Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Travel back in time and destroy a young Codexer's hopes by saying something true but incomplete

Insert Title Here
"Video games will start to be legitimized as art. There will even be dedicated video games journalists!"

EDIT: Wait I realized this post sucks because there's no pithy way to distinguish between the old print stuff and nu-bloggers. For shame.

purpleblob

Savant
You will have to wait 18 years before you get a game that you can call a true spiritual successor of Baldur's Gate II, set in Pathfinder universe.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
More games will have dialogue options, that have been modified to appeal to a wider audience.

CRPGs will become extremely popular and widespread, to such an extent that no one knows what a CRPG is anymore.

Last edited:

Swigen

Arbiter
1996: In the future, gaems will have lots of extra unlockable levels, characters and costumes!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Isn't the title of this thread the opposite of what it really meant? Everyone is suggesting how to set up people for disappointments, not how to dash their hopes with a tricky phrase.

That's what I intended. "Crush their hopes" as in "Make them hope for something awesome in the future, but the hope will be crushed once the future arrives"

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Travel back to the so-called "Golden Age" and say, "Every single game you are currently playing will be entombed and forgotten in the future, because they didn't age well at all".

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
"In the 2010s, we will have bypassed the big money gatekeeping of companies like EA that stifle creative game design, and developers will simply go straight to gamers for funding!"

The warpig edition:
"Huge numbers of women will be having sex with guys after meeting them just ONCE on the internet!" (Chad could not into internet back then)

/pol/ edition:
"There'll be a lot more places to get authentic international food in the West: burritos, doner kebab, falafel, curry, you name it!"

Kind Request edition:
"In the future, there will be an authoritative blog about all the great RPG games, run by a woman!"

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This whole thread is like those utterly retarded blindly optimistic Zoomer kids on the YouTube comments section.

Howdy

2001: you will buy and play a game after you're friend says "you should play Planescape: Torment, it's the best". Years later, after bouncing off the game initially, you have a strange urge to go and explore that strange world, downloading fan patches and stumbling upon a little corner of the Internet, RPG Codex...

2019:

:despair:

"Why can I no longer go to the toilet without shit boxing for 20 fucking minutes, every damn time."

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Travel back to the glorious Renaissance era and say, "What you are playing now is the best you will ever play for the rest of your lives. Fallout will not be beaten, Jagged Alliance 2 will not be beaten and Deus Ex will not be beaten."

Howdy

Travel back to the glorious Renaissance era and say, "What you are playing now is the best you will ever play for the rest of your lives. Fallout will not be beaten, Jagged Alliance 2 will not be beaten and Deus Ex will not be beaten."

Hey Lilz, it's sooo fkn hot here!

I think I've understood most of your opinions on computer games. But what's your opinion on cool, sweet, jerky white boys with deep blue eyes though?

Saduj

Arcane
In the future you will be able to sit at home and play RPGs with other players who are also playing from their homes!

Open Path

Learned
In 2019 console gaming barely reaches a quarter of video games industry and every year console share falls a bit more. There will be a true paradigm shift in regard the dominant platform!

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Travel back to 90' and say : in the future politicians, media anf government will make a coordinate effort to promote "justice", no discrimination , ecology, "democracy", "peace". These messages will be everywhere included games

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
"Worried? My man, in the future Fallout, Deus ex and TES will be household names among gamers! The budgets dude, omfg the budgets."

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Ultima 9 will be released, with full 3d graphics and huge open world, and it will be the most memorable ending of a long RPG series"

"There will be released Pools of Radiance sequel titled Ruins of Myth Drannor, and you will never want to uninstall it"

"A company from France - Titus Software, will help keeping Interplay running while they were having financial problems"

Silentstorm

Learned
Don't worry, even after Ultima IX, EA will make sure Origin won't die and they will go ahead to have many games, i can guarantee it, young me.

Jeru

Novice
1997: Ultima Online - In future there will be other such games but with budgets of dozens or even hundreads of millions of $ !

Zer0wing

Cipher
I can travel as far as 2005. No internet. Too autistic to go outside of ISPs LAN. So don't judge.

-See, this is Fallout, an RPG masterpiece. You'll like it. Guess what? You will explore it from your eyes, in first person, in a mere three years when a new one comes out!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom