Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 3 remake)

Ent

Savant
Theres apparently a skill in the trailer called Magic Smash that has a 30% chance to debuff magic damage and defense on a crit which would be awesome for Rogue or either of the ninja hawks. I want more cool abilities to build characters around.

Ent

Savant
It looks like they sped up the experience gain in this game if the party is already 3rd class LVL. 45 by Fiegmund.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

I pre-ordered.

Looks fucking amazing. Is it using UE4 as well? Looks like they put the art team from DQ11 to work on this in some way, looks great.

As an aside it is amusing that this demo play they used for this footage wasn't v-synced or s-synced correctly so there was camera stutter when panning the camera, kek.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Final trailer is up. I shed a nostalgic tear when you music kicked in at 19 seconds. I'm beyond excited to play this

Ent

Savant
Combat is pretty easy even on hard but I only have the starting area and first boss to go by which was just as easy on the SNES. Kevin and Hawk feel the best out of gate because of how their attacks combo (which is also how I felt about them in the original).

Tigranes

Arcane
I don't know anything about Mana. What I see in these videos is horribly generic overwrought painful anime character design, brought to life in mobile game art styles, running around smashing A in real-time monster bashing. What am I missing? Tell me how I am wrong and why I should play this

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I don't know anything about Mana. What I see in these videos is horribly generic overwrought painful anime character design, brought to life in mobile game art styles, running around smashing A in real-time monster bashing. What am I missing? Tell me how I am wrong and why I should play this

Combat in the remake is pretty good from the little I played the demo. There are light and heavy attacks as well as super moves. The story changes depending on who you picked for your main character which makes the game worth playing through 6 times. The characters have the same design they had in the SNES game so maybe you just don't like jrpgs or anime. I don't see any reason the art style should be compared to mobile games

Tigranes

Arcane
What is the point of interesting decision-making or skill in this combat system? Is it about kiting and flanking? Is it about fine-grained space management (which seems very unsuited to this camera angle)? Is it more in the direction of something like FF12 where you have an OTS camera and free movement but the guts of the system is more about combat resource management and selecting the right attack type? Like, some systems are all about the pleasure of aiming the right attack and dodging theirs, some systems are about setting up elaborate chains of debuffs and attacks.

Genuinely curious, because a lot of people clearly like this series and I'm assuming I'm the ignorant one

I can get over the art style if the gameplay has something to it. I play some of the newer fire emblems after all. I guess I keep thinking "does everybody have to look like they're wearing 18 overelaborate costumes at the same time"

Trials-of-Mana-Dated_09-04-19.jpg

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I can't go into detail about the combat because I quit about two minutes into the demo. I only hopped in long enough to beat the tutorial fight as Durant. I didn't want to kill some of my enjoyment on release day by having to replay stuff. In the original game the camera was fixed and combat was more about spacing than anything else. I assume it will be similar here. The main draw of the game mechanics is the class change system. In the original you could choose to go either light or dark for the first class then light or dark again for the second class which resulted in a bunch of different combinations. Light/Light, Dark/Light, Light/Dark, or Dark/Dark for each character. I hear in the remake there will be a third class change and a higher level cap but that may be post-game stuff. The story isn't top tier or anything but it is pretty good if a little jrpg generic. If you have Kevin on your team he's a little more interesting than the other characters since he turns into a werewolf at night and can later change at will with a certain class iirc.

Personally I don't care for the Mana series. Seiken Densetsu 3 is the only one I ever liked. I'm pretty happy that it got this remake since the original was pretty buggy. Also the music in this series is legendary and I like what I've heard in the remake.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For me, it's a bit of nostalgia, as I liked the original a lot, but also to scratch the Ys urge. Not that I think it will compare, but whatever.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I knew about that but I don't want to play partway and then take a break for over a month. I like my gaming sessions to be more sequential than that

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
just tried out the Trials of Mana steam demo and so far it's just as i expected, though the english VA is particularly bad, so much so that i had to change the voices to JPN which i rarely do.

started the game with Hawkeye as main and picked the spear girl and the little elf girl as companions. Gotta say the graphics are a tad bit more low-budget than I actually expected, but that's fine. It's definitely nowhere near the level of DQ11 in terms of production value, that's for sure, this game is a budget title thru and thru. (But again, that's fine, I just for some reason thought it wasn't).

Jinn

Arcane
I wish they'd just release the SNES version with the official translation that they did on the Switch on PC. Would much rather play that. Not to say this looks like a bad remake, but just not what I'd prefer.

This looks like a decent effort, and will probably grab it on sale someday.

Modron

Arcane
Can't you just emulate the switch version? That's what I am going to do with the River City Ransom collection when it comes out since they haven't announced anything to do with porting it to pc.

Jinn

Arcane
Can't you just emulate the switch version? That's what I am going to do with the River City Ransom collection when it comes out since they haven't announced anything to do with porting it to pc.

Well

1. I'd like to "vote with my dollar" and support official translations of classic games, particularly on the PC.

2. I don't touch modern Nintendo emulation.

Basically I don't understand why they don't just do it. It couldn't be that hard of a port if they have it running on the Switch already.

Absinthe

Arcane
English voice acting is fucking terrible. No idea why they settled for mediocre voice actors who are blatantly reading a script but it will cost them sales. Some of the voices are downright painful to listen to. At least you can do Japanese voices with English text. Just muting all character voices would also be a strong improvement over English voices. Seems both the translators and then the English voice actors have taken it upon themselves to worsen the original Japanese text. That aside, the game seems to be a pretty faithful implementation of the original, but it's clear that the 3D transition has cost it some of the charm of the original all the same. Animation work and lighting don't quite pull off the same effect as the original did. Gameplay so far appears to be a step up based on what I've seen, but I'm not sure. If the combat is better that would make me consider purchasing it, but if it's going to be Steam-only then that rules it out for me anyway.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
The combat is always a joke early on. The demo stops before the prologue finishes, before you even recruit your third party member. It ramps up in difficulty later. The question is whether it will ramp up enough.

EDIT: It seems the remake is moving towards becoming easier, if anything, so no. Characters can specialize their builds more easily and being able to reset your build into new abilities is a thing so you can switch builds to specialize against whatever you're fighting (the Square Enix guy even seemed to be selling this as a positive). The game is also telegraphing attacks too damn much and making it pretty effortless to avoid getting hit. That's pretty bad.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
Combat is boring. Action based rpgs are a snooze fest when designed with casuals in mind. Square enix making all their jrpgs now with dog shit kingdom hearts 2 combat system now, sad!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom