequel to Transport Tycon.

There is always OpenTTD which got update just few days/week ago

Imo go with Train Fever.

here is thread i made (though it was for 1.0 version not updated)

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...locomotion-style-game-majestic-incline.94139/

major difference for + is that people are not commodity anymore. They have needs and some dude can take bus from station a then train in station b to finally move via tram to his house.

For comparison in OpenTTD/TT/Locomotion people are commodity and are "unloaded" at nearest station which is dumb as fuck and you can't really build network of passenger transports because alll those people your train loaded in big city will be unloaded at nearest station in shitty field instead of different city.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Scrounge through the Codex Playground for my LP of Transport Giant. Pretty good game, deeper mechanics than TTD, more realistic. Only flaws are fucking awful AI and no Z-Levels. I go back to it more often than TTD when I'm in the mood for jew corporate overlord simulation.

omega21

Arcane
Decided to get A-Train, jesus I was not prepared for this level of difficulty.

I might get Transport Giant and/or Train Fever as well, although I heard that Train Fever was a bit incomplete.

EDIT: Apparently the Steam version of Transport Giant has performance bugs, although the LP is fun Hellraiser.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Train Fever at 1.0 lacked a bit (especially waypoints) but now it is all good. It is really good game.

baturinsky

Arcane
I was trying to get into (Open) Transport Tycoon, but was turned off by unrealistic passengers that don't care where I transport them, as long as it's as far away as possible. Are all games in genre like that?

omega21

Arcane
Railroad Tycoon 2 has fluctuating passenger demands depending on city. Not all towns will request them, only if there is a substantial amount of housing there. So no money to be gained by shipping assloads of them to a small mining settlement, say.

On a side note, I wish RT2 simulated intra-city transport. Pretty silly that only trains can move things.

Angthoron

Arcane
I was trying to get into (Open) Transport Tycoon, but was turned off by unrealistic passengers that don't care where I transport them, as long as it's as far away as possible. Are all games in genre like that?
Decided to try out Train Fever, and looks like it has different mechanics behind it. People seem to have some demand of where to go to, and if your lines can satisfy the demand, they'll use that. If not, tough shit.

In practice, it means that if you want to have a properly filled inter-city train, you'll need to organize delivery of passengers to and from the stations from commercial/residential/leisure/home districts based on demands, because they sure as hell won't walk all the way from there. Was fun to discover that, my stations went from making colossal losses for the company to making huge profits, with side-income from the lines supplying the stations.

Perkel

Arcane

Train Fever and yes this is also my main gripe with OpenTTD and Locomotion.

Like user above said Train Fever has system in place that tracks every dude in city and changes where he works and spends time based on needs.
And it is damn good game at that proper imo spiritual sequel to Locomotion or TTD

latest a-train isn't like that. unfortunately everything else of that game sucks.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
baturinsky, Perkel

A new feature, CargoDist was added to the game in the 1.4 (I think) release. This addresses the problem you outline.

It is important to avoid carelessly spreading misinformation about free alternatives to commercial programs.

Also, baturinsky, Simutrans has cargo destinations as well.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
baturinsky, Perkel

A new feature, CargoDist was added to the game in the 1.4 (I think) release. This addresses the problem you outline.

It is important to avoid carelessly spreading misinformation about free alternatives to commercial programs.

Also, baturinsky, Simutrans has cargo destinations as well.

I played OTTD like 2 years ago. Does that mean that people will selectively drop at each station and you will be payed depending on trip distance and time ?

Perkel

Arcane
so i did reroll with OTTD and tried cargodist mentioned earlier.

It fixes a ton of problem how passangers were handled but still there are problems. First of all i don't remember stops or stations being so crowded in earlier game. I mean i started with something like 2k city and two stops for busses. Few months and there are like 1500+ passangers waiting so at this point i can basically create buss chain which is broken. Passanger tranporation is also totaly random since cities don't have any distinction for industry area or leisure so you plop stops how you want.

Imo currently Train Fever has the best implementation of TTD gameplay and it is hella harder than OTTD, locomotion or most of games because you need to think about how you plop your bus stops and where, plan road expansion and so on. Biggest difference here is also cargo. Industries want to produce and they will send cargo if 30min req is met. So for example if city is close they will send it without any help. Build truck connection and they will choose it as it is faster. TF also doesn't allow for full load spaming so no longer you will be able to build 15 long trains that will wait forever on station as you rating will improve it will be filled quickly. In TF there is no rating. Only time matters so if you will build connection to distant city via 3 truck stops and two trains industry will try to send it.

Big difference also is that ultimate product is "goods" and cities don't accept infinite amount of it. So if city had 36 goods / 36 that means it will no longer accept new goods which means industry without new city to spend its products won't also grow.

So you need to actually connect several cities and expand them (via goods and transportation) to earn fat money.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Perkel thanks for the tip with Train Fever I think if it is really as good as you said I will get into it sooner or later.

And re:Transport Giant, is this a new game or the rather bland one released some years ago?

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Perkel,

For industry, try out FIRS. You can download it in-game from Bananas.

Difficulty in openttd currently comes from player set goals, usually to do with thoroughfare. Join an openttdcoop server sometime and have a look at what they're up to.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Perkel thanks for the tip with Train Fever I think if it is really as good as you said I will get into it sooner or later.

And re:Transport Giant, is this a new game or the rather bland one released some years ago?

Not sure what you mean by bland, it was pretty good mechanically (apart from collisions/rail signals and lack of TTD-style voxel heightmap), but it is 11 years old.

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel,

For industry, try out FIRS. You can download it in-game from Bananas.

Difficulty in openttd currently comes from player set goals, usually to do with thoroughfare. Join an openttdcoop server sometime and have a look at what they're up to.

I played with FIRS.

I think problem is that game wasn't designed from getgo to handle cargodist so there are no people living in city they are statistical based. City isn't city but population cargo generator or cargo destination.

Still cargodist is hella improvement over traditional OTTD. It would be amazing if someone could mod in something comparable to TF where dudes will try to plan their road to somewhere. Like for example take train from city A then to city B train station --> train station is connected to bus station so bus to location C which is another tram station and from that tram station move to D.

I used asymetrical generator and it does look miles better than standard ottd

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
A-Train 9? THERE IS ONLY ONE!

YX2hZY4.jpg

Bask in it's glory! I even had an original copy. It was wonderful to play this game. See the cities grow.

omega21

Arcane
I would like to add: do not buy A-Train. The Western company in charge of localizing it bailed (and their spokesperson runs a very dubious blog about increasing internet sales!!!), and I've given up on understanding the mechanics.

Should have gotten Train Fever, will get it when it's next on sale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom