Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Trent in Trouble: Beamdog forbidden from selling and patching BG:EE, BG2:EE on "indefinite hold"

Micmu

Magister
No patching, eh? So the retards actually buying this will be left with unplayable mess... forever.
Excellent outcome. ;)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Delterius Speaking of Interplay, they're going to lose the rights to sell FO1, FO2 and FO:T in 2014. After that happens, the value of the company will be so low that Brian Fargo could easily buy it back if he wanted to, using Wasteland 2's profits. I wonder if he'd even consider it.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
If theyre losing the rights but refuse to sell to someone else what happens to F1/2 on GOG?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If theyre losing the rights but refuse to sell to someone else what happens to F1/2 on GOG?

Presumably, they go down until GOG renegotiates a distribution deal with Bethesda, who will then be the full owners of the Fallout franchise.

Delterius

Arcane
Infinitron

It would be rather funny, if not poetic. But I think the InXile brand is just really powerful: Interplay and Black Isle nostalgia may be powerful enough to draw people other than the Caens into donating for V13, but the InXile is tells a story. Its tied to their whole rethoric and Fargo's marketting turned it into a celebration of Kickstarter and 'old skool gaming' itself.

He might buy it out of care for the brand and its history, to deliver a more dignified death. But that's it. Unless Interplay has something interesting under its name - assets of canceled yet interesting projects and such.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
:eek: Brian better start a kickstarter if WL2 can't get him enough.

Uh no, I think you've misunderstood. Buying the rights to sell the original Fallouts wouldn't extend the deadline. Interplay's contract with Bethesda allowed them to sell them until the end of 2013, and that's it. Why would Bethesda not sell the games on their own after that?

SwiftCrack

Arcane
:eek: Brian better start a kickstarter if WL2 can't get him enough.

Uh no, I think you've misunderstood. Buying the rights to sell the original Fallouts wouldn't extend the deadline. Interplay's contract with Bethesda allowed them to sell them until the end of 2013, and that's it. Why would Bethesda not sell the games on their own after that?

I realized that it was about Interplay and not fallout after posting, but I figured I'd let a codexian scold me first :smug:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
BG:EE would have been palatable if, after realizing they couldn't actually enhance anything, they simply marketed it as a port to mobile platforms. But they decided to keep pretending that they were enhancing things so they could re-sell the game to everyone on the PC platform and piled shit onto the game.

Koschey

Arcane
Can't say I feel sorry. I'm glad we'll be spared a Planescape: Torment - Fucked-up Edition.
:thumbsup:

communard

Arcane
Fuck. I don't even know man. On one hand the schadenfreude is fucking orgasmic on the other I just feel sad about being such a fucking cynic. BG was THE game for me as a teenager and I've spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours on it, not even counting the sequel. I didn't even pirate this fucking mess. Trent is a cunt, the gaming industry is retarded and I hate everything. Time to break out the exit bag.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fuck. I don't even know man. On one hand the schadenfreude is fucking orgasmic on the other I just feel sad about being such a fucking cynic. BG was THE game for me as a teenager and I've spent hundreds upon hundreds of hours on it, not even counting the sequel. I didn't even pirate this fucking mess. Trent is a cunt, the gaming industry is retarded and I hate everything. Time to break out the exit bag.
That's not cynicism, that's sanity. To clearly see through Trent's marketing bullshit and not be blinded by nostalgia is a sure sign of a healthy mind, let the other bastards that have brought upon us this abomination be stuffed into bags instead.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Always sorry to hear of anyone daring to do getting fucked for any reason, and I do wish them the best. On the other hand...just played BGEE and BG2 GoG Edition through and didn't see how the EE improved on Tutu at all. I wanted so badly to believe in this project, too. =( I hope for their sake BG2EE makes the market and I'll pry pick it up regardless just to show solidarity. But the sad fact is these guys are trying to monetize what the BG fanbase has been doing better for free since BG2's release. ugh so depressing. If I were a tablet owner (and mods worked on iPads, gotta patch in my gayness), I guess I'd still be celebrating such an awesome mobile experience. But I ain't, for now. saaad

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Always sorry to hear of anyone daring to do getting fucked for any reason, and I do wish them the best. On the other hand...just played BGEE and BG2 GoG Edition through and didn't see how the EE improved on Tutu at all. I wanted so badly to believe in this project, too. =( I hope for their sake BG2EE makes the market and I'll pry pick it up regardless just to show solidarity. But the sad fact is these guys are trying to monetize what the BG fanbase has been doing better for free since BG2's release. ugh so depressing. If I were a tablet owner (and mods worked on iPads, gotta patch in my gayness), I guess I'd still be celebrating such an awesome mobile experience. But I ain't, for now. saaad

Yeah, I had some hope in the project, but even from an artistic perspective what they did was hideous. Shit, how they are so fucking blind to find that ugly colored interface an enhancement? And those blurry backgrounds for the new areas? Even I when I started on AoD could make better looking textures. It's like they weren't even fucking trying.

Alex

Arcane
It is always a pity to see legalism interfere in game development, even if I don't care for what they were developing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom