Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tree of Life- That 'ol UO feeling

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
No threads about this game yet and its a bit obscure still but man- I am having a blast. Its that 'ol UO feeling with a bit of SWG mixed in and haven and hearth without russians- plus a unique feel.

Dont let the cartoony graphics fool you- This is going to be a hardcore mmorpg and even at this stage in early access without everything implemented its no joke.

I'm not writing a review here- I stayed up all night last night and just woke uo and Im tired and want to start playing again.

-Anyhow....

official release is set for the end of the year and they claim there wont be a wipe (Theres going to HAVE to be a wipe...) but its $20.00 or $24.00 depending on which edition you buy and will be priced higher on release. there is alot of shit they need to fix/tweak(crime system is exploitable atm) and there are issues- Butthis is the closest to UO was at launch that I have ever seen. having a blast.

Let me know if you play or plan on it - Our group claimed a fantastic area and we could use people to come join us.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
So what is this? Permadeath, PVP?
Open world PVP but not full loot unless you go red. criminals can be fully looted. Crime system is fucked atm but they are working on fixing it and are listening to feedback. Right now only killing another player or picking a lock and stealing will turn you red so yellows can come in and slaughter your livestock, steal your crops, take your mounts etc-And if you kill them YOU get flagged. The more crimes you commit the longer you have to stay red up to 360 hours, I think- Only the top skilled players will be able to play red and for the others it might as well be permadeath since playing red is really hard and everyone kills you.. Soon there will be a 'grey'flag or something as they tweak the system.

Skill based system thats really interesting and and allows you to level up/down like UO. Tons of skills from breeding/training animals to using a specific weapon, Farming, carpentry,....massive list. (edit- Not massive list because things some things arent in yet- still decent amount of skills)You can only have a set number of points so you can max maybe 3-4 skills and that it. You will need other people in this game and you get only 1 character so reputation matters.

resources scattered across the map so trade guilds are forming and its awesome to have someone come to your town to trade and move on. There is going to be major drama and political shit going down with the guilds and alliances and its going to potentially be very interesting as the game grows.

It "feels" like UO did when it first started. A virtual world, no wikis (yet), and a really decent community outside the starter area.

B2P, no sub,cosmetic cash shop (cash shop not in the game yet).

Its worth the $20 even if they eventually fuck it up at launch. Its HARD and takes time to learn. This does not hold your hand and there are still issues with the system.

Still,'potentially' best MMORPG I have seen in forever .If they dont fuck it up as they add in and tweak the systems.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Game looks pretty slightly interesting. Will there be a monthly sub? (meh a cash shop is pretty bad for a game like this) What combat oriented skills are there? Can I be a a sweet Wizard like in UO? Are there tameable combat pets?

Last edited:

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Game looks pretty slightly interesting. Will there be a monthly sub? (meh a cash shop is pretty bad for a game like this) What combat oriented skills are there? Can I be a a sweet Wizard like in UO? Are there tameable combat pets?
-No monthly sub. cash shop for cosmetics (I am hearing rumors this will be like blueprints for craftable cosmetic items and different styles of armor but no stat changes). regardless its been 'promised"there will be no stat items and such and only cosmetic things.

No cash shop in the game at all currently and its not going to have one for quite awhile , I would say. Long enough to get your $24.00 worth =P

Combat skills-off the top of my head you have the basic weapons (bow,club, dagger, sword, etc..) plus Anatomy and...something else. The unique thing is in leveling skills to match stats. A fighter who fishes will have high dex and a fighter who mines high str, etc... Lots of ways to craft a toon. Lots of stuff still not implemented as well.

Can you be a sweet wizard? yes? But not yet lol. No magic system as of right now.

Tamable combat pets? Not that I am aware of. Hopefully though.

-Game is a riot.We are in a war with some fucking brazilians right now and the drama has gotten so high there is a thread on steam called "ethnic cleansing of the brazilians" http://steamcommunity.com/app/361800/discussions/0/618463738395439586/ and everyone pretty much agrees. A massive war happened in the North this weekend and the refugees have headed our way and have been using niggerdly tactics against us. We have had our city destroyed and been griefed, raided and Pk'd. We are now using game exploits against them such as building our gates in their cities and such.

I heard a hardcore Christian who is in our guild say "C'mere bitch. You are fucking with the wrong people!!!!!"

Worth every penny.

Buy this fucking game now.

EDIT- Right now im sitting inside their base which is in ruins. I had a buddy kill me so I was a ghost and then waited untilthey opened their gates and went inside. I taunted them once I rezzed and they killed me a hundred times but couldnt get rid of me. Logged on this morning and nobody was there but me and a base in need of a good destroying. Its a smoldering ruin as i type this.

Heres the thing- games is exploitable as fuck and broken in alot of ways. LOTS of people have left because its pretty brutal right now. they need to fix alot of things or there wont be a playerbase left in a year. I'm not sure ive ever seen so much rage that a game can cause but people get PISSED. people get personally pissed and want to kill you irl.

Theres a good chance this game gets ruined before release. This is a balancing act that the devs have to do and its going to be really hard to get it right.

All that said. I'm seriously having the time of my life even though we are being slaughtered. This is a blast. Ihighly recommend this even if you only play for a month or so.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Glad to hear that Magic is a planned feature. I'm kinda busy playing WoW on a vanilla server now, but when I hit 60 I'm gonna buy this game. Hopefully there will be some more features added in by then. Game sounds rather UO-y. My only real concern left is that there seems to be hackers running around pretty rampantly, if the forums are to be believed. Apparently there's a whole guild of people who use hacks lol.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Glad to hear that Magic is a planned feature. I'm kinda busy playing WoW on a vanilla server now, but when I hit 60 I'm gonna buy this game. Hopefully there will be some more features added in by then. Game sounds rather UO-y. My only real concern left is that there seems to be hackers running around pretty rampantly, if the forums are to be believed. Apparently there's a whole guild of people who use hacks lol.
Hacks are a possibility but I havnt seen it.

exploiting the game mechanics though is rampant to a ridiculous degree.

-Some people think hacks are happening when they arent- You can desynche in this game and cant tell unless you are on teamspeak or vent and your buddy says "where are you?" and you say "Right here in front of you" and they say "no you're not." and you say "Dumb fuck im waving my hands and doing a laugh emote" and this goes on until you realize that somehow things are fucked up and you have to reset the game. This probably explains why some people say there is an'invisible' hack or whatever. They probably arent synched with the server and something is killing them that they cant see. Whats weird though, is doors and stuff still work so there is no way to tell unless you are talking with people.

-Some people suck and then say "Hacker!!!!!" to not admit to themselves that they suck. I suck, but I dont blame everything on hacks.

-Some hacks might be going on but I dont think its very prevalent. I think botting will be a problem but I havnt even seen a bot and I'm all over the map.

This really has the potential to be one of the better mmorpgs ever made. This could be the real Game Of Thrones online since the potential for real politics is like nothing ive seen in a game. peoples attachments to their towns and really hard work gives an element of real risk to most of your actions. It might not be permadeath but you could be forced from a town you spent weeks/months/years building. Theres going to be huge alliances,backstabbing and butthurt and very real feelings .I'm seeing the shit already.

This could be the 'one' for all its faults.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Welp, seems like I'll be getting the game a bit sooner. My friends seem to be losing interest in WoW so I guess my eyes are on this game now. How solo friendly is this game? I'm gonna have a hard time convincing my friends to get a game like this so I'm probably gonna have to go at it alone and I seldom like to play with randoms on the internet.

Edit: Just to be clear: by solo play I don't mean that I want to completely avoid people, I just don't like to join communities of strangers. I don't mind interacting with others for trade or for a common short term goal, but otherwise I like to go at it alone.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Welp, seems like I'll be getting the game a bit sooner. My friends seem to be losing interest in WoW so I guess my eyes are on this game now. How solo friendly is this game? I'm gonna have a hard time convincing my friends to get a game like this so I'm probably gonna have to go at it alone and I seldom like to play with randoms on the internet.

Ask Scrooge about Tree of Life :M

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
How solo friendly is this game?

Not too much. Monsters will attack your walls and base and so will players when you are offline. You will wake up to have everything you built looted and destroyed. It's advised to join a community or settlement. The game so far seems cute and fun but also incredibly grindy, also I personally decided to wait for a few more patches before continuing to play.

Oh and the Day-Night cycle is too extreme, as in 10 minutes day - 10 minutes pitch black night during which you cannot do anything but stand at your fire basically.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

Not too much. Monsters will attack your walls and base and so will players when you are offline. You will wake up to have everything you built looted and destroyed. It's advised to join a community or settlement. The game so far seems cute and fun but also incredibly grindy, also I personally decided to wait for a few more patches before continuing to play.

Oh and the Day-Night cycle is too extreme, as in 10 minutes day - 10 minutes pitch black night during which you cannot do anything but stand at your fire basically.
I agree, soloing is probably virtually impossible unless you join some type of settlement. I suppose you could try, but its going to be really hard.

I would say you need at least 4-5 active daily players around you in order to keep a base for any real amount of time. Even then its going to be tough.

The game is set up to require every profession in order to really build the base and like scrooge said- Its grindy to level a profession. Trying to level a bunch of professions just to get the basic base set up would not be fun imho. Even leveling professions require other professions and at some point you will be stuck. For instance, my tailor needs pencils and rulers to make clothes to level up. I cannot make pencils and rulers so I have to have someone craft them for me . trying to solo this way would be really...really hard since youll be spending days looking for something you will need to progress.

When I started out it was me and one friend and pretty soon we realized we needed more than just us and started twisting arms to get other friends to play. Realistically you will probably need 10 people.

PM me if you want, our guild is making another chapter (the guild limit is 30 so one Guild is sometimes multiple guilds) and starting a new base in the far North. You are welcome to settle close to us either in the new base or our home base but the home base is still in a warzone and I wouldnt recommend going there until we have some peace which could be awhile. You dont have to join or anything but youll have people to help some - We are also in a ceasefire but that whole area is just not very friendly right now.

I actually deleted my guy and made a new one since I racked up 330 hours of being a criminal during the war so im on noob island as we speak =P

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

Day and night cycle makes me dizzy.Once you get streetlights though you can see perfectly inside your base and that helps a ton. There are also several different quality of torches and lanterns and eventually night is no big deal other than the extra monsters coming out.

Get one person to fish for a few days of gametime . Fishing is only half implemented so its all RNG right now and level means nothing so a level 1 fisherman will catch the same average as a level 50. You should get like 5-10 whales over the course of a few days fishing and the oil will be enough to keep the streetlights going for weeks of gametime easy plus you will amass a ton of food.

many of the inconvenient stuff goes away after you get certain items. Even sending messages (YES, you can send messages) once you build a mailbox. The stuff that seems terrible like the really dark night and no messaging is intended to be that way so as you progress the things you struggled with at first are no longer problems or whatever.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's a good offer. I might take up on it. I'm still thinking what I wanna do, though. Perhaps I need to dive in and just try everything and see what I like. I'm torn between wanting to be a peaceful trader or an Anti-PK PK.

Which server? EU or US?

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
That's a good offer. I might take up on it. I'm still thinking what I wanna do, though. Perhaps I need to dive in and just try everything and see what I like. I'm torn between wanting to be a peaceful trader or an Anti-PK PK.
Thats the best thing. Experiment for a bit.

Dont get discouraged. Dont let the griefers get to you. Its a tough game and right now the community is very good and very bad with little in between. You will struggle for a bit learning things and the translations dont help(a sawmill is called a "snow shredder").

yeah man- Any questions or things I can help with, let me know. And the offer stands anytime you want.

Have fun. You will either love this game or hate it. I think you'll love it if you get passed the learning curve.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I was a fan of UO and SWG. I also liked Runescape (lol) back in the day when there were was no dedicated PvP zone and it was FFA outside of towns. I'm used to griefing, ganking, and working with communities, I like that kind of stuff. Everything in this game sounds like it could be really good as long as they sort out the kinks. But I'm willing to give the game a chance now despite still being a rough experience. I'll just have to be patient with it when something really shitty happens like I get exploited the fuck outta by some slavs.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I was a fan of UO and SWG. I also liked Runescape (lol) back in the day when there were was no dedicated PvP zone and it was FFA outside of towns. I'm used to griefing, ganking, and working with communities, I like that kind of stuff. Everything in this game sounds like it could be really good as long as they sort out the kinks. But I'm willing to give the game a chance now despite still being a rough experience. I'll just have to be patient with it when something really shitty happens like I get exploited the fuck outta by some slavs.
You'll love the game then.

cannot wait to hear your impressions after a few days.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

I'm expecting great butthurt or lots of laughs. Probably both as they aren't mutually exclusive concepts. I still need to know which server I go on tho. EU or US?

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

I'm expecting great butthurt or lots of laughs. Probably both as they aren't mutually exclusive concepts. I still need to know which server I go on tho. EU or US?
We're on USA server. We have the Brazilians here as well. EU server has to deal with the Russians.

I would say if you plan to solo on the USA server I would recommend the South. I dont know a whole lot about the politics down there but the North is becoming less and less english speaking by the day and I hear its not as bad in the South. Even if you decide to link up later with us, we can come get you and show you where the base is but you will have better luck with the language barrier I would think.

I know somewhere down South (SE I think) is a big guild running an extortion racket and forcing people to mine for them or get wiped out (lolz) so wherever you go- Ask around before settling and be prepared things to change really quickly.

EDIT- Yes, you'll have both. Maybe at the same time. game is emotional and also funny. Its hilarious to see how serious people get including myself.if you can laugh at yourself it will go a long way.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
The only thing ceasing me from buying into this game are bugs and sync problems. No way I'm gonna pay 20€ for another buggy mess. I'll stick to SWGemu until discount or something.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
My quick impression based on 80 minutes of gameplay: I haven't gone very far off the beach yet. I'm familiarizing myself with the UI, the skills, the stats, what I can do and all that. The game is pretty intuitive and easy to get into, but I can see there being a lot of depth down the line. Right now I'm building my food reserves with meat and fish so I can move inland. I'll have to go soon since the wood is running out and soon I won't have enough to cook my food and keep me safe during the night. My only complaint about the game is that the Day/Night cycle is way too fast, as Scrooge mentioned. Also, I don't know if the devs have been outside a city in the boonies ever before, but the world doesn't get this dark during the night, unless you are in a dark forest with huge ancient trees that block out the sky. I should know, my uncle left me alone in such a place at 1AM when I was some 10 years old. It's unrealistically dark and pretty hard to get anything done during the night. I wish they'll look at the Day/Night cycle, because it's not very fun that you basically have to go AFK every 10 or so minutes. Other than that I'm really liking what I'm playing. Even my wife got interested in this game.

GM_JamesPro

Savant
Hope to see you up in the northwest Hobo. Like Dark said it is quickly becoming a warzone up here in our main region. There was a Raiding Guild that took a town over right next to us Sunday and with in 24 hours the entire landscape changed. We have alliances with several large guilds in the area and more then likely our Ceasefire won't hold much longer. It's really been a blast so far. Dark and I have put in about a hundred hours into the game so far. So much potential here!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I moved away from the first newbie island into the 2nd larger newbie island. I built a small shabby settlement with a few arrow towers. I'm stocking up on my food reserves for a longer trip into the main island. When I have enough food, I'll be making the trip to the northwestern region to meet up with you guys. My in-game character's name is Branwell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom