Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card-Based Trials of Fire - card-based tactics in a post-apocalyptic fantasy world

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This is currently in a humble bundle.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker, try this next.

Could have sworn I posted an update to this in this thread. Unfortunately like I said in Lacrymas’ review thread, the game is way too combo reliant for me. It’s why I couldn’t get more than superficially into StS either. I don’t enjoy these rogue-like TCGs where literally every single run you know beforehand that your goal is to assemble the most broken combo you can get your hands on.

I’d rather just draft on Arena when the TCG fever hits then.

I really like the item system and the hex combat, but the combo reliancy just kills it for me.

Lacrymas

Arcane
So, I've been playing this again and trying out something other than the ol' reliable Hunter/Elementalist/Warrior party, but it's not going super well. I went for Assassin/Witch/Warrior and I kinda don't understand how to play the Witch well. That card stealing she does is super expensive and her class ability doesn't get much support from her other cards. It seems like you can build her however way you want (support, melee, ranged, magic damage) with equipment, but her class-specific cards don't support anything specific which means they don't support anything and it's like you are trying to play two different builds with her at the same time. Anyone find a good use for her? Theoretically, I know what she's trying to be, but practically it rarely works out.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone find a good use for her?
I'm pretty sure the witch is a man.

It's been a while, but I remember having him just chill out in most fights, using his cards to pay for the cards of the other two, but he comes to the rescue big time in boss battles because stealing or removing cards from bosses' hands makes a huge difference. Most bosses come alone, so reducing their cards is quite helpful for disabling them or at least reducing their damage output. I don't think I ever found a good use for him in regular battles against hordes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Unfortunately like I said in Lacrymas’ review thread, the game is way too combo reliant for me.
After playing it for quite a while, I'd say this is wrong or at least not the whole picture. I've been running a Warrior/Assassin/Witch parties and I haven't come across a way to assemble a broken combo yet, but I can win a game on hard. Perhaps combo assemblage is absolutely necessary on higher difficulties, but it certainly isn't on hard. The bigger problem is the randomness of which bosses you are going to get, especially the last one. The red dragon that seems to be everyone's favorite requires decks specifically built for him for example. Even if you do have a bullshit combo, it's not going to save you if you can't survive his constant AoE damage until you assemble it. Either way, it all depends on difficulty level imo. If you don't want to constantly play the combo game, play on a lower difficulty.

vazha

Arcane
newbie questions:
1. IF i have unspent willpower, will it move into the second turn?
2. I currently have 5 heroes unlocked, and need 2 more bosses to get the 6th. Yet I did 3 long runs and couldnt stumble upon any bosses in side missions. What to do?
3. Is there a barbarian-type hero? Lotsa damage, shit defense type?

Lacrymas

Arcane
1. No.
2. Bosses are only typically found on the main quest, there are some instances of bosses randomly found in exploration spots, but are rare. What do you mean by "doing" 3 long runs? It only counts the bosses if you defeat them and they should be different, i.e. not defeating only the giant moth 3 times.
3. Yes, but it's not a barbarian type.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom